FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts More TIKI SCI-FI vibe sheets! 3/20 Page Two! Great Reference Stuff to Share!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
More TIKI SCI-FI vibe sheets! 3/20 Page Two! Great Reference Stuff to Share!
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 3:36 pm   Permalink

i started this on my Art thread,but decided,in order to keep them all together.....
to post them on one thread! I'll be updating these from time to time as i scan them all...I'm gonna be posting the Tiki Sci-Fi ones first,then the Tiki ones,then the Hawaiiana ones after that.....There's hundreds of these pages that I've compiled over the years,and instead of hoarding them,i thought i'd share them with the Ohana! hope this inspires y'all!
Here's what i had written previously about these....the intro-so to speak...
Enjoy!
From 89 to around 2002 i worked in the surf industry
designing and directing tees,wovens,boardshorts,ads,knits,etc ad naseum...
so i started developing an image file....
well, this got to be quite messy so i
decided to start making "vibe sheets" where i'd take a subject and just paste
clipping on a page.....
i'd do it for Tikis/typefaces/comic book ads/retro logos....etc
After accumulating a 3 foot tall pile of them,I got bored and began to cross genres, and attempted to make them more collage-like and as separate art pieces in themselves....
These are from a series of about 30-40 i did cross-breeding
Tiki art and ephemera and Science Fiction pulps/comics/Astronomy books/old Space Travel stuff...
last year i posted some of my woven shirt
and boardshort prints for Hawaiian Island Creations....
one of them was a Tiki Sci-Fi theme....
that print was inspired by these sheets....
Well, i blab....so here's the first batch!

Please don't ask me where i got this stuff from!
I've been clipping stuff since1989 and getting source material from
old book stores/garage sales/thrift stores/friends/etc......
try to recall cutting out a picture almost 20 years ago...i dare ya!
Oh well....hope you enjoy these! I'll post more as i scan em!

Visit
www.kenruzic.com
or your head won't shrink and you'll
need your friends to help you carry it around!!

[ This Message was edited by: little lost tiki 2008-03-20 15:07 ]

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 04:08 am   Permalink

I now know what it looks like in LLT's brain

It reminds me of art like flounders and thorsten's, where there is an eclectic mix of images thrown together.

One of the things Im investigating playing with is decoupage images on vintage items. Like a vintage steel cooler covered in Hawaiiana images

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-05 05:38 am   Permalink

Wow...that is crazy...and I could imagine those images plastered on a vintage style cooler.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 06:41 am   Permalink

Yes,.......yeeeeessssss

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:20 am   Permalink

you, my friend, are a MAD GENIUS!!!! not sure if i should beg for giclee prints of these, or send em all to the FBI's criminal insanity profilers!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:40 am   Permalink

I tell you LLT has files on everything and everyone...he's better than the internet or the library of congress! Just smells a little worse...but once you get over that it's all good!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 1:52 pm   Permalink

Yo, LLT. Howzit, Brotha? Those pieces are pretty slick. Luv the way your mind works, Homes.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 3:31 pm   Permalink

Hewey!
so, you think you now know what the inside of my brain looks like?
You've just been given a thin slice of grey matter,there's so much more
to be revealed as i post more and more!
Flounder and Thor just blow me away because they CAN paint this stuff!
someday....if i practice every available moment...i may be able to create something
just a fraction of perfect as those two chaps do!!!
Decoupaging a vintage steel cooler covered in Hawaiiana images sounds killer!
Just be sure and coat the whole thing with a spray sealant or varnish as the
deco glue doesn't take a beatin too well! I'll stick with Spray mount and tape
for these! Less messy!
VampiressRN-thanks sweetie! I find the best part of these is that they merely have to be cut out and composed,instead of being drawn....I get some real good colorways and compositions this way!
Babs-you're just as nuts,so quit trying to divert the crowd...
BigToe-hard choice...giclees are way expensive,so i guess a manila folder sent to the FBI would be the more fiscal idea....I was thinking they'd be great backgrounds for ransom notes!
clysdalle-I got a BIG file on YOU,man! I'm just biding my time....and I do believe the Library of Congress has a mustier odor....
Freddie! I think that's why we get along so well,twisted minds seem to search out other twisted minds! Glad you dig these collages!
Man! I am so glad you kids like these! Dusting them off and bringing them out to share sure beats having em up on a shelf in a manila folder!
Here's some more for ya!

that's all til next time! Mahalos for visiting AND enjoying these!
Hope this inspires some great work outta y'all!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 3:43 pm   Permalink

WHOA!

Duuuude those collages rawk!
I love the composition and the theme, tiki and sci-fi geekiness!

Definitely gets my creative juices a-flowin!

Thanks fer sharin!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 5:08 pm   Permalink

Fo' Sure, Kinney.... It's been along time comin' for us to connect and see some raw fusion, Bro. In time it will happen. Peeps, beware of the MaDneSS~~ That very first collage is just smokin'>>> I really dig the Shrunken Head part in the upper right. Maholla!!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 12:09 am   Permalink

Hey Ken- Thanks for all of the inspiration here! I thought I had a bunch of clippings and inspirational stuff, but these few scans here show that you must have a ton! When I was 6 or 7, I was cutting out political cartoons of Nixon and movie ads from the movie section of the newspaper - I wish I had held onto that stuff now for inspiration... It looks like I can just visit a Ken Ruzic thread and that's just as well.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 4:02 pm   Permalink

Ravers! Thank you! Glad my little misfits can give the Ohana a spark of creative inspiration!
FreddieBallz! where you been man? I see you've been kicking out the wee carvings again! Stoked! and that poor bastard about to get eaten by the Cannibal! Classic! Tried to call ya a few days back! Gimme a holler clown!
Sam-you have full access to ANY of my files Sir! If they can coax a few hundred more PERFECT paintings out of your brush-slingin mind,then i will feel like I've helped a true Master! My files are the result of just saving stuff in marked folders and cutting and spray-mounting them to sheets every once in a while! Rad that you somehow "knew" a bit about your calling and started at such an early age! It's never too late to start a new reference library up! and thank YOU for all of YOUR inspiration!
Could only scan in four today,but here they are! Enjoy!

Hai Karate! in Outer Space!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

Ken, this stuff is awesome... i could totally run curtains with these collages printed on em in my house! would make some sweet fabric!

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 5:00 pm   Permalink

Hai!

Love the karate collage the best, cracks me up!

I'm totally lovin this thread, can't wait to see more!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-09 12:09 am   Permalink

Hey these are great. Thanks for posting.

Some of them would look great with film titles on....

I'm sure Trader Jim has a copy of this film somewhere!

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation