FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sams Seafood
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Sams Seafood
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:08 pm   Permalink

I have not heard a whole lot about people going to Sams anymore.
Are they sinking, or are they still afloat?
Last time I was there, I was not that impressed with their Mai Tais.
Mahalo,
Tiki Bill

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:39 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry, but yes, the mai tais suck.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 12:39, Unga Bunga wrote:

I always think it's odd when bars/restaurants have bad mai tais. First of all, the original Trader Vic recipe is far from being a secret. Vic Bergeron published the recipe ages ago. Second, it's not that difficult a drink to make. Third, it's not made with any ingredients that are hard to come by.

Couple ounces of dark rum, half ounce each of orgeat and curacao, juice from a lime. That's it! Sheesh!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 13:16, arriano wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-01-31 12:39, Unga Bunga wrote:

Couple ounces of dark rum, half ounce each of orgeat and curacao, juice from a lime. That's it! Sheesh!

BLASPHEMY!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 2:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, he forgot the mint.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 4:26 pm   Permalink

Yeah, but do they serve beer?

PYD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2008-01-31 7:04 pm   Permalink

The last time SoccerTiki and I were at Sam's the Mai Tai's were Tiki-rrific. Maybe drinking them out of The Tide Pool Bowl created by GoGo & Dani had something to do with it. The food was delicious as always. A Little Tiki Mug told us that Sam's has a new owner and is under new management too. As of the last time we were there their bar schedule was:

HAPPY HOUR: THURS SAT: 4-7pm
With happy hour specials including, $3 Well drinks, $2 and $3 Drafts
and Half off of appetizers

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Daves Not Home
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 11:00 pm   Permalink

Happy Hour on Saturdays?!?!?!? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

View Profile of Daves Not Home Send a personal message to Daves Not Home  Goto the website of Daves Not Home     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 12:23 pm   Permalink

Wow!! Who's ever heard of happy hour Thurs thru Sat.May be that's why they
have laid off half the staff and not open for lunch.I would love to be able
to buy out that place and run it like a real polynesian bar and restaurant-
to where people would flock for miles just to come in and enjoy a scorpian
or navy grog, and just hang out.They need some real bands and entertainment
to play back in the polynesian room.I can't tell you how many good times I
have had there and seen bands like the- Surfaris , the Torquays, Dick Dale, not to mention
the hula girls that used to come in and do a full on show.
What happened to the good ole'days.Wish full thinking I guess .....huh?
Mahalo,
Trader Bill

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2008-02-01 12:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2008-02-01 12:27 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 3:24 pm   Permalink

We had something going on a while back...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=25095&forum=17&start=15&hilite=tiki%20tuesdays

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Daves Not Home
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 4:38 pm   Permalink

Bad news; no Saturday Happy Hour

View Profile of Daves Not Home Send a personal message to Daves Not Home  Goto the website of Daves Not Home     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:10 pm   Permalink

So basically there is a happy hour if any- on Thursday and Friday.
I don't even care about price or happy hour.I just want to go in...
have a few drinks... talk to some good looking dames and have a
good time.I want to support the place and help keep it a float.
Although I don't get in there as often as I would like to,because
of the amount of hours I work.I will say this, I always leave there
with a smile on my face and feeling good .I have been going to this
nostalgic place for twenty years or so.

Trader Bill,
signing off
Mahalo

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 5:43 pm   Permalink

I happened to go to lunch this weekend in Palm Springs with one of the investors that bought the place when we thought it was gonna be destroyed. Full coincidence though.... He's the boyfriend of my girlfriend's friend. Super funny, young, nice guy, with little to no concern for what it once was. He's a surfer and liked that it was a tiki bar but that was the extent of it..... They were all about making it a club.
I was very good at restraining myself (haha)....

So I think he said that they put three or four hundred grand into the place, and then as we know now, sold it. He said that they didn't have original plans to make it into the restaurant again or preserve the tiki vibe really. They just wanted to make it a modern dance club and 'have fun'. I guess the investors were split on that idea...

He sited many reasons why it was failing but never came to the conclusion that it could have been the drinks and music and service.... Even he admitted that the food was too expensive. I know anyone of us feels like they could do the place right and make money off of it. In reality though, the location is tough and it's a huge restaurant to fill and staff!! The rent was really expensive too, I guess.

It also took them 8 months of owning it before they could even start getting people into the restaurant. That's a lot of down time and wasted money...

So, I guess we'll see what the new owners are gonna do with it. I think he said they were gonna rename it the Kona Burger something..... I hope these guys don't blow it.

Also, he actually lived at Sam's for a while in the back office. How rad would that have been?? Well...rad and pretty damn scary at night, I would guess.

What's going on with the land? Is it still slated for condos eventually? It needs historic building classification like Harvey's Broiler....

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 6:09 pm   Permalink

GRRRR.....Good restraint on your part...he sounds like a real TOOL if you ask me. Frikken Dance club...what an idiot.

Now it's going to a "Kona Burger"...hmmm.....well, at least it's got KONA in the name, so there is a small shred of hope....but not much it seems.

I'm forever hopeful tho'.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 9:13 pm   Permalink

Great!
Let's have another going away party.

Kona Burger?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation