FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 10:11 am   Permalink

This guy is going to placed at a local park for everyone to enjoy!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 7:44 pm   Permalink

Seeksurf- Its funny, I paint and stain for work all the time, yet, staining tikis is a whole 'nother animal. Next time you end up on the southeast side of the country, I'll hook you up. You have been a huge inspiration and a great booster.

AlohaStation- I'm stoked. Words don't really describe it. You'll have to post pics of the placement.

Working on a couple of simple wall hangings now. Will post pics later the week.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 9:36 pm   Permalink

Right on, you have to love this TC.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-14 06:40 am   Permalink

I've had a band saw for about a year, but I really haven't used it, so I figured I would try a few tikis with it.

The one on the left still needs some sanding and stain. I am sending to my cousin because it is from his design. I figured I've used the design a few times and he should at least get something for that.

The one on the right is going to the bar at the end of my block. Now they will be able to truthfully call their back bar a tiki bar. It isn't as shiny as the picture shows it.
My wife really likes this design, and so do I. It is simple, yet unmistakable. (plus really easy to make)

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 10:51 pm   Permalink

Im impressed they look great!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 6:37 pm   Permalink

What can fix a shitty day at work?
Coming home to this:

Lucky my wife likes it, because its going next to the wedding pictures on the wall .

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 9:36 pm   Permalink

Right on Tiki Shark stuff you have to love his work!

bgizzy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-18 10:19 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's a nice print. I likey the wall carvings too. I'm almost done with your painting, gonna post some new pics on my thread.

View Profile of bgizzy Send a personal message to bgizzy  Goto the website of bgizzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-23 13:03, blindy the pirate wrote:
Just got back from The Polynesian Resort. I hid these two tikis.

Ahoy Blindy!!

Posting to let you know that I am now in possession of the Moai on the left above! Ratzaroony went to Hukilau and stopped at the Polynesian Resort on his way down.. So I told him of your hidden tikis and he was kind enough to find him for me. He didn't take both though- One the other was still there if no one else has grabbed it yet!

I'm a sucker for a good treasure hunt, and this one was great!! He's found a good home and will actually fit in well with my Kahiki artifacts (kinda resembles the Kahiki fireplace). MAHALO Blindy and Ratz!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-28 11:35 am   Permalink

Yeah, thank you Blindy for making it, and thank you Skully for telling me about it!

It was really funny finding it, because pushing up on the ceiling and pulling out a mysterious package wrapped in paper must have looked really shady to the workers who walked by. One actually came over and asked what I was doing. I asked permission to continue pushing up on the ceiling tile to get it, and he said what you do when I'm not here doesn't matter, at which point he grinned and walked away, not looking back

It really was a great thing to do in the hotel, and it had a great reward as well. I geocache, so this type of thing is right up my alley. So again, thank you Blindy for taking the time to make the tikis, and then for giving them away in such a cool fashion. Also, thank you Capt. Skully for telling me about it.

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-29 08:19 am   Permalink

Its funny, I was just thinking about those tikis, wondering if I needed to add them to a Disney thread or something. Congrats Capt'n Skully and Ratzaroony, hope it was as fun finding them as it was hiding them.

Which one did you get? The one in the Rapa Nui building by the TTC, or the one in the Fiji building by the marina?

There is still another out there, for anyone who wants it.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 09:18 am   Permalink

Between working on converting a barn into living space and the never ending rain down here, I haven't had as much time to carve as a would like. So I spent most of July 4th outside.

This is a Witco wannabe modeled after a design I saw on page 261 of Tiki Modern. It is 3 ft tall and has a fluorescent fixture in it and a cool blue glow when its on. While it isn't exactly the same, I think it has the spirit. Trying to get down to Daytona (The Hawaiian Inn) sometime this summer to see the real one (if it is still there).

Decided to try a copy of one of the tikis in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Mostly for practice and it is a pretty easy design. Its ready for sanding now. More pics after staining.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 10:08 am   Permalink

Still suck at staining. Twice I have gotten stain that turns out to be another color entirely.

I was going for a brown and gray coloring that looked weathered. I going to leave this one out on the blacktop for a while, hoping that nature can help it look weathered for me now.

Started this one today. I just used the grinder with a 36 grit pad on it. Now that it is roughed in, I'll start to make it a little more symmetrical.

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 4:50 pm   Permalink

ITS TOO HOT!!!

Too hot to do anything. Then a breeze starts, and in ten minutes, its raining. 20 minutes after the rain stops, it gets even HOTTER!

So, in an attempt to not spend ALL my money in the bar, I've been buying some tools. Finally got a router (one of my favorite tools as a kid). Had a 1x4 piece of cedar left over from a job and decided to reacclimate myself to the tool.

You can see the two logs behind it that are half finished tikis, just waiting to be completed. Hopefully sooner then later, the weatherman is predicting a heat wave in the coming week

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 08:12 am   Permalink

Wanted to drop you a line about the tiki for the MTB trail. The paint you used is peeling off (Rustoleum). For future projects you may want to use either a concrete stain or some type of outdoor latex. I have power washed the old paint and will be painting him sometime soon. The Trail will have a tiki garden as wplugger is craving a massive tiki and I will also be adding one in there. If there is anyone else that would like to contribute please contact me.

Its good to see you starting branch off into wood. Keep them comin.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation