FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
blindy the pirate and his attempts of tiki
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 4:25 pm   Permalink

Nice work on this fella. You stretched him out well and
he still looks cool.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 12:16 pm   Permalink

It has been a while since I've posted here, so I figured I'd give an update.

I don't know how I did it, but I convinced the wife that the garage isn't for cars, it is a work shop. From there, I have had a place to work without having to worry about rain.

I figured I'd do the backyard Disney style. Something with a name and story behind it with scenery to match. I wanted something that can include tikis, pirates, and still be open enough to include anything else that might pop up in the future. I settled on the name 'Sargasso Shore'.

Here is a little back story I came up with to explain the 'scene':

TALE OF THE SARGASSO SHORE
-------------------
Behold, ye have entered the mysterious shore of the Sargasso Sea. A place found on no map, the Sargasso Shore can be found only when invited by the ghost pirate who calls this shore his home.

In a sargassum deep within the Bermuda Triangle, the Sargasso Sea is the only sea not bordered by land. The 'Sea of Lost Ships' as it is known, has been haunted for hundreds of years by the notorious Blindy the pirate. Legend has long told of a strange coast devoid of sand or water. It is from this mystical shore Blindy and his ghost krewe have terrorized ships that dared sail the cursed waters of the Sargasso Sea.

Many mysteries inhabit this shore. Tiki idols from an ocean half a world away to hidden skull and crossbones, one can never be too sure just what to expect from the Sargasso Shore.
----------------

Because of the story (in my mind at least), I can now add almost anything and have it fit a common theme. It hasn't been three months yet, so there will be much more added in time, more tikis and whatnot.

(the things with bags on them are tiki torches)

If I had my way, I don't think I would leave any grass in the yard. It would be filled with tiki huts, streams, and waterfalls.

TURNING OUT HALF-ASSED CRAP SINCE 2005

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 9:33 pm   Permalink

Right on looks like you have a project. Nice work on the garage.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 9:52 pm   Permalink

I found this bit of Blindy The Pirate loveliness on the wall at Bird's Aphrodesiac Oyster Shack in Tallahassee...

The Intoxicators! were playing a show that night... and we were graced with a visit from Blindy and crew...

The Tikihassee shirt that Blindy is wearing is a tiki-fied take on the (phallic) architecture of the Florida state capitol building... (seen here)

The shirts are for sale on this website...
http://alpharhorho.com/vhsindustries.html

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 12:15 pm   Permalink

Have been working on this one for a little while. Finished the rough in and started to use the Dremel for some detail and clean up. But the Dremel burned up after the first ten minutes (second one in a year). So, for now, this guy is gonna have to be done.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 2:46 pm   Permalink

That's looking great for making a tiki from a post. It that Douglas Fur? Are you going to finish with stain or burning, or something else?

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 7:41 pm   Permalink

Looks like Oak - thats some hard stuff for carving!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-06 6:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks for checking it out TikiMango and AlohaStation. It was a 6x6 pine post before I started carving. Behind the pic is a collection of oak I get before the trash crews come around the neighborhood. It is extremely hard and hard to work with, but it is free and anything I don't carve this summer gets chopped into firewood for the winter.

Rather than wait until I buy a new dremel, I decided to stain this guy. While it isn't done, I figured I'd finish it for the time being.

PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-17 09:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-17 18:37, blindy the pirate wrote:
What can fix a shitty day at work?
Coming home to this:

Lucky my wife likes it, because its going next to the wedding pictures on the wall .

Blindy - where did you score this picture? I'd love to have one hanging on my wall in my shop.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pixel8

Posted: 2009-08-20 12:47 pm   Permalink

http://tikishark.com/prints/prints.html

Second one from the left, top row.

View Profile of Pixel8 Send a personal message to Pixel8      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation