FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Garnish when drinking alone?
Garnish when drinking alone?
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 1:42 pm   Permalink

Obviously by my post count, I'm sort of a noob so bear with me. Do you guys garnish your drinks when drinking by yourself? We had a get together at the house last weekend and I have a ton of umbrellas, cherries, and pineapple wedges left...should I feel weird about making myself a drink and doing it up all the way? Thanks...I've already learned a ton from these boards!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 1:54 pm   Permalink

Go for it. The garnish can be an integral part of the drink, especially if it adds a particular taste or aroma. For example, a Mai Tai and Zombie definitely lose something when you leave out the mint sprig.

As for non-edible/non-smellable garnishes like umbrellas and swizzles, I think visual appeal is a big part of the experience too, so if it floats your outrigger, I say stick 'em in!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 1:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2008-01-27 14:28 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefFrank
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-27 4:23 pm   Permalink

What's the sense of enjoying a cocktail if you aren't going to do it right? I wouldn't feel right about drinking a mai tai if it didn't have a slice of pineapple, a cherry, an orchid and a frilly paper parasol in it. Even for breakfast, if you're having a tropical drink, you need to garnish.

View Profile of ChefFrank Send a personal message to ChefFrank  Email ChefFrank Goto the website of ChefFrank     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 4:51 pm   Permalink

In desperate times, I've downed a mai tai or two sans garnish. But Mr. Bali Hai is right - the garnish is often an essential component of the drink. Since it sits right under your nostrils when sipping, the garnish can add an aromatic quality that highlights the flavors of the fluids. My theory for why so many knock-off mai tai recipes include pineapple juice is that the imitators were fooled by the aroma of the pineapple wedge / cherry garnish.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 5:43 pm   Permalink

Garnish matters.

If you don't want to garnish your drink, dont. Its your drink, drink it how you want to. But, if you are going to do something, do it right.

And... proper, or at least interesting, garnish is part of the art of drinking.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 5:47 pm   Permalink

And...

Welcome to TC. Always glad to have a new drinker on board!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 10:58 pm   Permalink

Go for the garnish! that`s what makes the drink complete and without it you`ll always lack something..

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-28 05:00 am   Permalink

Garnish your drink as if it were your wages.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 07:09 am   Permalink

Thanks guys...after all this reassurance I made myself an excellent mai tai garnished to the hilt...you're all right, it was great. As an added bonus I seem to feel much less like an alcoholic with a pineapple slice and a sprig of mint in the glass!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-28 07:09, Jason Wickedly wrote:
.... I seem to feel much less like an alcoholic with a pineapple slice and a sprig of mint in the glass!

I am so going to use that line!

Can we work out some sort of royalty payment for it? I'll pay in rum.....

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation