FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The King Kamehameha Tiki House, Sedalia, MO (other)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The King Kamehameha Tiki House, Sedalia, MO (other)
Lucy Diamond
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-06 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-06 08:10, SilverLine wrote:
..... I think a midwest Tiki weekend there soon is almost a promise.

OMG..OMG...OMG....OMG! My head was about to burst when I began reading this post! This is fantastic! Just when I thought there were no tiki themed places left in the show-me state. You've all done a great service to us all by documenting this place. This place is about an hour away from us here in Columbia.

Please consider my wahine "Kekona" and I "Mr.LDT" at your service for planning any event you wish! This is great!

A very happy Mr.LDT
Columbia, MO

View Profile of Lucy Diamond Send a personal message to Lucy Diamond      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 8:52 pm   Permalink

Good to hear from you guys in the Midway city. It is exciting stuff to have a dream come true isn't it? We had a great visit and will be getting much more information to share. An event of some sort will come together in warmer weather. I'm sure we will work it out somehow. Just be patient and understand that we are building a relationship of trust with the owners and want to be sure we are prepared to do it right when we make solid plans and set a date for a tiki gathering. I tell you I just can't wait to get the Exotica music playing in that house and enjoy a cool drink in the shade as the Martin Denny filters out into the garden and across the lake.

Cheers! 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 1:37 pm   Permalink

Unbelievable. What a story. Can't wait to hear more about it and see more photos. The condition of the place looks excellent from the photos. The interior is clean, and no real troubling signs of deferred maintenance. Even the paint looks good (though too bad about the fluorescent rootball tiki). The fact that it sits out in the water connected by a bridge is also very cool. The picture from the loft area gives you a great sense of how big this beast is too.

It's hard to imagine it has survived as a hall for weddings, or receptions all these years and not as a full time establishment. On the other hand maybe that's exactly why it has survived in near mint condition. What's also amazing is in the time it took you guys to investigate this place, talk to the owner and get a tour, then post your report with photos here-that those damn poles haven't sold yet.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucy Diamond
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-07 1:44 pm   Permalink

8 ft.

I spoke with a co-worker today that I knew grew up in Sedalia. When I mentioned the place at first he didn't recognize the name. As I described it being on an island in a lake, he said "oh yes...I didn't know they called it that" he had actually been there for a party during his high school days. The party was thrown by Mr. Parkhurst's daughter in the late 70's or early 80's.

LDT

View Profile of Lucy Diamond Send a personal message to Lucy Diamond      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-07 13:37, alohacurrent wrote:
What's also amazing is in the time it took you guys to investigate this place, talk to the owner and get a tour, then post your report with photos here-that those damn poles haven't sold yet.

Man that made me laugh really hard!!!!!

Quote:

On 2008-02-07 13:44, Lucy Diamond wrote:
he had actually been there for a party during his high school days. The party was thrown by Mr. Parkhurst's daughter in the late 70's or early 80's.

LDT

SO, does he have any photos??

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucy Diamond
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-07 8:38 pm   Permalink

Sorry, no photos...when I asked what he remembered about the place his response was "I remember getting very drunk".

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 02:23 am   Permalink

What an awesome find! Thanks for doing the leg work, and bringing us back such an awesome trip report.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
just surfing

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:12 am   Permalink

I can't believe I happened upon your forum. We live about 2 miles from the Parkhurst Tiki House. Actually, our wedding reception was there 20 years ago this June, and we've been to many gatherings there. It is easy to find...about 6 miles West of Sedalia on Y Highway (which is 16th street) past the state fairgrounds and State Fair Community College. The current owner is Rob Parkhurst. If you enjoy Tiki's, you'll love the Parkhurst's Tiki House. I recommend a party that lasts into the night, as it is beautiful on the lake. There are several very good and reasonable caterers in the Sedalia area, including Rob's BBQ.

As you approach the site, you'll notice two large homes on the South, both built by Parkhurst for his children. One was to resemble a challet and the other, a castle. Neither home remains in the Parkhurst family, but the "castle" is fabulous. Again, Mr. Parkhurst traveled extensively and decorated the home from abroad. It comes with secret passageways and uniquely and authentically decorated rooms throughout. At one time, it was bed and breakfast and was a fun site for a party.

We hope you enjoy one of Sedalia's landmark icons!

[ This Message was edited by: just surfing 2008-02-20 00:14 ]

View Profile of just surfing Send a personal message to just surfing      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 7:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for "surfing in" to Tiki Central and leaving your message. By any chance do you have any photos from your reception which show the decor from 20 years ago? It would be nice to have them here for others to enjoy. We are going to try to schedule a small event there this summer if all goes well and we want to return in Spring and talk to Rob about having a work day /weekend to spruce it up. That kind of "work" would be fun. Got lots of ideas to toss around with him too. Thanks again for witing in.

8FT Tiki

just surfing

Posted: 2008-02-20 8:13 pm   Permalink

Sure. I'll pull out our photos, scan some and post them in a day or so. Happy to do so.

View Profile of just surfing Send a personal message to just surfing      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-20 20:13, just surfing wrote:
Sure. I'll pull out our photos, scan some and post them in a day or so. Happy to do so.

No this IS what Tiki Central is all about!!! What a great thing we have here and kind of exciting to see the transformation from a place not too many people knew about to having a full description with photos and now an original visitor with old photos willing to share!! AWESOME!!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucy Diamond
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

I'm glad to see we may have more info coming about this little jewel! Can't wait to see your pics....

LDT

squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 12:04 am   Permalink

I salute my fellow flatlanders 8ft and the Silverlines! Thanks for the awesome photos! I've been to Sedalia many times and had no bloody idea what amazing mysteries were there. Count me in for the midwest gathering!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-27 10:50 am   Permalink

Very cool!

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

When I sat down to catch up on old Tiki Central posts I never dreamed there would be anything like this! Great work 8ft. & Silverlines! Talk about hidden treasures - this is magical.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation