FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 11:24 am   Permalink

Lately I've been making these out of portland cement.

The one on the right was my first attempt. The one on the left is the last one I completed. I have a form I made out of wood and pour straight portland cement into. I put a piece of rebar in the middle and leave another sticking out of the bottom so they can stick into the ground.

The left one from the last picture in mid-cut. I use a 4 inch angle grinder to cut out the details. They are only cut on the front side, but soon I hope to expand that to all sides.

This is the second one I did. It has about 5 hours worth of grinding in it. You can see the cut marks in the face more in the picture than in person, but I would have liked to find a way to smooth it out some more.

[ This Message was edited by: blindy the pirate 2008-07-15 10:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: blindy the pirate 2008-08-03 16:12 ]

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 09:49 am   Permalink

This is my newest tiki I made. Not at all happy with it other than the mouth. It looks too much like the last one, only not as good. I think that I'm going to set this one in the city park near my house.

With the leftover cement I made a mold for a paver and cut out a face with a bandsaw.

It was a spur of the moment thing, and now that I know it can work, I can try some better designs.

It at least looks better than the others.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 09:52 am   Permalink

the pavestone kinda looks like the BLOCKHEADS from GUMBY

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks moondog. I knew it looked like something, but I couldn't quite place it. Might have to make a Gumby Tiki to match.

Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 2:00 pm   Permalink

The idea of putting the tiki in the park is cool - you could make a mold and mass produce them, then have them start showing up in parks and public places all over town. People would start to speculate on where they came from, what do they mean?

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 08:43 am   Permalink

Was driving down the road last week and saw that someone had cut down some kind of palm tree. So I grabbed two pieces and went to work on one of them to try my hand at wood.

Soon realized that wood is a another ballgame...

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-17 08:58 am   Permalink

Here are some pics of the tiki I put out in the park near my house. If anyone knows Tallahassee, it is in the Lake Ella park.

I dug a hole with a post hole digger about 18 inches thick and filled it with concrete. Then I put the rebar on the tiki into it. Even though each tiki weighs around 100 lbs, hopefully this might discourage it from disappearing.

Had a message from Robin here on Tiki Central about carving wet cement like clay instead of waiting for it to cure and grinding the face. This one was a first attempt. It is still a simple design because I didn't know what I was doing. However, carving this way can afford a lot of designs that I couldn't do with a grinder.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 3:09 pm   Permalink

Nice i think they are very artistic looking, good natural
colors that add to the area allot. Nice Work!

You did a fine job on the wood carve much better than my
firsts.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 4:03 pm   Permalink

Really like the urban guerilla tiki action. It looks great where you placed it. Glad you enjoyed the wetter approach to cement work.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-19 16:03, Robin wrote:
Really like the urban guerilla tiki action. It looks great where you placed it.

I agree. Keep us updated on other places you put them. Looks like the molding while wet is giving you a little more freedom with design and detail as well. Keep 'em comin.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-20 08:56 am   Permalink

I really like the simplicity of the one you put in the park. It's very unobtrusive in that natural setting which I think might be key to avoiding conservative public backlash. GREAT IDEA -- keep them coming!

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-25 11:35 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Working with the wet cement is nice. It does allow me to do a lot of things that I couldn't do with just a 4 inch grinder.

My cousin Nick drew this for me a few years ago for a tattoo that I never got.

I decided to carve it out in cement. It looks like nothing that I have done before in cement and I think that it came out pretty good.

TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-25 6:07 pm   Permalink

Wow dude tikis of cement! This is one of the coolest concepts i have ever seen. Nice work brah!

View Profile of TIKI SEA-LUFF Send a personal message to TIKI SEA-LUFF  Email TIKI SEA-LUFF     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 08:11 am   Permalink

I dig the new one, where you going to put it?

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 3:01 pm   Permalink

Hell ya! NICE Man keep them comming.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation