[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Need subjects for velvet paintings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need subjects for velvet paintings
Beachcomber
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:20 am   Permalink

Im trying to find some non-copyrighted color photos to use as subjects for some velvet paintings I want to produce. Does anyone have any old snapshots they want to share that have that 1930s to 1950s classic Leeteg, Erwin, Bouvier look? Or does anyone have any moody Tiki photos that would look cool on velvet?

View Profile of Beachcomber Send a personal message to Beachcomber      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 2:25 pm   Permalink

Unga,

I'm crying......

And my stomach muscles hurt.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 5:46 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-04-07 05:51 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 7:33 pm   Permalink

UB and his photoshop tricks.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:01 pm   Permalink

Very amusink. Unfortunately, both of the above subjects are not really ideal for being rendered on black velvet, and I will explain why.

But let me first say that, unlike with Tiki carving, there is no black velvet painting revival to speak off yet, and that's a darn shame! So I am in support of all and any efforts to revive the art form, and here is my contribution:

Unfortunately, I did not have a live nude vahine handy, so Crazy Al's classic bobber will have to do. As in all great painting the LIGHT is of critical importance. The flat light that is thrown on the two subjects above is very undramatic. Here is the same light used on our model, creating a generic, matter of fact look:

Below is a much better lighting concept, a modeling key light from the left, and a cross light from the right, sculpting the body and separating it from the background. This lighting is best for photography, to make the subject as three dimensional as possible:

Looking much better, but we want to paint with light like Caravaggio did on canvas, but for our black velvet medium. For that, part of the figure has to melt with the black velvet, the shadow parts have to be pitch black with no fill light, so it looks like the nude is emerging out of the darkness. That is what creates the glow and mystery of a good velvet painting:

For this effect, I used just one key light, slightly diffused, no fill, no back light. This one here is from below, but a top light can look good too, especially with men.

Problem is, you usually won't find this type of look in snapshots that people have lying around. But you are on the right track asking for "moody" photographs. I hope this will give you further guidance to what to look out for.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-28 20:52 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:19 pm   Permalink

Bigbrotiki, did you figure that out? Thats amazing how much not only what light but from where! I am impressed! We never saw that at art school.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks BB. That's my OTHER job: as director of photography on movies, music videos and commercials, it is all about the lighting. Looking thru the camera is just a small part of the activity, the atmosphere you create through lighting is really your signature.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

Yah, the greats understand the relationship between light and shadow. Gutzon Borglum, Ansel Adams, Tyree.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:27 pm   Permalink

How about going through the bazillon old Hawaii and Tahiti post cards for subjects? You're not going to copy the image - you're just looking for inspiration, right?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:38 pm   Permalink

Really interesting post Sven Is the velvet just stretched over a frame in the same way a canvas would be? And what paint - oil? acrylic?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 11:16 pm   Permalink

Good questions. Sorry, I don't know, I never tried it.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-29 01:03 am   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 04:04 am   Permalink

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 07:26 am   Permalink

GROG is Great! New piece...."Velvet Jungle" on sale now.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 08:48 am   Permalink

Grog's genius piece proves a good point: With today's computer photo programs, like photo shop or even I-photo, flat lit subjects can be made into better black velvet models by cranking up the contrast and bringing out the highlights while bringing down the shadow areas....although I have no idea how he managed to do that with Unga's "boyfriend", he really is as flat as a flounder (lighting-wise).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation