FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Psycho Tiki D in Chicago the week of 01/04-01/09/10 go to page 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Psycho Tiki D in Chicago the week of 01/04-01/09/10 go to page 2
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 16:24, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Where is Vic's supposed to be at?

Here's the latest on TV Chicago (that I could find). The Chicago folks might be able to add to this:

http://chicagoist.com/2008/03/05/trader_vics_is.php

I, Z

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 7:45 pm   Permalink

argggh!!! sorry i couldn't make it out to the chef to drink with you guys.......we were out way late last night to see the final performance of angela eve's twisted tassel burlesque fest ....which made for a long night and an even longer work day....just couldn't rally this evening....perhaps hala kahiki thurs. nite ???

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-26 19:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

argggh!!! sorry i couldn't make it out to the chef to drink with you guys.......we were out way late last night to see the final performance of angela eve's twisted tassel burlesque fest ....which made for a long night and an even longer work day....just couldn't rally this evening....perhaps hala kahiki thurs. nite ???

Can't make it Thursday, but heading there on Friday!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 08:05 am   Permalink

you may want to check out the astronauts lounge combo at the sandbar in brookfield friday night.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , all you have to do is then drive south on 1st (river rd.) till you cross over the 290 express way, go a little further to ogden ave. and you are about 5 minutes from sandbar....you can do both in one evening...sandbar is really cool lounge with tropical drinks, some tiki and atomic retro decor and the band is really good...check it out if you can....google sandbar brookfield for detailed directions and info....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-27 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-27 08:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , ....

I don't know, man, the HK's Scorpions have been packing a wallop lately. Maybe it's just because they seem to like us over there.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-27 09:00, Tonga Trader wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-03-27 08:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , ....

I don't know, man, the HK's Scorpions have been packing a wallop lately. Maybe it's just because they seem to like us over there.

TT

..not likely...hala kahiki don't play favorites with booze or customers...i've know them for years and even I do not get special treatment or discounts....

....I am just spoiled now cause i frequent the chef more often these days....their drinks pack a wallop and it takes 3 or 4 hala kahiki drinks to equal the boozy wooziness of 1-2 drinks at the chef.

I love hala kahiki..always will, but the smart money (and liver) drinks at the chef!!!

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 12:41 pm   Permalink

As I wrote in the most recent issue of Tiki Magazine this is exactly why my attitude on HK has changed and for the better.

Go to the Chef for a good meal and two (or three...) strong mai tais, and then go to HK for DESSERT. Their coffee, tea, and ice cream drinks are good... their mai tais and zombies are not.

This epiphany has made me stop griping about the only thing about HK that I do not like (the quality of their classic Bergeron / Beachcomber drinks), and focus on what a real treasure HK is.

Ac-cent-u-ate the positive - for dessert drinks, they rock!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-27 12:41, tikibars wrote:
As I wrote in the most recent issue of Tiki Magazine this is exactly why my attitude on HK has changed and for the better.

Go to the Chef for a good meal and two (or three...) strong mai tais, and then go to HK for DESSERT. Their coffee, tea, and ice cream drinks are good... their mai tais and zombies are not.

This epiphany has made me stop griping about the only thing about HK that I do not like (the quality of their classic Bergeron / Beachcomber drinks), and focus on what a real treasure HK is.

Ac-cent-u-ate the positive - for dessert drinks, they rock!

tikibars,

This is great advice -- and what me and my gal will follow next time where down that way. I was at HK in early Feb -- though we first went to Tongs Tiki Hut not Chef -- and I was grumbling about the HK drinks. Instead, I should have cut back on the grub at dinner and saved room for dessert at HKs. It's a simple but great idea. Much better than hoping that the classic drinks are suddenly going to get better.

I, Z

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2008-03-27 16:46 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 5:19 pm   Permalink

(/quote)

Much better than hoping that the classic drinks are suddenly going to get better.

[/quote]

...yeah...we gave that up years ago!!

psycho D, you may want to follow that advice too...sandbar has really good food, the drinks aren't bad at all, and there's a good lounge band...why not start your evening there and then head to hala kahiki for dessert/drinks......

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-27 17:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-27 17:22 ]

Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-28 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

Much better than hoping that the classic drinks are suddenly going to get better.

What anybody who isn't a regular or semi-regular should understand is HK isn't trying to copy classic tropical cocktails. They used a lot of the names, and even some of the ingredients to match, but their recipes are original and they are proud of it. Don't get the wrong idea, and expect something you're not going to get.

James's desert drink strategy is certainly viable. Option 2 is to put your time in at the bar and try several different drinks (probably should do that over more than one visit) based on what ingredients look good to you on the menu, and out of the hundred something concoctions they have, you're bound to find something you like. Then you stick with it. We've been on a Scorpion kick for a while. Try one, they ain't bad as long as you're not expecting it to be a traditional Scorpion. If you're doing the dessert thing, the Passionate Rummy rocks.

The Chef's drinks are pretty apathetic, really. They're just cheap and strong. I do find their Zombies quite palatable, however, and prefer them over their Mai Tais even though I don't usually drink traditional Zombies.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 11:04 am   Permalink

I've only been to HK a few times and one of those I wasn't allowed in because my 13 year old daughter was under aged. Wouldn't even let her look around...

Anyway. The times I was there I was the only person there, arriving at opening. I sat and soaked in the environs and had a couple of drinks. The sum was quite intoxicating. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it was something else, but I stumbled out of there on a cloud.

That's my only advice. Get there as early as possible and enjoy the place as empty as possible. I'm glad I have not been there when it was crowded.

Maybe drink faster!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 11:08 am   Permalink

their recipes may be original, but they use original flavored cheap pre mixed syrups to form those original drinks, so original or not, I feel the bulk of them are apathetic...at least the chef uses real ingredients.....

I enjoy some of hala kahiki drinks, but my original arguement was that they are really light on the booze and too much on the flavored syrup...like snow cone mix, without the snow (ice)....when a bar like hala kahiki, who's purpose and only product is booze, they better be damn sure they are serving a good product, otherwise what's the point?? they don't serve food to make up for it!!!

i dunno, maybe im just not a lightweight like some folks and appreciate a good strong flavorful drink.....sorry to piss on everyones parade but life's rough, folks....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-28 11:09 ]

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 3:26 pm   Permalink

Chicago, what can I say? Intrigued and disappointed at the same time. Intrigued by the stay power of two well established venues, yet disappointed by the lack of marketing that either could greatly benefit from.

Not only that, (and I am sure to fault myself for either the time of day or the time of year, being it was spring break), NO TCer's to speak of!

Where I was amazed with the interior decor at both places, which predominately were overwhelmingly representitive of some incredible Witco carvings, both lacked personality via any type of take away signature representation; i.e. no mugs or shirts with logos or establishment name!

While both venues are very classic in their tiki design, I would have to pick Chef Shangrila over the Hala Kahiki. Even with the "gift shop" at the Hala Kahiki, nothing I couldn't find at any other gift shop in a mall or tourist venue, save maybe the Witco Llama bar and stool hidden in the backroom with a price tag of $500.00 and a few Coco Joe's items on a shelf. No puffer fish to be found!

I ate dinner at Chef Shangrila and it was o.k. Didn't drink because I was driving, so no comment on the quality of the drink menu there. I really was blown away with the lamps in this place, simply an amazing display and well worth the stop.

Hala Kahiki was different in that it offered only drinks and again, was very well decorated and themed. I did like the outside area even though it was not looking good due to the winter and could only imagine what it was like in spring and summer! Had two drinks, not great, but the the vibe was good. The real irritation was the music fading in and out, they have to fix that, the speakers were clipping out and that was annoying!

That being said, both places are definitely worth a stop by to visit, but I would skip both for the Tiki Terrace if I had to make a choice between the three. When I went to the Tiki Terrace last year, the drinks were great, the food, even better, floor show excellent and they had stuff to buy with their name on it (altough the bar was tiny)!

Pictures later!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-01 09:51 am   Permalink

Yeah, the music at HK can be a problem. They play Hawaiian music in the background at a low volume, which would be fine except the speakers are fried. But then they have the jukebox set at a higher volume, which cuts in and overrides the background music if someone plays it.

We had to leave one time when some dude played the entire Celine Dion CD to impress his date!

Sorry we couldn't meet you, I was working those evenings.

TT

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:06 am   Permalink

Reviving an old thread, traveling to Chicago for training next week, so if anyone is going to be around or out to any of the tiki haunts let me know and I will meet up for drinks. Been to all but Trader Vic's, which will be a definite stop this time around.

Thanks,

PTD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation