FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Don's Mix?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Don's Mix?
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-14 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-02 13:30, MrBaliHai wrote:
The Bum insists upon white grapefruit, as he claims the pink and red are too sweet, but I've used the red in Don's mix #2 as well, and it doesn't seem to make a tremendous amount of difference unless you're using a pre-made cinnamon syrup that's very sweet to begin with.

I didn't know there was a difference between pink and white. I bet there is more of a difference between fresh, not-from-concentrate, and from concentrate juices, than there is between pink and white. And there is probably a huge difference in taste between brands. I use Tropicana Pure Premium Ruby Red not-from-concentrate since Kick-The-Reverb recommended it here. A look on Tropicana's web site shows they make the same in gold but the web's search engine turned up no chain grocery stores that carry it where I live. They say the golden is pulp free whereas the red isn't, so I would think that the gold would be better for drinks (or one could strain the pulp out of the red stuff).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-14 13:44, thejab wrote:
I bet there is more of a difference between fresh, not-from-concentrate, and from concentrate juices, than there is between pink and white. And there is probably a huge difference in taste between brands. I use Tropicana Pure Premium Ruby Red not-from-concentrate since Kick-The-Reverb recommended it here. A look on Tropicana's web site shows they make the same in gold but the web's search engine turned up no chain grocery stores that carry it where I live. They say the golden is pulp free whereas the red isn't, so I would think that the gold would be better for drinks (or one could strain the pulp out of the red stuff).

Jab, I agree. I bought some Ocean Spray White Grapefruit 100% Juice (it was inexpensive) that was from concentrate to give it a try, and it has an overpowering, lifeless, "from concentrate" taste that makes it unusable. The taste is almost completely removed from fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

I've found fresh squeezed red or the Tropicana like Kick-The-Reverb uses to be good substitutes.

I've found fresh squeezed white grapefruit to be spicier and tangier than red. It really adds depth and complexity that makes the drink.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 08:30 am   Permalink

Here's another recommendation for fresh squeezed white. Here in Portland we've been getting these gorgeous Oroblanco varietal grapefruit and they are heaven (white gold, indeed). Spicy and bright with a deep tart flavor, they almost resemble a Pomelo. I'm guessing they are closer to a Pomelo anyway; the flavor and morphology are very similar.

Speaking of that, Pomelo is a great substitution for grapefruit (grapefruit are hybrids: pomelo X orange). The spicy citrus marries with the agricole and industriale rums like a freakin' champ. Ceylon Cinnamon also marries extremely well. Honey, Pomelo, cinnamon, and a Martinique? Heaven!

Try this one out if you get the chance:

Gannt Daquiri
1/2 oz Fresh Pomelo Juice (sub fresh white grapefruit)
1/4 oz honey
1/4 oz cinnamon infused syrup
2 oz aged Rhum Martinique (St James, Clement, etc.)

Shake with cracked ice and strain into chilled 4-oz cocktail glass.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 12:04 am   Permalink

Has anybody seen fresh white grapefruit lately?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-04 00:04, TikiSan wrote:
Has anybody seen fresh white grapefruit lately?

Fresh white only shows up during late spring up here. I never see it in the stores - only on neighbors trees.

Sorry, that wasn't much help. Some of the fancy pants stores will carry unsweetened white grapefruit juice. Not as good as fresh but still better than ruby/red grapefruit in cocktails.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 10:57 am   Permalink

Yes, fresh is best, but who wants to only drink Zombies "in season"? I buy the white grapefruit frozen concentrate, and mix up a couple ounces at a time: oz. concentrate to 1 oz. water. Keep the container sealed in the freezer with a baggie and a rubber band, so it doesn't pick up any other "exotic" flavors.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 12:19 pm   Permalink

I still have some on my grapefruit tree.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 12:51 pm   Permalink

I checked at the grocery store today and they only had White Grapefruit Juice (from concentrate) in the big plastic bottles. The only fresh (Tropicana, not from concentrate) was Ruby Red. Also, the only small bottles of juice (6-packs) they had were Ruby Red.

On the plus side, I did get some frozen Goya Passion Fruit Puree.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-04 12:19, hiltiki wrote:
I still have some on my grapefruit tree.

be right over...

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 8:30 pm   Permalink

I can get fresh white grapefruit here in Cincinnati about 8 month out of the year. Unfortunately I can't get them this time of year. Right now I'm using Ocean Spray White Grapefruit Juice and spiking it with a little bit of fresh squeezed whatever variety I can find (hopefully pink, ruby red if it's all that's around) to add a bit of freshness and zing to the bottled juice.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

I made some Donn's Mix # 7 last nite using white grapefruit juice. will try out in a zombie tonight. Frankly though, i don't see how white v. pink/red is going to make any noticeable difference in any tiki drink i can think of other than the reverb crash. but i'd better try it in a zombie, just to be sure...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation