[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Why I had to leave Germany:
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Why I had to leave Germany:
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 5:55 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfKQoDBdim0&feature=related

if I ever was unclear about that.... just viewing these beer hall Germans proudly schunkeling to Paul Kuhn's evergreen "There Is No Beer On Hawaii- (that's why I will stay here!)", with Paul wrinkling his nose at tropical cocktails, sets me straight. Certainly a cliche pop culture in its own right, it hits to close to home. I had to escape and discover my own.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 6:20 pm   Permalink

As much as I like a good beer it's little match. My liver likes it fast and rough.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 6:26 pm   Permalink

What a bunch of happy Germans....

Nice clip..

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 6:29 pm   Permalink

Wow. Paul Kuhn could have saved the Primo Brewery.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 6:36 pm   Permalink

I love happy Germans!

I'll be in Potsdam in 3 weeks for a conference (no seriously, it's a real business conference) Then on to Stuttgart then Zurich and home.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 6:38 pm   Permalink

whats with his eyebrows? they look like they are pasted on in the wrong place

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 8:32 pm   Permalink

Those are eye toupees...

Better than NO eyebrows because you're an ALBINO !!! ...drinking Whiskey, singing in fake South American Spanish!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-v5ShRyUo

I think ROY BLACK has very pretty eye brows, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFupd2bYYpQ

Dig that dramatic dimming lights effect. But we are getting too far off the subject here, just having U-Tube fun...

...so let's go back to this German interpretation of a rich American tourist on a cruise ship. Nice shirt, nice set!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHla1xRvx1I

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-23 20:57 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-23 9:42 pm   Permalink

Ay ya ya...those were painful...good thing you did escape.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 07:53 am   Permalink

honestly, this past september i sat in the spaten tent and drank 4 liters of beer, then was in trader vic's munich hours later drinking fog cutters and mai tais.

no problem for me with that!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 09:02 am   Permalink

For some reason, I now feel justified in putting my beer stein collection in my Tiki bar! Just have to play the song if anyone asks!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 07:53, Johnny Dollar wrote:
honestly, this past september i sat in the spaten tent and drank 4 liters of beer, then was in trader vic's munich hours later drinking fog cutters and mai tais.
no problem for me with that!

Sure...but what about the problems the next morning?

What some of these clips all have in common with Tiki culture is the humor that lies within the naive, cliche depictions that one culture creates of another culture. It is my favorite kick to stumble upon such examples of culturally "bad taste", especially those that make you cringe in disbelief!

Americans were quite good at that, too. Here is one of my top ten non-Tiki examples, with unbelievably inane lyrics by the great kitsch master (and Witco collector) Roy Orbison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF-jSmhnc3g&feature=related

The same happy-go-lucky attitude towards Polynesia transferred to American Indian culture.

I will stop now, realizing this thread's content is leaning too heavily towards non-Tiki, but I wanted to point out the common philosophy behind my enjoyment of these gems.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 09:02, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
For some reason, I now feel justified in putting my beer stein collection in my Tiki bar! Just have to play the song if anyone asks!

I hope you have this one in yr collection Pepe:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15664&forum=5&hilite=corona%20stein

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 09:43 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:48 ]

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:09 am   Permalink

These videos are fantastic! Vielen dank, Herr Kirsten!

Can you type out the lyrics auf Englisch for There Is No Beer On Hawaii?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:43 am   Permalink

Oh gee, that's a long story...let me know if anyone seriously is interested in covering the song, I might do it then, but til then:
The story begins with Paul singing about his bride Marianne demanding to have their honeymoon on Hawaii, but Paul doesn't wanna go, BECAUSE :
....Everybody!.......

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation