FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Julian's Dining Room and Lounge, Ormond Beach , FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Julian's Dining Room and Lounge, Ormond Beach , FL (restaurant)
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 09:05 am   Permalink

Name:Julian's Dining Room and Lounge
Type:restaurant
Street:88 South Atlantic Avenue
City:Ormond Beach
State:FL
Zip:32176
Phone:(386) 677-6767

Description:
Julian's is a restaurant and bar that has been in business since 1967. It has been owned by the same family all that time. A few years ago, it was purchased by someone else in the family (no specific details on exactly who that is, but it is a couple and they were working the reservation desk and seating people). But despite the change in ownership, as far as I can tell, the place looks the same. Julian's claims to fame are its imposing A frame entrance and its spectacular Polynesian mural behind the sunken bar.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2008-01-21 09:48 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 09:31 am   Permalink

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:48 pm   Permalink

GatorRob

Thanks for those great photos. It is really awesome to see an old place like that still standing and in such great shape.

Here are some shots from an old postcard I have from Julian's. It looks the same today.

Here is a menu I have from Julian's

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 09:25 am   Permalink

What is that in the middle of the A-frame in the drawings? A mask or a shield? Whatever it was, if it ever existed at all on the actual building, it's not there now.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 09:42 am   Permalink

It looks almost like a turtle shell, but I think it' supposed to be PNG shield. That postcard is great, interesting that the buildings on the side had those weird beams extending to the pavement.

I always wished I would find a photo of the interior walls before they applied that garish paint to the shields, too bad this is so small. But you can make out that Witco "Balinese Goddess" wall hanging in the middle that is not there anymore. Bill Westenhaver told me he spent several months in the area, paying the hotels and restaurants with carvings in exchange for food and lodging.

Man I hope that place will last, I love it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 9:42 pm   Permalink

Just picked up a matchbook from Julian's making it a paper tri-fecta: Postcard, menu, matchbook. Did not get to go by here on my latest trip to Florida, will have to check it out on the way to Hukilau next year!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-30 12:52 am   Permalink

We had a really enjoyable dining experience last night at Julianís in Ormond Beach. The waitress noted that the recent history of Julianís has been a bit rocky, starting when the original owners sold the business about six years ago. Under new owners, the business eventually went under, and has only come back in the last several months. Our experience suggests that the new start is promising.

The building exterior, with its magnificent A-frame entry, looks much as it did when GatorRob last visited in 2008, though a bit of remodeling and repainting is evident...

On entering, one is greeted by a tiki at the hostess station, but your focus goes immediately to the striking Hawaiian mural on the back wall behind the bar...

Off to the right is another mural which seems to have been added since GatorRobís visit...

On the left wall are backlit shields and Witco carvings...

Mid-century lounge music plays in the background. Weíre offered drinks and order Mai Tais. The drinks that arrive are a nice, stiff Planterís Punch with enough Myerís dark rum to give you a pleasant buzz after downing several...

My son, Tommy, and his friend, Kathy, are digging the retro atmosphere...

The Chicken Satay appetizers are awesome, and then the entrees arrive, including lightly Blackened Salmon, New York Strip Steak, Grilled Mahi Mahi and Linguine Frutti de Mare. All are excellent. The service is great and the prices are moderate. We finish by sharing a CrŤme Brulee, very rich and artfully presented. After nearly three hours, we left, very happy to have chosen Julianís...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-30 08:17 am   Permalink

Wondering what the online news archives might reveal about Julianís, I ran across this photo caption at the beginning of it all...

Daytona Beach Sunday News-Journal July 1, 1967

This club meeting note indicates that Julianís did meet its December 1967 opening date target...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal December 9, 1967

Through tragedy, we learn that the name of the artist who created that striking Hawaiian mural across the back wall of Julianís Dining Room is Douglas Hines...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal November 26, 1973

In 1997, the 30th anniversary year of Julianís Dining Room and Lounge, the City of Ormond Beach declared December 22 as ďJulianís DayĒ to honor Julian Lopez, the owner, for his civic and philanthropic contributions to the community. Among the tributes, we learn that Julian Lopez is a longtime Shriner (presumably with fez)...

Orlando Sentinel December 18, 1997

Orlando Sentinel December 19, 1997

In 2006, there was a change in ownership as GatorRob's source and our waitress observed. Various reviews started referring to ďJulianís Landmark Steak & Seafood Restaurant,Ē a subtle name change...

Orlando Sentinel December 31, 2006

After the ownership change, especially over the past year or so, the online restaurant reviews reflect erratic service and food quality, sometimes superb and sometimes disastrous. You wonder if these could all be about the same place.

On February 4, 2011, the Volusia County official records show that bankruptcy was filed by Daria Vidas, as President of B&V Florida Holdings, LLC, listing Julian & Wenceslaa Lopez (the original Julianís owners) as principal creditors with a $950,000 claim.

A newspaper article discusses this and states that Julianís will continue to operate without interruption, all corroborating the waitressí story from my earlier post, though hinting of a more complex tangle...

Daytona Beach News-Journal March 5, 2011

Hereís a Motherís Day ad highlighting the newest owners...

Lifestyle Magazine of Florida May, 2011

Julianís deserves to live on, if the atmosphere, service and food quality from last night is an indicator. Iíd recommend that fellow TCíers give it a try when youíre in the neighborhood.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 08:34 am   Permalink

TikiTomD,

Thanks for the photos and the restaurant review. Interesting to read in that first article that the owner Julian Lopez also owned the Tropics in Ormond Beach. I have this matchbook from the Tropics.

Looks like Julian's was not the first foray into Tiki for Mr. Lopez. Would like to hear more about the Tropics...

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 08:53 am   Permalink

Ok I did a little digging this morning on the Tropics to Julian's connection.

The Tropics was located in the shopping center at Ellinor Village which featured a giant...

You guessed, an A-Frame that is just like the A-Frame that Julian built for his new restaurant.

You can barely make out the Tropics restaurant sign right next to the A-Frame in this postcard I found on-line. It also looks like it says "Julian's in the same font next to Tropics.

We can certainly see where Mr. Lopez got his inspiration!

DC

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:20 am   Permalink

Nice work, DC, on digging up visuals for The Tropics and Ellinor Village.

Here's a bit more of the story connecting Julian Lopez, The Tropics and Julian's...

Hometown News December 21, 2007

Regarding Ellinor Village, here's an excerpt from a realtor's web site...

A more contemporary view from Google Maps...

-Tom

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:34 am   Permalink

Thank you guys, excellent work! Great to find out the pre-history of Julian's, DC. And I had no idea how rocky its RECENT history had been, Tom!

Phew, it seems Julian's has escaped the downfall for the moment. I hope that with its ups and downs it did not alienate its regular retiree clientele that I saw when I dined there in 2006. Those are the people who will keep a place like this alive. I love that place, my favorite experience was seeing an Asian female lounge singer perform Patsy Cline songs on the stage that sits on top of the sunken bar - with that mural in the background. I don't remember as many Witco pieces hanging there, maybe they pulled some out of storage.

Yeah, that Cinemascope-sized mural is second to none. What a tragic story about the artist. Well, seems he was a free spirit, being an experimental plane guy.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:51 am   Permalink

DC, I found a bit more on The Tropics and its connection to Julianís from a deep dive into the news archives. The article below indicates that The Tropics began life all the way back in 1950. Julian Lopez apparently not only got his idea on employing the A-frame from The Tropics, but also large wall murals (Pirates in this case, rather than Polynesians). Iím sorry the microfiche source is such poor quality, as clear interior images would be priceless. It was even worse than bad, as the whole page was photographed at an off-angle, so I spent a fair amount of time cutting, rotating and piecing this together...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal May 26, 1950

The excerpt that follows is from a larger article on area restaurants and indicates that Julian Lopez started work as a chef at The Tropics circa 1960, presumably leaving in 1967 to establish his own Julianís Dining Room and Lounge that opened on December 22, 1967. It was stated that The Tropics had been open for 12 years, corroborating its 1950 opening date from the earlier article above.

Daytona Beach Morning Journal June 23, 1962

Bigbrotiki, retirees were fairly represented in the Sunday night attendance at Julian's. Some were clearly regulars as the staff seemed to know them and what they wanted. Several couples danced to the lounge music in the area off to the left where the shields and Witco carvings hang. A fair number of tourists also entered. More regulars intent on drinking and watching sports on TV could be found at the "tiki bar" hidden on the southwest end of the building, accessed from the dining area through the doors to the kitchen. Live entertainment wasn't present on Sunday, but we noticed that it was posted when we drove by on Saturday afternoon.

-Tom

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 5:56 pm   Permalink

That sounds good all around, Tom, thanks, I am relieved.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-02 09:54 am   Permalink

DustyCajun, I zoomed in on your 1959 Ellinor Village B&W photo and then sharpened it up using a filter in a photo editing program. You can clearly see The Tropics sign next to the A-frame, flanked by what appear to be thatched A-frame porticos...

Hereís a 1940s postcard of that same Ellinor Village shopping center, before the time of The Tropics and A-frame structure...

I had no luck finding any photos, menus or other visual trinkets from The Tropics anywhere on the web. Your matchbook cover seems to be the only bone from the dig.

When I drove by it last weekend, the buildings were intact, but the Ellinor Village shopping center is all but vacant now.

-Tom

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation