FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sams Seafood
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Sams Seafood
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2008-05-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-02 19:11, WooHooWahine wrote:
I just drove by and saw the Kona's sign on the door. (The big sign outside still says Sam's and the giant fish is still lit) SoccerTiki and I are planning on doing some investigating tonight.

Here's our findings:

Yes, the name has changed to Kona's
(Only the sign on the door says Kona's as of now but the menus and the business cards say Kona's too)

Tikiness: Two thumbs up as always

Food: Two thumbs up!! Lots of specials all week long

Service: SUCKED!! They just don't get it. I wish they would rehire all the Old School Waitresses that use to work there. SoccerTiki and I sat at a booth in the bar and waited 15 minutes until we decided we should flag someone down to take our order. There were a total of 5 staff in the bar plus the manager (four behind the bar standing there talking to each other. One waitresses who kept vanishing and the manager who had his head in the clouds)

Music: I'll let you decide....When we arrived they were playing Bob Marley then a the band set up in the bar and played Classic Rock/Folk Music. We left as they were playing Bobby McGee.

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-05-03 09:22 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 12:27 pm   Permalink

Oh, I though they were having the bands in the banquet room.... No, I think more of a loungy act is perfect for dinner. The problem is that most of the cool has left newport, costa mesa, huntington a couple of years ago. Most people don't go out to search out cool original music in this area any more. Hence the closing of just about all of the live music venues in the area....'The Tiki Bar', 'Club Mesa', and 'The Galaxy'.
I think it's hard to get people into a bar to listen to slow, different, rad music these days. ....and I'm talking to really pack the place, you might need somthing more accessible....like a cover band. Something that people know. Something that they can latch onto.
....I think it sucks too....but if that's what it takes to keep a place like Sam's open... I'm trying to be realistic.
I def don't want to go there and hear Boby McGee though...or loud rock while I'm eating dinner...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 3:00 pm   Permalink

I had heard that they were not going to have loud rock bands in the back tiki room, because of volume issues and the condos behind them complaining all the time.

I have seen a couple bands there in the past as well as a few partys.

that really blows if true.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 11:54 am   Permalink

My parents went there on Sun. and said that the new owner is open to having partys and bands in the back room again.

yeeees.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 3:39 pm   Permalink

We went on Sunday night as well...there was an acoustic guitar duo playing cover songs. I was laughing because they reminded me of Tenacious D. I had the Kona Burger (excellent), and the girl and I shared a Navy Grog for two (not so excellent, nothing Navy Grog about it.) The service was great, both owners were working and continuously stopped by the table to check on us. (We sat at one of the booths in the bar.) Also, we picked up a brochure on renting the place for an event i.e. a wedding reception, and the prices were pretty reasonable, something like $500 for 4 hours. We're thinking of having ours there, anyone know any local neo-exotica bands that want to play Kona sometime in the next year or so?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 3:50 pm   Permalink

Tikiyaki orchestra

Martini kings

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 15:50, lucas vigor wrote:
Tikiyaki orchestra

Martini kings

Yeah those were the two I had in mind, I was half hoping they would volunteer their services - for a fee of course

[ This Message was edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-05-28 16:21 ]

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 5:00 pm   Permalink

(Holding up hand) Consider the T.O volunteered.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 17:00, tikiyaki wrote:
(Holding up hand) Consider the T.O volunteered.

We'll take you up on that! Target date is probably Spring or Summer 2009, we're going to plan a big ol' Tiki party wedding and reception. Our parents will be SO thrilled. </sarcasm>

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 09:21 am   Permalink

Cool....

Well, we'll just have to convert them to Tikiphiles.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drinqwine

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:55 am   Permalink

Setting it straight...
As the new (since January) owner of Sam's Seafood we have reluctantly decided to change the name. The restaurant has a long history but poor reputation, the locals have deserted it and it has become a place that people still remember getting poor quality all you can eat crab for $10.95. My wife and I are the majority owners, we do not have the marketing budget to try to restore the name. Kind of like pushing a boulder up hill with no end in sight. So we renamed it KONA, the outside sign has now been changed and the fish sign should say KONA by the end of the month. My apologies to WooHooWahine who was in I think May 3rd and received crappy service. Both of the managers have been relieved of duty the second week of May and we now have 3 new managers who actually care and want to see the restaurant succeed. I do acknowledge that service needs to improve and we are working very hard on it. It is not our intention to dilute or whitewash the Tiki theme, we want to promote it, grow it, and help it reach new heights in the O.C. and points beyond. As many of you know, we have the Tikiyaki Orchestra scheduled for July 11 and have also brought back the Smokin' Menehunes. Unfortunately on Friday's and Saturday's we don't have the audience to support the cool Tiki inspired music. My good friend Soccer Tiki has been a fantastic supporter and we are LISTENING! A new, true to it's roots, Mai Tai will be forthcoming in addition to our "house" Mai Tai and we will once again be selling the last of Sam's Seafood Tiki mugs. We will be paying great respect to Sam and his business, so we want to reach out to everyone who has some old pictures from Sam's that they would like us to put up in the restaurant as an "Aloha to Sam's" wall. Thank you all for your continued support, concerns and ideas. My wife and I look forward to meeting all the Tiki Central folks soon!
Chuck & Susan - KONA Restaurant Proprietors

View Profile of drinqwine Send a personal message to drinqwine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 09:09 am   Permalink

Sounds good to me.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 12:55 pm   Permalink

Chuck,
thanks alot,
I have some Ideas, I'd like to discuss with you if I may.
can you e-mail me?

Jeff(bigtikidude)
bigtikidude@yahoo.com

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 1:25 pm   Permalink

Always good news when the owner says he wants to amp up the tiki in his tiki restaurant.

Glad to hear about the Mai Tai. After being at Hukilau this weekend, and spending 3 days at the Mai Kai, I see how important the drinks are.

I have to say, Kona has the food part dialed in...that's a good thing.

My recommendation is to start with some of the Beachbum Berry Books, and pull some drink recipes from there. I'm sure most Tiki Geeks would agree.

Either way, Chuck I'm glad you're making sure that we all know that the "bad mana" has left the building.

Damn, if I only lived closer to HB, I would be there for Happy Hour all the time.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-06-18 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 12:55, bigtikidude wrote:
Chuck,
thanks alot,
I have some Ideas, I'd like to discuss with you if I may.
can you e-mail me?

Jeff(bigtikidude)
bigtikidude@yahoo.com

Are they music-related suggestions?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation