FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 8:13 pm   Permalink

Hey, I saw one of your tikis a few hours ago... cleverly stashed near the police station. Wish I had a camera to take a picture of it...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:33 pm   Permalink

Blindy, you MUST be aware of Banksy, is that where your name came from?
If you are, allow me to enlighten the TCers who are not with some Banksy info: A British grafitti artist, he has been not only very prolific, but very original and funny in his action art, and his work is now very collectible:

Banksy, Britain's now-legendary "guerrilla" street artist, has painted the walls, streets, and bridges of towns and cities throughout the world. Not only did he smuggle his pieces into four of New York City's major art museums, he's also "hung" his work at London's Tate Gallery and adorned Israel's West Bank barrier with satirical images. Banksy's identity remains unknown, but his work is unmistakable—with prints selling for as much as $45,000.

In addition to his artwork, Banksy has claimed responsibility for a number of high profile art pieces, including the following:

At Sothebys, he arrived in a penguin suit and painted "We're getting rich off Banksy". The piece sold later that day for £16,999.[citation needed]

At London Zoo, he climbed into the penguin enclosure and painted "We're bored of fish" in seven foot high letters.[citation needed]

At Bristol Zoo, he left the message 'I want out. This place is too cold. Keeper smells. Boring, boring, boring.' in the elephant enclosure.[citation needed]

In March 2005, he placed subverted artworks in the Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Museum, and the American Museum of Natural History in New York.[26]

He put up a subverted painting in London's Tate Britain gallery.

Here is one of his paintings he put up:

They hang up for days, sometimes even weeks before they get noticed. He explains his ability to do this by "Museums mostly watch out that art is not taken out of their building, but not for it being brought in".

In May 2005 Banksy's version of a primitive cave painting depicting a human figure hunting wildlife whilst pushing a shopping trolley was hung in gallery 49 of the British Museum, London. Upon discovery, they added it to their permanent collection.[27]

In September 2006, Banksy dressed an inflatable doll in the manner of a Guantanamo Bay detainment camp prisoner (orange jumpsuit, black hood, and handcuffs) and then placed the figure within the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride at the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California.[35][36]

These are just a few of his "placing art in public spaces" actions. He also hung one of his pieces in the Louvre. In his very funny art book "Wall and Piece" he mentions an anecdote from his early days where his sister mockingly commented "It's not like your stuff is ever going to hang in the Louvre!" The back cover of the book has a quote from the London Police Chief' office that reads: "There is no way we will give you a quote from us to print at the back of your book!"

His website:
http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.html

So will Blindy become the Banksy of Tiky?
I like the fact that your Tikis are mute witnesses to the environments you put them in, I makes the whole thing more mysterious. But just in case you are looking for a motto, I want to suggest this quote from an artist friend of mine, which years ago I printed on some stickers underneath Shecky, the early TC mascot Tiki: LESS VIRTUAL REALITY, MORE RITUAL VIRILITY!
Never use the term Tiki, that would be too demystifying.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 11:24 am   Permalink

Seeksurf- I think everyone would like to see your first tikis. Weren't they in the background of some of your tiki bog pics?

Tikigoob- That one you saw was the first true attempt I did. It was made out of concrete instead of the cement of the subsequent (thanks spell check) ones. The reason why it is still there is because it is on the property that my house is on. If you take the next driveway there is 5 more tikis in the yard.
Also around midtown, the paintings on the telephone poles are from Bgizzy (the drummer from Tiny Fists Of Fury) and mine.

Bigbro- When I first posted on the introduction page, you told me about him. I checked him out. I have always been a fan of "guerrilla" art. As a kid, I would watch the trains go by, checking out some really great spray paintings that criss cross the country. Banksy is truely a mad genius.

The name Blindy came from a pirate themed tailgate party. Shortly after chuging two beers, I put an eyepatch on both eyes and stumbled around yelling "I'm Blindy the pirate". For some strange reason, the name stuck.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 08:03 am   Permalink

Here is a new tiki I've been working on. It still has a lot of work to be done, but it is finally starting to take shape.

Front:

Back:

Have a bunch more of sanding with the grinder, a whole bunch more. After reading here on TC, I figured it is best to start fat and slowly remove the excess. Started the rough cuts with a chainsaw, then start with a 36 grit sanding disk to round out everything. Used a dremel tool for the face.

Put out those tapa paintings this morning.

Put this one next to the tiki bar 2 blocks from my house.

This pic didn't turn out very well, but it shows the street in the background. It is a fairly busy intersection during the week.

For Tikigoob and the other Tikihassee crew, I put the paintings here:
Gadsden St by the park
Next to Waterworks
6th ave at Thomasville

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 07:22 am   Permalink

I'll be in the neighborhood the weekend after Hukilau. I am driving thru on my way to the Panhandle and will be stopping to ride my bike at Tom Brown Park - do you still have one there?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-28 6:08 pm   Permalink

Blindy-the-no-eyed-pirate, you inspired me to pick up the trowel. I bought a cheap ($4) vaccuum-formed plastic tiki from Party City and re-inforced the gaudily painted side with some plaster of paris and burlap. When it had set, I flipped it over and poured it full of concrete. I used about 30 lbs of mortar mix (half a 60 lb bag, but probably could have used 20 lbs) I added a small bag each of white & black epoxy coated aquarium gravel (Walmart) After it set (several hours), I emptied it out of the mold and hosed it off good to help expose the colored gravel. Looks somewhat like granite, 30 inches tall and weighs about 30 lbs.

Now I have a mold, I *could* cast and entire army of the critters. Possible improvements: imbed a piece of heavy wire into the back so it can be tied to a post or whatever for support. Double the amount of colored gravel or else add the gravel to half of the mortar mix, line the mold with it, the fill the rest of the mold with the un-graveled mortar mix.

PS I like the headless Tiki from Sleeping Hollow

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-05-28 18:11 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 06:39 am   Permalink

AlohaStation-- I never put a tiki up at Tom Brown Park. That place is so big and it crawls with full time staff. I tend to put my stuff out closer to my house. If you have some place down south that needs a tiki, let me know and I'll give you one to put up.

MadDogMike-- That's definitely the best use of that garish party city thing. Here is part of a thread that has a bunch of them.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20594&forum=18&vpost=354357&hilite=concrete%20molds
I have been talking to a friend who does paper mache and we figured that we could make original tikis, then cast them with plaster like you did, then pour cement into them. The options are only limited by you imagination.

----------------------------

The latest tiki I've been working on has seemed to dry out rock hard. It doesn't want to sand at all with the grinder without burning the wood. It seems to be telling me that it wants to be done. I'm going to do some final sandings then stain it.

Anybody know what kind of palm this is?

I found it on the side of the road cut and have no idea what it looked like when it was up.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 07:50 am   Permalink

The log is probably a Sabal/Cabbage Palm. Native to the area. You will need to strip the outer layer to get to the meat of the log. Carves nice, but does not hold alot of detail - very stringy.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:48 pm   Permalink

Oh man!! I thought I had formulated an original ideas

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:02 pm   Permalink

Nice work on the head over the shoulders guy.
sounds like you have it down chainsaw chip and sand.
Love your crazy style.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-02 2:01 pm   Permalink

Hadn't done a tiki in cement in a while. This one is for AlohaStation to put out on his South Florida mountain bike trail.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-02 5:03 pm   Permalink

Right On blindy keep up the good fight.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 10:27 am   Permalink

Stained the headless tiki this weekend. I did it so dark for a few reasons. First, it was stain I sitting around the house. Plus the dark color hides a lot of the imperfections. I added a red stain on top to have a bit of reddish twinge to it.
Not really happy with the final product, but I wanted to finish this one instead of quiting halfway through. Plus, I learned a whole lot on this one.

I found a stack of oak logs someone had stacked up for the garbage truck. I pulled about 9 good sized logs out of it. Three of which are about 15 inches across and 2 1/2 feet tall. Hopefully, something good will come out of a few of them. I'm sitting on around 20 logs of various sizes right now.

This is the finished tiki for AlohaStation.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 10:33 am   Permalink

SWEET! I have a spot picked out that is perfect. Everyone will be able to see it from SW10th Street in Deerfield, just before getting on the Sawgrass Expressway.

You might want to think twice about carving that Oak. If it came from your area it is probably Live Oak which is very hard! Not a friendly carving wood - it burns quite nice in the fireplace! There is a alot of Camphor (sp?) in your area, ask around and you will find it along with some other species (i.e. Cypress or Sabal Palm). Also the Pine in your area isn't that great either, slash/sugar/yellow pine - yuck.

[ This Message was edited by: AlohaStation 2008-06-09 10:42 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 10:57 pm   Permalink

Nice work I still have a hard time with the stain process.
You are doing fine look at my first 2 tikis.

Aloha gets a cement creation COOL!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation