Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 4:01 pm   Permalink

I just saw No Country for Old Men. Damn, the Cohen brothers have made some of my favorites over the years. Raising Arizona, Fargo, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Miller's Crossing and a few others, but this one floored me. One of those movies I can mull over from now on.
My favorite is still Raising Arizona, (Holly Hunter at her best but No Country for Old Men deserves an Oscar or three.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 5:44 pm   Permalink

I think I am the only person alive who didn't like this movie (and I am a huge fan of the Cohens).

http://www.tydirium.net/writings/films.html

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:27 am   Permalink

I thought is was very good. Not enough blood for my taste or what I was expecting of the film.
There certainly are not enough bad guy movies where the bad guy.....

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:55 am   Permalink

I made a point to see this one, partly because it was filmed in west Texas, a part of the country I visited last July. There really weren't many cinematic shots of the wide praries and open skies of West Texas in the movie though - what I remember most are the interior shots of low budget motels. I'm a fan of low budget motels, so I was OK with that.

The film does have its good points. The main trio of actors are interesting to watch, and the cinematography is good. But halfway through the film, I had the same reaction that James did. It reminded me of a horror movie, evolving to where one main character simply searches for / chases another through various settings. There were the moments of tension, the 'where is he now' moments, and every so often a scene of violence, or as one reviewer said, 'fleeing and fighting and little else'

Once that analogy entered my head, it was difficult to erase.
I found myself not wondering or caring about what was going through the minds of the characters, as much as wondering when the next chase or violent scene would emerge.

To me, this seemed like a high-budget horror or adventure movie, presented in a way that would appeal to people who might not normally go to see horror/adventure movies. The movie was entertaining, but I was somehow expecting much more.

The main Anton Chigorh character reminded me of the cyborg from the Terminator - a cool, efficient, relentless pursuer who has the non-stop 'he takes a licking and keeps on ticking' demeanor. (I was going to use the Energizer bunny analogy, that didn't seem to work very well)

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2008-01-31 09:26 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 07:47 am   Permalink

The movie, though I wasn't that impressed with it, sure stuck with me. It created a strange and different mood unlike any other film I've seen. Despite the WTF? ending, I see a sequel coming. A good killer just doesn't walk away from a career that easy.
I believe that Anton Chigurh will soon "battle it out" with Hannibal Lecter in a sequel kinda like "Alien meets Predator', but with the "Transformers" thrown in as their respective armies. But a sequel "The Pneumatic Killer Vs. The Cannibal" may depend on if Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman are available (as unlikely hero and President respectively).

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 5:56 pm   Permalink

Well, this thing just pissed me off. Maybe I'm shallow, but I was rooting for the Brolin character. No I know it's REALLY telling the story of the Tommy Lee Jones character and that it's supposed to be brilliant to tell it by means of this supposedly peripheral story, but the peripheral story was compelling, the bad guy was really bad and the close calls were thrilling, etc. That's the story I wanted to see and I wanted a typical protagonist triumphs over antagonist kind of ending with a lot of scares and thrills and so on. Bastards.

And THEN...I saw Eastern Promises. They did the same sort of "Brilliant" story convention here and It pissed me off TOO!. The REAL story is the nurse and the baby, but the Viggo Mortenson character is the interesting one, HIS journey is the interesting one, and the hints that he is some sort of undercover agent is fascinating and THAT"S THE STORY I WANTED TO SEE!!!!! BASTARDS!

Where's a copy of Death Wish when you need it?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 6:14 pm   Permalink

This was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
but then, I don't see a lot of movies.

btw, it's Coen, not Cohen.

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 09:58 am   Permalink

I was completely underwhelmed- and I am a fan of the Coens.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 4:42 pm   Permalink

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 9:43 pm   Permalink

Cool video for No Country for Old Men

http://nocountryforoldmen.com/

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tekoteko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 7:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-08 21:43, Ojaitimo wrote:
Cool video for No Country for Old Men

http://nocountryforoldmen.com/

http://www.petitiononline.com

View Profile of tekoteko Send a personal message to tekoteko  Email tekoteko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-25 3:33 pm   Permalink

Three Oscar's, not bad but it deserved more IMHO.

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 7:05 pm   Permalink

Did I say three Oscars? My bad! Four Academy Awards including Best Picture,
Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor.

I could say Neener, Neener but I won't.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation