advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New To Tiki Carving
New To Tiki Carving
Boytiki

Posted: 2008-02-10 3:22 pm   Permalink

Hi, I've always been interested and love the art of tikis, but I've recently realized that I want to create them! Ok, Questions!
1. What's The Best wood for Carving That's easily found?
2. What Stain Is Best?
3 What Tools Are Best For Tiki-Making?
Any of these things would be great to know, or any other tips! Thanx!

View Profile of Boytiki Send a personal message to Boytiki  Email Boytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-10 4:14 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard. The bug will get you

Answers.
Check here
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21241&forum=7&hilite=wood for carving

or

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11708&forum=7&hilite=wood for carving

I'm particullarly fond of this type of finish, but depending on where you are going to put your tiki should give you direction on what you finish it with.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=15632&forum=7&start=2070&hilite=gman

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10451&forum=7&hilite=tools carvers use

Read all of Benzart's and Basement Kahuna's old threads

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boytiki

Posted: 2008-02-11 1:47 pm   Permalink

thx!

View Profile of Boytiki Send a personal message to Boytiki  Email Boytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hammock Bound

Posted: 2008-02-13 7:28 pm   Permalink

Can anyone offer some advice on where to track down wood for doing larger tiki carvings (3-8 ft tall for example). Are there companies that ship? Any help is appreciated. By the way I live in Colorado.
Thanks

View Profile of Hammock Bound Send a personal message to Hammock Bound      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 8:24 pm   Permalink

Love the name Hammock. Is there a sawmill in your neck of the woods?
They might take the time to sell you a log or two, that's how I get my
big pieces of basswood.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hammock Bound

Posted: 2008-02-13 10:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the idea. I'll start the research tomorrow. What's your favorite wood to work with?

View Profile of Hammock Bound Send a personal message to Hammock Bound      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 05:31 am   Permalink

I like basswood cuz I'm lazy and it's like carving cheese. Oh, and
there's a lot of it up here.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 06:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-13 19:28, Hammock Bound wrote:
Can anyone offer some advice on where to track down wood for doing larger tiki carvings (3-8 ft tall for example). Are there companies that ship? Any help is appreciated. By the way I live in Colorado.
Thanks

I got my 4 footer from a friend, who's friends with a guy who owns a saw mill Apparently I'm welcome to more free wood, as long as I give the saw mill a good plug when I publicly display my work! I haven't been back for more, the big guy is hardwood and hasn't been touched for a while Im guessing shipping would be prohibitively pricey, given the size/weight. Many people on here get their logs through tree lopping companies, call around and see what you get - worst case scenario they say no!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-14 11:59 am   Permalink

Colorado? arn't there a lot of trees in colorado? Search the woods for fallen lumber (that's not decomposing), or listen for the wonderful sounds of chainsaws...that's always the best way to find cheap wood.

Like hewey said too - find a saw mill. I'm sure you got a few up in colorado.

good luck!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boytiki

Posted: 2008-02-19 4:49 pm   Permalink

What about wood in Kentucky?

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation