FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Critiki Update?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Critiki Update?
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 6:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Humu,

I came across some old photos of that time we met up at Kon Tiki years ago and thought to myself, "What the hell happened to Humu"? Glad to hear you're still alive an kicking!

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coruscate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 12:26 pm   Permalink

Humu,

Do we need to be thinking of where to send house warming and wedding gifts?

Congrats on getting hitched and buying a house!

I did the same thing recently and it has taken me about 2 years to come up for air again, man was I busy, especially because we did our own wedding top to bottom.

This year we will be reaping the bounty of the new garden at the new (built in 1924) house which we got started late last year but still kicked in hard.

Fresh limes, lemons and mint was always a good thing for the drink recipes and we anticipate more of the same.

By the way, you can count on at least one drink for you and your groom on me at any Tiki establishment in the greater SF Bay Area.

Give me a heads up and I'll hitch up the Tiki-Lander and voyage out from Point Reyes or Petaluma to the watering hole of choice, Tonga Room good for you?

Cheers!

Coruscate

[ This Message was edited by: coruscate 2010-02-25 12:32 ]

View Profile of coruscate Send a personal message to coruscate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 07:22 am   Permalink

The OC Register showing Critiki some love:
http://www.ocregister.com/travel/tiki-298314-bahooka-arts.html?pic=1#article-read

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 1:10 pm   Permalink

Critiki is a bit dead in the water again, I'm afraid. It won't allow new users to register (SQL error).

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-02 1:17 pm   Permalink

Is there anything that *we* can do to help Critiki resume its amazing service? I'm new to this tiki thing, but I've found critiki an invaluable tool in exploring my area (Massachusetts.) There have been, unfortunately, some closures out here, as well as some tiki bars that are not in critiki yet. I would love to help update this, but I cannot even create a membership.

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-02 4:13 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu's contribution to the world of tiki in my opinion is up there with people like Sven. When I really started getting into Tiki, it was without a doubt one of the two(Tiki Central being the other) most important sites I referenced. I will always be thankful to her for that. It really opened my eyes to what tiki was/is. On top of that from a functionality/design stand point its a great site.

My hope is that Humuhumu will come back to it. There aren't many people that can do what she did as well as she does. However I do honestly believe the world of Tiki is missing out not having an up to date Critiki or equivalent. I believe an updated resource is important for people just beginning the journey. I also feel that a site that appears to be the go to resources for existing tiki does not reflect closings over the last couple of years and more importantly all the great establishments that have opened in that time. It would be nice to know if Critiki is truly dead or not and if there is a need for someone else to take the torch and provide a needed important resource for the world of Tiki.

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 4:31 pm   Permalink

My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went. Her tiki related projects and postings stopped around that time, as is evident on her various blogs and websites. I know a few people have reached out to her at various time without any response. But a few of her personal friends are here on TC and can probably shed some light on the situation.

Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement—I'd like to see her pass the reigns on to someone else who is willing and able to keep them updated and relevant, whomever that might be.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl

Posted: 2014-03-02 4:38 pm   Permalink

Or if she wants to remain in control of these sites, but add some fellow administrators so all the burden does not fall on one person... that would be awesome.

View Profile of scottxwl Send a personal message to scottxwl  Email scottxwl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 4:57 pm   Permalink

I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life, but I had to go online to find out where Byfield was! I know Humu is busy raising a beautiful, little girl, named Wanda, but she is also, very much, still into Tiki. She's actually been doing some great work on her home bar. As for Critiki, it surely has taken a backseat to Wanda & understandably, so. If you're looking to help, try contacting her. I think her contributions to the World Of Tiki have been immense & I think she's just taking a break to spend quality time with her daughter.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-02 4:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-02 16:31, TikiTacky wrote:
My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went. Her tiki related projects and postings stopped around that time, as is evident on her various blogs and websites. I know a few people have reached out to her at various time without any response. But a few of her personal friends are here on TC and can probably shed some light on the situation.

Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement—I'd like to see her pass the reigns on to someone else who is willing and able to keep them updated and relevant, whomever that might be.

She still seems to be very much into tiki, but as you said she is a recent parent and children and family should always come first. In the end there are only so many hours in a day.

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scottxwl

Posted: 2014-03-02 5:03 pm   Permalink

And just to be clear: I am not complaining. I think her sites are absolutely amazing and have definitely contributed into my taking a passing interest, and then falling down the rabbit hole of awesomeness. I just would love to see these continue in whatever form she is comfortable with.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 5:19 pm   Permalink

Likewise, I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again—and the fact that people are still visiting those websites, even though they're not being actively developed, is a statement to their usefulness. But outwardly, there's not much sign she's still into tiki:
* Her personal tiki news blog (linked from her website at humuhumu.com) is gone:
http://humukontiki.com
* Critiki.com hasn't worked for over a year as far as I can tell
* Ooga-Mooga was due for an update (her words) in April, 2012
* The last time the word tiki appeared on her personal blog at trottomatic.com was in July of 2013
* Her last post here on TC was in April of 2012

This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way. It's merely an observation that her commitment to her tiki projects has seemingly ended, and it might be time for someone else to take up where she left off.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-02 17:20 ]

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 5:57 pm   Permalink

Sigh!
If you want to help, I think that's great, but there are ways to contact the woman, without "calling her out" on TC. Plenty of her friends are still on here. Ask one of them if they can contact her for you or just continue with your Tikipedia, which is a great idea. Humu is a much beloved member of the Tiki community & you are sure to ruffle feathers if you are not respectful & tactful. Oh, and, by the way, your detective skills need work. She was at Trader Vic's last night & Smuggler's Cove on Tuesday. She is still very much "into" Tiki.

P.S.: I love your T-shirts!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

I honestly cannot believe I just read this:

Quote:

On 2014-03-02 17:19, TikiTacky wrote:
Likewise, I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again—and the fact that people are still visiting those websites, even though they're not being actively developed, is a statement to their usefulness. But outwardly, there's not much sign she's still into tiki:
* Her personal tiki news blog (linked from her website at humuhumu.com) is gone: http://humukontiki.com
* Critiki.com hasn't worked for over a year as far as I can tell
* Ooga-Mooga was due for an update (her words) in April, 2012
* The last time the word tiki appeared on her personal blog at trottomatic.com was in July of 2013
* Her last post here on TC was in April of 2012

This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way. It's merely an observation that her commitment to her tiki projects has seemingly ended, and it might be time for someone else to take up where she left off.

Talk about one hell of a "tacky" post!

Rick thank you for writing this ....nice to see some class!

Quote:

On 2014-03-02 17:57, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sigh!
If you want to help, I think that's great, but there are ways to contact the woman, without "calling her out" on TC. Plenty of her friends are still on here. Ask one of them if they can contact her for you or just continue with your Tikipedia, which is a great idea. Humu is a much beloved member of the Tiki community & you are sure to ruffle feathers if you are not respectful & tactful. Oh, and, by the way, your detective skills need work. She was at Trader Vic's last night & Smuggler's Cove on Tuesday. She is still very much "into" Tiki.

Come back and visit but this time up in NorCal--you have to see Trader Vic's in Emeryville my friend!

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2014-03-02 18:25 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-02 17:57, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sigh!

P.S.: I love your T-shirts!

Sigh is right!

I'm not "calling her out." Did you read my posts?
"I'm incredibly appreciative of what Humuhumu has done to help turn tiki into a "thing" again"
"This is not a condemnation of Humuhumu in any way"
"My understanding is that Humuhumu (aka Michelle Trott) had a child a year or two ago and that's understandably where her focus went."
"Personally, if she's decided to move on from tiki—again, totally understandable and not a judgement"

How am I calling her out? Her websites are fantastic, and all I lament is that they're falling apart while the tiki community is still actively trying to use them. I would imagine if the same was true of a physical tiki location, people would do the same.

I know her friends are on here. I said so, and also said they could comment on what her plans might be for the sites, but was repeating what others have said.

I'm frustrated because—despite all of my comments to the contrary—you think I have some vendetta against Humuhumu. I have nothing but respect for her and the work she's done. Is it not fair for me to try and *respectfully* lament that I think it's sad that all of her hard work is falling into disrepair because she's focused on her family (which, in case I didn't make it clear, IS INFINITELY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THIS SILLY TIKI THING WE ALL ENJOY)?

Do I need to use more emoticons? Do people think I'm being sarcastic?

PS: Thanks.

Edit: And I did try and contact her. Other people have commented that they tried as well and she never responded.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-02 18:30 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation