FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Why I had to leave Germany:
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Why I had to leave Germany:
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 12:28 pm   Permalink

If only Germany hadn't lost its South Pacific colonies along with the First World War, maybe there would be better beer there!

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:48 ]

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 1:58 pm   Permalink

I understand the guy, between the strange blue cocktail or the beer, I'll take the beer...

But there are some good beers in Hawai'i !!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-24 3:49 pm   Permalink

Funny indeed.....I like this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUGIzT0mdA&feature=related

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 09:15, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-01-24 09:02, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
For some reason, I now feel justified in putting my beer stein collection in my Tiki bar! Just have to play the song if anyone asks!

I hope you have this one in yr collection Pepe:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15664&forum=5&hilite=corona%20stein

haha... no I don't but I'd definitely drink my beer out of it if I did!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BonefishBob

Posted: 2008-01-25 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 13:58, virani wrote:
I understand the guy, between the strange blue cocktail or the beer, I'll take the beer...

Ditto on the good beers in Hawai'i My favorite is at the Worlds Westernmost Brewpub the Waimea Brewing Co. in Kauai. Their motto is "Last Beer Before Tomorrow". Great beers and a nifty little Brewpub that has excellent eatz. My order of choice is their seared Tuna which comes with 100% real Wasabi. Always ask for extra, well worth the trip.

View Profile of BonefishBob Send a personal message to BonefishBob  Email BonefishBob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 10:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 13:58, virani wrote:

Absolutely, those look yucky. Again, just proof what the Polynesian cocktail had become by the mid-80s (approximate date of the clip) in the public's image: Candy colored sugar water with umbrellas.

Quote:

Now, yes, for sure. But perhaps not in the early 1960s. If you listen to the earlier version of the song in this clip (which is only a slide show for the band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f0_JUSeuH8&feature=related

...with Paul rockin' on the piano, it sounds much better. I don't think that PRIMO beer existed in 1963 yet, and it was probably difficult to get import beers in the islands. Anyway, not to be taken literally, the title must have come as a German counter-reaction to the Hawaii wave that also hit European shores by that time.

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 12:28, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
If only Germany hadn't lost its South Pacific colonies along with the First World War, maybe there would be better beer there!

You might be right. What is the best Chinese import beer to get nowadays? In my opinion it's Tsingtao. And here is why: Tsing Tau was usurped as a German colony at the turn of the century. The Germans razed the Chinese huts and shacks and built a model town with water works, canalization, a hospital, a Chinese/German University, and....a brewery!

It is still the only Chinese city with European style architecture today.

You can see Tsing Tau in a little extra section on the upper left of this map, which shows the German "Protectorates" in the South Seas from 1885-1919:

During this period Germany "owned" a considerable chunk of New Guinea, plus the Admiralty Islands, the Carolines with Palau, the Marshall Islands, and part of Samoa. This is how many early museums in Germany filled their coffers with South Sea art, which then in turn inspired the artistic avantgarde in Germany (see TIKI MODERN).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 12:36 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:48 ]

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 5:12 pm   Permalink

Here's another stein for your collection, Pepe

to keep those scurvy wenches away!

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 7:53 pm   Permalink

In sort of a parallel to this, when Germany held Tsingtao as a colony before World War One, they built breweries in that city. After the Germans left, the breweries were taken over by the Japanese and later the Chinese. The craft that the locals learned from the Germans and the breweries became Tsigntao beer.

So at least that explains Chinese beer!

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 12:28, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 10:58 pm   Permalink

Aaah sssoooh! You don't say....velly intellesting.... ....

Say, Tp, did you READ the other posts after the quote you replied to? Or did you plan to post this (very true and pertinent) information sooner, but didn't get to it, and then posted it without reading the other posts (hint: mine!) ? Or, maybe, though in my strange convoluted writing style I had thought I had already told this tale, but it did not come across, and you just decided to translate it into intelligible English.

I apologize for pointing this out like a stickler, I just don't understand the apathy of so many who read this and then just move on. I mean don't you want to find out? I like to banish confusion, and clarify things wherever I can...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 11:11 pm   Permalink

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-23 20:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Better than NO eyebrows because you're an ALBINO !!! ...drinking Whiskey, singing in fake South American Spanish!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-v5ShRyUo

Aahh, Heino!!!
I'd forgotten to look him up, once YouTube made the possibility of seeing him anytime possible!!
You know, BigBro, there's another reason he wears the dark glasses besides white eyebrows: his wandering eye! I saw one video of him long ago in which he was not wearing his trademark specs, and he has a wandering eye (literally, not figuratively)! *Not* what the producers figured would go over big!

I am now going to waste the rest of my day watching every Heino video on YouTube.

Dammit.

*Thanks* BigBro.
F

P.S. You may now return to your previously scheduled tikicentric topic.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 4:05 pm   Permalink

I am sooo sorry!

Isn't a wandering eye a possible result of frequent cocaine use? I remember in the 80s, I was working on a "four day wonder" (name for a certain genre of feature length film shot in 4 days) as 2nd AC/loader, and the focus puller was partial to that white stuff, and on day 2 lost control of his one eye, it kept wandering inward. Not good for focus pulling, in any film genre.

Check out that one U-tube B&W news reel clip from 1967 that shows how producer Ralph Bendix "made" Heino. Heino in the studio, a much more generic young man, is being told how to sing. I like the weird 70s end result better, though he has a certain neo-nazi appeal here, especially with that song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kYK6VUck0&feature=related

But back to .....the German South Seas, perhaps?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-27 16:18 ]

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 4:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-27 15:52, Formikahini wrote:
You know, BigBro, there's another reason he wears the dark glasses besides white eyebrows: his wandering eye! I saw one video of him long ago in which he was not wearing his trademark specs, and he has a wandering eye (literally, not figuratively)! *Not* what the producers figured would go over big!

On Heino's early LPs his glasses were quite light and you could easily see his wandering eye.

early Heino

late Heino

Yes, I have quite the Heino collection in my record library.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation