FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Don's Mix?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Don's Mix?
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 5:21 pm   Permalink

Howdy gang,

Whipping up a batch of Don's mix for Zombie consumption. I've made my cinnamon-infused sugar syrup, but what kind of grapefruit juice are you using? Red or white? I think red would be great for color. Just curious..

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-01 8:35 pm   Permalink

White grapefruit juice for sure.

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 12:09 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess I was a little late seeing an answer. I made my Don's mix with Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. I feel it came out really good. I love the cinnamon flavoring it brings out. Don was a genius for thinking up this mixture and Beachbum Berry was ever smarter for cracking the code.

Bottoms up...

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 1:30 pm   Permalink

The Bum insists upon white grapefruit, as he claims the pink and red are too sweet, but I've used the red in Don's mix #2 as well, and it doesn't seem to make a tremendous amount of difference unless you're using a pre-made cinnamon syrup that's very sweet to begin with.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Herf

Posted: 2008-02-05 01:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-01 17:21, Bogielocks wrote:
Howdy gang,

Whipping up a batch of Don's mix for Zombie consumption. I've made my cinnamon-infused sugar syrup, but what kind of grapefruit juice are you using? Red or white? I think red would be great for color. Just curious..

Rick

So what is your cinnamon-infused sugar syrup recipe?

And has anyone had good results with pre-made cinnamon syrups (like maybe Fee Brothers)?

View Profile of Herf Send a personal message to Herf  Email Herf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 3:14 pm   Permalink

In Sippin' Safari (which I just got for my birthday)...I know I'm a little slow, The Bum suggests Starbucks cinnamon syrup...that is if you are too lazy to boil sugar and water. I went to my local Starbucks and now they only have Dulce Cinnamon, as the regular cinnamon syrup has been discontinued. I guess I will have to make it from scratch.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 4:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-07 15:14, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
In Sippin' Safari (which I just got for my birthday)...I know I'm a little slow, The Bum suggests Starbucks cinnamon syrup...that is if you are too lazy to boil sugar and water. I went to my local Starbucks and now they only have Dulce Cinnamon, as the regular cinnamon syrup has been discontinued. I guess I will have to make it from scratch.

Yes. See earlier posts regarding this:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26890&forum=10&hilite=sonoma

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 6:17 pm   Permalink

It is really easy to make, just follow the recipe. And it keeps real well in the frig. I made some a few months back and I am almost finished with it. It is great.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 8:51 pm   Permalink

Oh, I have made it in the past, and I just made some tonight. Next I will have to make the ginger infused syrup...anyone made that one yet? Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-01 20:35, SufferinSimon wrote:
White grapefruit juice for sure.

Has anyone seen white grapefruit in the store this year?

I can't find any place that sells them, including Mexican and Asian markets. I had a friend that was supplying me with very spicy white grapefruit from her tree, but not recently.

The markets have tons of inexpensive red grapefruit this season ('07-'08), which are OK substitutes. Any fresh squeezed grapefruit juice is better than bottled.

I even bought a pomelo, which smelled like white grapefruit on the outside, but the juice did not taste like white grapefruit. Not recommended as a substitute for white grapefruit!

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-12 8:49 pm   Permalink

Trader Joe's has fresh 80% of the time. But, you are correct, it's disappeared in supermarket chains. The canned Ocean Spray is sporadic at Stater Brothers and gone fromRalph's, Von's, and Albertson's.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 4:01 pm   Permalink

Here in Florida I have always had trouble finding white graprefruits. Pink, yes. Red, yes. But white never. At least not in the chain grocery stores.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 4:39 pm   Permalink

If anyone needs whites I have an incredible supply right now.

I will send them to you fresh picked through FedEx if you pay for shipping.

As many as you could want, from Rusty Key's grove. Organically grown.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 4:42 pm   Permalink

BTW, bar owners. It will cost you free drinks at $1 per grapefruit off my tab whenever I show up at your place.
Other than that- have at it. They're falling off the trees right now and perfect.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-14 07:46 am   Permalink

Haven't had any trouble getting white grapefruit here in the Northwest at Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger).

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation