FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Julian's Dining Room and Lounge, Ormond Beach , FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Julian's Dining Room and Lounge, Ormond Beach , FL (restaurant)
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 9:14 pm   Permalink

picked this up recently - this pack is full with some printing on the inside cover.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-28 03:21 am   Permalink

Nice find, Tipsy! Similar, but a variation on the matchbook cover previously posted by DC... and we learn who the contractor was! Assuming that information wasn't also on the inside cover of DC's matchbook, that would suggest your's is from an earlier time, close to the opening date of The Tropics and perhaps printed before it opened.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-15 10:53 am   Permalink

Good news!:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20131014/BUSINESS/131019695/1024?Title=New-life-for-local-landmark-Veteran-restaurateur-plans-to-reopen-former-Julian-8217-s-under-new-name-concept

"...Belden, 69, has worked in the hospitality industry since the 1960s, when he tended bar in college.
He managed resorts in Hawaii and Australia before he moved to the Daytona Beach area in the early 1970s to work for the late hotelier Tom Staed. Belden managed the Beachcomber and Treasure Island hotels, which were then part of Staed’s company, Ocean Eleven Resorts...."

Under a new concept, oh well, but it's better than a tear down. And with a name like "Mango Cove", maybe they will even keep that awesome mural...

This thread is another great example of united TC research, it would be nice to see this place live on.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-10-15 10:57 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-23 4:20 pm   Permalink

Here is a magazine ad for Julian’s, circa 1969…

When I drove by the defunct Julian’s site today, the “For Sale” sign still says “Contract Pending.” There has yet been no activity at the site. The October 2013 newspaper article that Sven posted of a pending sale indicated a desire to complete that transaction within a month. It has only been a couple of months since then, and these transactions are often more complex than anticipated, so there’s probably no reason to yet be concerned. The buyer’s stated desire was to retain the basic Julian’s structure, but add a rooftop deck and beer garden, presumably to the flat-roofed portion of the building behind the A-frame. He may be exploring those proposed changes in advance with the City of Ormond Beach, notoriously tough on code compliance.

DeTiki and Tiki-Troll, who posted earlier about acquiring Julian’s Witco and other décor items, decided to part with one of the pair of Julian’s freestanding Tikis. I am the fortunate buyer. They intend to keep the other. So one will remain in Ormond Beach within a mile of Julian’s at their home, and the other will reside at my home bar in Flagler Beach, less than fifteen miles from Julian’s. Here are the pair of them, moments before they parted way…

DeTiki and Tiki-Troll kindly let me choose which one I wanted, so I took the one on the right. Here it is in its
new home at the Blowfish Bar.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-24 06:21 am   Permalink

How long has it been since they stayed open until 2AM every day including Sundays.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-12-24 06:21 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-24 12:49 pm   Permalink

Nice job TikiTomD. Glad to see that the Julian's Tikis found these great homes!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-04 1:08 pm   Permalink

While rummaging around the State Archives of Florida, I came across this photo simply labeled, "Ellinor Village Night Club"... it is dated August of 1950...

State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory
http://floridamemory.com/items/show/69981

From the pirate mural on the wall, it is easy to identify this as an interior photo of Julian Lopez's first restaurant, The Tropics, which opened in early 1950. This is the only photo I've come across showing the interior after it opened. Too bad it's not in color.

-Tom

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-05 08:11 am   Permalink

Nice find! As the matchbook reveals, there was one third more to it than the photo shows:

To me, ANY documentation of these lost-forever pieces of art is important. Here is a photo from an unknown location that's gonna be in my new book:

The bamboo screen caught the flashlight and obscures the fact that the mural is continuous behind it. I am assuming from where I found the pic that the location is San Diego...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-05 10:39 am   Permalink

Awesome

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-05 10:08 pm   Permalink

This entire thread is so great. When I first started going to Julians 15 years ago, they told me Julian was a Cuban refugee and started out washing dishes at the Tropics. Thanks for all the research, news clips, etc. Brings back good memories of the tiki gatherings we had there.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-07 6:30 pm   Permalink

…and that Asian Patsy Cline singer on the stage on top of the bar!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation