FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tretchikoff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tretchikoff
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 9:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I don't think I could eat or drink with the amazing 40 ft Tretchikoff woman threatening to break through that window.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-11-04 09:17 am   Permalink

So it must have been trailer happiness that they filmed the opening luau in that "Whose baby?" show, with Andrew Lincon, that was on ITV a few weeks ago.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-13 5:08 pm   Permalink

Just came back from amarket here in Sydney, Australia where the was a Tretchikoff for sale. I enquired after it as I knew they sell for a fair bit here. But this time I was truly shocked.
They are selling in Vintage stores for $500

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-14 9:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:
[i]On 2004-11-13 17:08, cheekytiki wrote:They are selling in Vintage stores for $500

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Time to put my Tretchy (bought for $7) up on Aussie eBay!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bobby Peru
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-21 9:01 pm   Permalink

yeah its true
one of the down sides of living down here, not that there are to many downsides mind you.

View Profile of Bobby Peru Send a personal message to Bobby Peru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 01:10 am   Permalink

Bump! Just spotted exquisite Balinese Girl (my favorite Tretch) with a big swanky vintage frame on e-bay. Out of my budget but somebody really should jump on this...

Tretchikoff print on eBay

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - fixed overly long link - 2007-02-14 12:30 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 10:46 am   Permalink

Hodad, I have a smaller signed version of that print.
I'd be willing to trade it for some tiki goodies.

It's one of a pair, of the same model. They're both signed by the artist himself. I'm looking to find these a good home.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 10:50 am   Permalink

By the way, you can still purchase 'Chinese Girl' new for only $52.36 US.
here

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 10:00 am   Permalink

Today Lileks posted a pic of a vintage hotel room with a Tretchikoff in situ. Nice.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 12:12 pm   Permalink

Ha! I have that Sound Gallery CD, I was always struck with this example of extreme dedication to kitsch: To go as far as to make yourself up like a Tretchikoff in drag!

James Lileks is a genius, I have never read anything funnier than his "Interior Desecrations". How about this musing from the above link:

"....Will 1997-era web design ever become "retro," complete with a jokey, misunderstood revival that flatters the observer with an idealized version of his childhood?"....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 12:28 pm   Permalink

That's a great Lilek's post, thanks for the headsup, Swanky. (As an aside -- if you don't have the Sound Gallery album, get it -- it's the perfect soundtrack to play during your getaway from a jewelry heist in the French Riviera in a cigarette boat.)

Here's a Chinese Girl remix I did when Mr. Bali Hai & I were volleying back & forth with remixed Chinese propaganda posters on our blogs:

Build a Powerful Navy Grog

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 1:57 pm   Permalink

That is great! Chinese propaganda art is so cool. OK then, here's one of my favorite postcard/inscription combinations, featuring a Tretchikoff (note the artistically off-set angle). At first glance, not really that impressive of a place...

...until the name and text on the back come striding along assuredly and save the day:

A classic! (Also note the photographer's name)

Wonder how many Navy Grogs it took to see those artifacts marching!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-14 13:56 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-06 12:12 pm   Permalink

Am I Blue? You would be too...

20"x26"

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-06 1:07 pm   Permalink

Not if I found HER!

A Tretchikoff thread with only ONE Tretchikoff painting left visible!? That's just not right!

I quickly had to snap a pic of my "Lady of the Orient", which I rescued from the Hamburg Lost & Found, and carried home on the plane:

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-06 4:03 pm   Permalink

I know the picture sucks, but it's the best I can do right now!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation