FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food I think I've finally come across the right Mai Tai variation at home
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
I think I've finally come across the right Mai Tai variation at home
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 9:49 pm   Permalink

It's been a while since I've been mixing at home and I broke out my favorite Grog Log and Intoxica recipes last weekend. I've either been doing the Trader Vic Grog or the Tonga Zombie. Both great drinks. It's also been a long time since I've mixed a Mai Tai at home. I figured if I couldn't get it to taste like the Mai Kai Mai Tais or the Trader Vic Mai Tais, then the hell with it. Tonight though I think I've stumbled on a variation that is closest to the Trader Vic version that you get when you go to one of their restaurants. It's a variation on the Mai Tai recipe on page 50 of Grog Log. I won't go through the contents of that since you probably have ye olde Grog Log at home. I'll just tell you how I did it. Here it is:

1 oz. Lime juice
1/4 oz. Curacao
1/2 oz. Trader Vic Orgeat
1/4 oz. Trader Vic Rock Candy Syrup
2 oz. Myer's Dark Rum

Basically I cut down the lime juice by 1/2 oz., cut down the Curacao by a 1/4 oz., and increased the Orgeat by a 1/4 oz. I also abandoned the combination of dark and light rums by only adding the dark. Myer's in particular which already has a sweet-ish flavor that goes well with other sweet flavors. You'll see what I mean if you only do the familiar 'Myer's and Orange Juice' cocktail. It just blends well with that spectrum. I had to cut down on the Curacao. It was just making it too bitter. I could see how some might prefer that, but cutting down on that really gives enough of a hint to not make this taste like some half-assed sweet drink and gives you an overall mellow trip. In terms of color and flavor this is definitely the closest I have come to the Trader Vic bar made version. Even the Trader Vic Mai Tai mix doesn't taste like the ones you get at the TV bars. In fact that mix tastes almost nothing like the TV bar Mai Tais. A few years ago someone here at TC gave me a recipe for a home made Trader Vic Mai Tai that included Coca-Cola. I appreciate the recipe hand off, but even that didn't do it for me.

Of course you know that there hasn't been a Trader Vic's in New York City for almost 20 years, so if I have the TV Mai Tais it's usually on vacation somewhere. The last time I had one was when I went to the TV Lounge in Los Angeles last October. Before that I was at the TV Atlanta in 2004. So when I taste one of those Mai Tais, believe me, as they said on Seinfeld, it was 'tatooed on my brain'. So yeah, this was a successful adventure. If you haven't tried something like this, check it out.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 12:40 pm   Permalink

Hey! Try this one. The same amount of regular Mai Tai ingredients but for the rums try Coruba and Cruzan Single Barrel. In my opinion, this is as good or if not better than when I make the $100.00 Mai Tai with the Appleton's 12 year and the St James Hors d'age. It has a warmer huskier flavor from the Coruba, which I now use in place of Myers. It is less expensive, and not as harsh as the Myers. Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 01:27 am   Permalink

I've given up on the Mai Tai myself. I've never gotten one I'm really happy with but I'll try this one. BUT THEN THAT'S IT!

thanks

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 07:32 am   Permalink

Just barely over an oz. of lime juice works for me. I haven't tried cutting the curacao down from 1/2 to 1/4 oz. Myers makes a pretty nice mai tai, but Appleton's 12 is still my favorite.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-03 07:32, BrickHorn wrote:
Just barely over an oz. of lime juice works for me. I haven't tried cutting the curacao down from 1/2 to 1/4 oz. Myers makes a pretty nice mai tai, but Appleton's 12 is still my favorite.

Hm. I haven't mixed drinks at home in so long I forgot about Appleton which I used to buy pretty often. I'll try that as soon as I run out of the Myer's.

Quote:
Try this one. The same amount of regular Mai Tai ingredients but for the rums try Coruba and Cruzan Single Barrel. In my opinion, this is as good or if not better than when I make the $100.00 Mai Tai with the Appleton's 12 year and the St James Hors d'age. It has a warmer huskier flavor from the Coruba, which I now use in place of Myers. It is less expensive, and not as harsh as the Myers.

When you say 'the same amount of Mai Tai ingredients' do you mean the same amount as the traditional recipe that's in Grog Log, or are you talking about the way I'm mixing it now? I'll definitely try the other rums you mentioned when I do another serious trip to the liquor store.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2008-02-03 13:39 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 2:21 pm   Permalink

I meant the same amts of the ingredients called for in Grog Log (sorry for the confusion). I just recently discovered Coruba, and I just love it! Aaron.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 5:40 pm   Permalink

I WAS WRONG:

This is the best so far, a variation on the so-called 'First Adjusted Mai Tai Formula' form the Trader Vic's website.

2 oz Appleton
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Curacao
1/4 oz Rock Candy Syrup
just a little under 1 oz Lime Juice

So far best yet. I'll be sticking with this one. Ignore my above, pretentious post.

BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 8:31 pm   Permalink

I knew you'd come around.

Out of curiosity, which Appleton's did you use? I like the Extra for mai tais.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-17 20:31, BrickHorn wrote:
I knew you'd come around.

Out of curiosity, which Appleton's did you use? I like the Extra for mai tais.

It just says Appleton Estate on the bottle. I know there is another Appleton that comes in the tall fifth bottle. This bottle is shaped more like a decanter.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2008-03-17 21:26 ]

The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 06:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-17 21:25, donhonyc wrote:

It just says Appleton Estate on the bottle. I know there is another Appleton that comes in the tall fifth bottle. This bottle is shaped more like a decanter.

The only decent Appleton's are the ones that come in the decanter-like bottles. Those are the Appleton Estate rums. V/X is the weakest in the chain and is more of a utility rum, which is why you can get it by the handle as well as in 750 ml. Extra is the 12 yr. There is an oval label at the base of the neck that says "Extra" and the side label says "12 yr" at the top. The 21 yr has a blue label with silver accents. You'd know if you bought that. It costs $116 around here. Extra is $25.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-18 06:35, The Gnomon wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-03-17 21:25, donhonyc wrote:

The only decent Appleton's are the ones that come in the decanter-like bottles. Those are the Appleton Estate rums. V/X is the weakest in the chain and is more of a utility rum, which is why you can get it by the handle as well as in 750 ml. Extra is the 12 yr. There is an oval label at the base of the neck that says "Extra" and the side label says "12 yr" at the top. The 21 yr has a blue label with silver accents. You'd know if you bought that. It costs $116 around here. Extra is $25.

My sister-in-law gave me a bottle of the Appleton Estate "Reserve" a couple of months back - that was good stuff, but hard to find. I see the V/X and the Extra pretty often...anyone know where the Reserve fits into the Appleton hierarchy?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 4:15 pm   Permalink

+1 on the 2 oz. of Appleton Estate. I've screwed around with so many combos that this is the one for me. I also find that poor quality limes can really bury quality rums.

Almost mai tai season for me. Mint's coming back in the garden and soon the Mexican store down the street will have limes 12 for a dollar.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 4:32 pm   Permalink

The Appleton Reserve is an 8y.o.,sitting in between the V/X and Extra.The prices we pay here in AUS$ are $35-V/X,$48-Reserve and $54-Extra.All of these are easy to find.
There were only 300 bottles of the 21y.o. that came into the country last year,half of those going to bars.They went for AUS$175.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 6:27 pm   Permalink

Appleton's Extra is the best mai tai rum I've found. A good approximation is 1 oz. V/X and 1 oz. Myer's.

leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-18 18:27, BrickHorn wrote:
Appleton's Extra is the best mai tai rum I've found. A good approximation is 1 oz. V/X and 1 oz. Myer's.

I agree - Appletons/Myers is a solid rum combination with great flavor. That was just about the only combination I used for about a year. However, I have been experimenting lately with demerara/martinique combinations and getting some very interesting results compared to the jamaica/jamaica dark combination.

I almost posted this in the thread asking about rums to use with the TV mai tai mix, but then realized that if you use a mix you probably wouldn't know a good rum anyway. Honestly, if you are willing to seek good rums, what's so freakin' hard about making a batch of simple syrup/orgeat and squeezing some limes?

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation