FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music "Four Rooms" (1995)
"Four Rooms" (1995)
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 08:53 am   Permalink

This film does not feel "scored" in the conventional way but features a good bunch of Esquivel space-age tunes, glued together with music by Combustible Edison. The blend between old and new is basically seamless, and the music does a great deal to help generate this bizarre movie's otherworldly atmosphere. There is also, I believe, a cheesy luau-style party taking place peripherally at one point. I don't recall seeing any tikis at any point in this film, but it deserves a look for its music and feel.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 09:37 am   Permalink

the scene with antonio banderas kids in the hotel room is one of the MOST DARKLY HILARIOUS things ever put to film...and every parents NIGHTMARE...spotty in parts but a great flick nonetheless

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-01 09:46 am   Permalink

Here is an example of the movie.........
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RaxWds4CQH0
Here is the soundtrack on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Rooms-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000002HKQ
[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Tiki 2008-02-01 10:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Tiki 2008-02-01 10:08 ]

View Profile of Johnny Tiki Send a personal message to Johnny Tiki  Email Johnny Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-01 10:55 am   Permalink

I pissed myself laughing at the dead hooker in the bxo spring scene!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

A very good movie...of course I could do without the Quentin Tarantino violence...but then again, some people probably like that. I love Antonio Banderas and he did a great job. Thanks for the info on the music.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 04:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-02 17:55, VampiressRN wrote:
A very good movie...of course I could do without the Quentin Tarantino violence...

Chopping off a finger pales in comparison to just about everything else he's ever been involved in...and you only see that for a split second. I thought Ted puking at the sight of the dead hooker was much worse.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 09:22 am   Permalink

I never saw the movie. Although I was glad to hear that Combustible Edison got the scoring gig, episodic films rarely turn out any good.
Didn't Julian Temple direct one episode at the Madonna Inn? I should netflix the Film, now I am curious if any of the Witco furnished rooms are in it... I worked with Julian on a David Bowie video, I still remember after the main shoot he and me (with a battery lamp) and the camera woman snuck away to Hollywood Blvd late at night and we filmed him peeing on Ronald Reagan's star...he always was a punk at heart! Aaaah, those good ol' Musicvideo days! Wonder why that never ended up in the final video. ...and they didn't have U-tube back then.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
modbetty
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-04 10:11 am   Permalink

How random!

I've had the promo soundtrack for this movie for years and just this Saturday put it on while I was puttering about the house, after not listening to it for just as many years. I guess you guys have loud voices!

I loved Combustible Edison back in the day, anyone know what happened to rest of them, besides Brother Cleve?

View Profile of modbetty Send a personal message to modbetty  Goto the website of modbetty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 10:48 am   Permalink

The Millionaire is scoring soundtracks and DJing on Luxuriamusic.com.

Last I heard Liz was doing voice over work.

Laughing Boy is the current drummer with Waitiki.

Nick Cudahy plays bass in assorted jazz bands in New York City.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 06:55 am   Permalink

I have noticed that movie- and art-oriented people seem to tune into this film's weird, swanky vibe, and don't drag it over the coals for its lack of story, preferring to appreciate the ambiance and the gags. I remember putting this on in a hotel room party once. Person One said, "What is THIS??" Person Two said, "Oh, just one of those hidden treasures very few people have seen."

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-10 6:28 pm   Permalink

Four rooms was not released down under, but I bought this movie on the strength of this thread. Glad I did, thouroughly enjoyed myself, laughed hard. Verti-go-go is the ginchiest...

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation