FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tretchikoff
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tretchikoff
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 10:31 am   Permalink

This is not really Tiki, but some of you like Tretchikoff, so I thought I'd mention that I have two prints on ebay, in case anyone is interested. I need to start saving money to go to the Mondo Tiki in Vegas!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20149&item=3501788476

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 2:42 pm   Permalink

Tretchikoff can be considered Tiki bar accessory, the Kon-Tiki in Tuscon has one or two, for example. Good Luck, and lots o' buck!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-19 6:35 pm   Permalink

I have always been the first to say (and now the 2nd today) that I consider Tretchikoff COMPLETELY tiki. Mysterious and exotic? Check. Semi-Innocent Exploitation and Appropriation of Pacific culture? Check. Very Popular in the 50's but uncool ever since? Check. Looks good next to the tiki mugs and flaming drinks? Double check!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-21 1:53 pm   Permalink

My Tretchikoffs have hit their reserve and now I feel sad about letting them go. I guess this Ebay thing can be really hard, as we all like to think our stuff is the greatest, and worth more than anyone elses. No tiki mugs that are not duplicate finds will ever be showing up on ebay by me. But next week I will be listing some nude Tahiti cards. I will post it when I do. These cards are all different and show nice scenes of Tahiti's beaches and traditional dress styles. Most are topless. They put a man on the Jack. Should have been an ass!

[ This Message was edited by: fartsatune on 2003-02-21 13:54 ]

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-22 9:34 pm   Permalink

I have the Chinese Girl#1 print but much larger than in that auction.

Funny story I'll share with everyone. I was in an antique store in Atlanta when I saw her. At the same time, in my pripheral vision, I noticed another gal eyeing it. We both looked at each other and we were thinking the same thing - I HAVE TO HAVE THAT! She had a direct path to it, and myself, there was a couch in my way. What to do? I just climbed over the sofa and took the painting off the wall as she came up behind me screaming.

Too bad! If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get it.

It's now on the wall in Shangri-La, one of my most prized posessions.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-22 10:20 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:05 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

you can still get most Tretchikoff prints today- including the Chinese Girl. Search thru google and you will most likely come upon sources for the prints.

I have a little baby vintage framed one that I really like as well as a large 24x30 framed version. I also have a couple similar ones such as Balinese Girl, Miss Wong, etc. They are a must-have if you ask me..

The big question is who owns the REAL Chinese Girl?

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-02-22 22:45 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-22 10:44 pm   Permalink

AHA! I located her!

"Chinese Girl ...in collection of Miss M.Buehler,Chicago,USA "

--------------

http://www.hunche.com/tretchikoff.htm

http://www.tretchikoff.co.uk/

http://www.postershop.com/Tretchikoff-Vladimir-p.html

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-23 01:22 am   Permalink

It will be an interesting auction if Miss Buehler ever parts with her. Hope I see that day!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 2:43 pm   Permalink

Me too, especially if we get to see Tiki Kiliki whack another bidder on the head who tries to outdo her! I'd pay to see THAT! Do I hear Five dolla five dolla five dolla?

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 09:56 am   Permalink

Ah, finally picked up the 'Chinese Girl' in town for 7.50 (about $10) in it's original frame. Funny how you can look for something supposedly 'common' for years without seeing one. It was in the window of a charity shop and I almost got run over when I ran across the road towards it without looking at the traffic situation.

I've not cleaned up the glass yet, but here it is:

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Artiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-08 1:33 pm   Permalink

We've got five in all, but the Balinese Girl is the only one we have in our tiki bar. Three of our others are in the lounge and one near our staircase.
I'm sure they have a Chinese Girl in Taboo Cove.
They are constantly available on UK eBay and don't really fetch that much money, though they are getting far more than they were five years ago (pre eBay days!).

View Profile of Artiki Send a personal message to Artiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-08 2:34 pm   Permalink

Trader -- please put me in your will vis-a-vis that amazing picture. And then please waste no time in running across the street to your next find!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 01:13 am   Permalink

Satan's Sin excitedly awaits Trader Woody's change of will.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-10 01:16 am   Permalink

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Take it back! Take it back! My eyes! My poor, burdened eyes!

And in the lovely Tretchikoff thread, too!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation