FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, New York, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, New York, NY (restaurant)
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-13 10:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-12 22:04, donhonyc wrote:
Just reading in the introduction to the novel version of '2001: A Space Odyssey' where Arthur C. Clarke mentions that his first meeting with Kubrick to discuss the project was in Trader Vic's at The Plaza. Makes sense to me!!!!

A fact mentioned by Jeff Berry in the Book of Tiki.

I know, it's not the most hidden piece of history, but I just thought I'd add to the official TV's New York 'Locating' thread.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 1:17 pm   Permalink

Here is another fairly rare postcard from the NYC Trader Vic's showing the exterior.

Looks like they used the same Barney West mask from the TV at the Benson Hotel in Portland.

Here is another ad, a little different than the one Trav posted.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 11:34 pm   Permalink

Wow, NEVER seen that one...I wonder WHO won it ...?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 2:23 pm   Permalink

I've got this cool little die-cut appetizer menu from Trader Vic's that looks like the exterior from the New York Savoy Hilton, although there is no location listed on the menu

Here is the menu

And the sketch of the exterior.

The rest of the menu.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 8:36 pm   Permalink

Cool photo of Ingemar Johannson's (the boxer) sister with a Tiki at the Trader Vic's in New York circa 1960 (from ebay).

DC

Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 11:41 am   Permalink

Found this matchbook from TV Savoy/Habana Hilton locations at a flea market in Spain. Quite unusual (finding it is Spain not the matchbook )

While perusing this thread I realiced in the coincidence between the TV ad and this old pitcher design.
Its a small world.

Quote:

On 2009-09-04 13:17, Dustycajun wrote:

Here is another ad, a little different than the one Trav posted.

DC

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 09:10 am   Permalink

Spotted this appetizer menu from TV at the Savoy in New York with some nice graphics.

And picked up this standard TV matchbook from the Savoy.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 9:06 pm   Permalink

Grabbed a few more images of the New York Trader Vics from the web.

An interesting ad for the opening of the Trader Vic's at the Plaza. The ad actually cites a Beachcomber - old Trader Vic would never have approved of that.

Here is an old photo of the a-frame facade at the Savoy.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 11:19 pm   Permalink

Check out this close up of the front of Trader Vic's, amazing details from a slide that was on ebay.

Looks like they started with shield and club design that was later replaced by the Barney West PNG masks.

DC

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 11:40 am   Permalink

Great shot!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 2:32 pm   Permalink

w@w! great stuff!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 8:52 pm   Permalink

Here is an old black and white photo of the entrance to the downstairs Trader Vic's at the Plaza.

Come to think of it, I actually went to that basement bar at the Plaza back in 1995 - it wern't no Trader Vic's.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 5:57 pm   Permalink

Saw this photo on ebay of John Kennedy junior and Aristotle Onassis leaving the New York Trader Vic's. Not a great photo, but the front facade of the building sure looks like it is protruding over the sidewalk more than the earlier photos I posted. Wonder if there was a remodel of the front?

Here is the story copy from the Chicago newspaper that the photo came from.

Looks like Onassis got himself a souvenir menu.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 10:07 pm   Permalink

Those gas light lamps are not there in the other pics either -maybe not the same place?
Nice observation about the menu...I can see it now: The Onassis Menu Collection!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 11:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-20 22:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Those gas light lamps are not there in the other pics either -maybe not the same place?

Right you are, the photo is the exterior of the Trader Vic's at the Plaza not the Savoy. Here is a photo I found of the Plaza entrance with the lamps.

The Kennedy/Onassis picture was taken in 1969 and Critiki indicates that Trader Vic's moved from the Savoy to the Plaza in 1965 after the Savoy was demolished.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation