FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 7:55 pm   Permalink

Nice to see ya keeping at it! Looking good.
Yes the stain always gives me a headache.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 7:55 pm   Permalink

Nice to see ya keeping at it! Looking good.
Yes the stain always gives me a headache.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 09:46 am   Permalink

Between all the rain I had a little time to break out the router. These were done on scrap 3/4" plywood and I'll place them on telephone poles around town when I get a chance.

(a lot of the one on the right came from the Trader Vics Mai Tai glass)

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 7:09 pm   Permalink

Nice keep up the sly work

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-03 2:23 pm   Permalink

Finally finished this one from July. Well, not so much finished as cleaned it up a little and stained it.

The weather has become much more manageable, so I created this guy yesterday. I wanted to do something with a mod look. It has a rough look to it, like it was carved out of stone. It came out pretty good.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-04 06:35 am   Permalink

I also like this guy simple good lines with new twist NICE!

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 10:00 am   Permalink

I've been slacking on creating tiki. I made this with some scraps I had lying around. It stands 5 ft tall and 27" wide. I hooked up a blue rope light behind it so it 'floats' off the wall and behind the shapes on the bamboo.

drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 10:44 am   Permalink

Blindy,
Like your stuff....has a comfortable look to it. Like the cubistic tiki!
Ciao

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 7:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks drgoat456. The cubistic tiki idea had been floating around my head for awhile when I carved it. I thought it was going to be a simple, quick, and easy design that could be copied in little time (like cutting out Moai heads from 2x6's). Something I could slam out and install around town. But the weight of cement made it more difficult than expected, still I enjoyed making it.

Now that college football season is nearing an end, I might be able to be less hungover and spend more time creating.

TURNING OUT HALF-ASSED CRAP SINCE 2005

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 1:03 pm   Permalink

My Mom told me that my Dad wanted a tiki for Christmas. They live down in Orlando and have a tropical yard that a tiki would fit very well in, so I was stoked.

I've been converting a barn into living space at work lately and found a 6x6 pine post. Working in square stock was nice. Going to have to check the lumber yards to see if they have any 6x6 or 8x8 non-pressure treated posts.

I am happy (finally) with the staining. I used a wall tiki from the Kona Kai Apartments
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27645&forum=2&start=0 as the design, because they are also square stock and very tall. This bastard stands 6 ft. 6 in.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

Look for turned Pine posts. You may find them up there. I heard the long leaf/sugar pine that is commercially grown in that area is hard to carve because it is full of sap. You may find some that has been kiln dried, ask for white pine.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondoggie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-24 4:12 pm   Permalink

Loving your stealthy tiki drops
Hope you do some more.
And that 'witco wannabe' looks great!

View Profile of moondoggie Send a personal message to moondoggie  Goto the website of moondoggie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 09:15 am   Permalink

blindy, i love the idea of scattering around treasure. how long do your "shields" last on the telephone poles? here in houston the city is pretty hardcore about removing signage from telephone poles almost as fast as they go up. they have trucks that drive around just for that purpose. great idea on beautifying tallahassee.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 10:40 am   Permalink

Thanks Moondoggie, I just moved into a new house, so everything has been crazy this month. Of course, the first thing I set up is the garage as a work shop. I already put up an outside bar and making tiki torches and the wifey wants an inside bar and some built-in bookshelves, so the garage has already seen a lot of work go through it.

I just put up the 'witco wannabe' yesterday and it is begging for a friend, so that's gone on my list.

Big Daddy, it is a crap shoot on which paintings stay up. I drive by ones that have been up for years now, but I've also had ones that disappeared the day after I put them up. I use 3 1/2 inch spiral nails, so I don't make it easy to get the plywood off (the wood will break around the nail before the nail pulls out of the pole). I make sure it doesn't obstruct any ones line of sight and usually one pole back from an intersection. I've noticed the graffiti disappears quickly, but my piece close by will stay. Tallahassee is very supportive of the arts, so maybe the city 'gets it', I don't know.

I would give it a try in Houston, the worst thing that could happen is it gets taken down. I've always gone out weekend mornings around 9:00. Walking around with a hammer at night might raise suspicion.

moondoggie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-28 10:58 am   Permalink

Don't forget to put a pic up of 'the friend' when you're done - it sounds like you've got a lot to do first though

View Profile of moondoggie Send a personal message to moondoggie  Goto the website of moondoggie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation