Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food New England Chinese Bar Mai Tai
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New England Chinese Bar Mai Tai
redbeardmcg

Posted: 2008-02-11 4:27 pm   Permalink

I am sure there have been tons of posts about the ever popular Mai Tai, and I have read tons of Mai Tai recipes (trader vics, etc...) but I have never been able to reproduce the amazingly delicious Mai Tai that any Chinese restaurant in suburban Massachusetts makes. When I make a mai tai it always ends up looking like lemonade. The Mai Tai at my favorite place near home (jade east) is WAY darker and tastes so much better.

Every time I ask how they make it I get a similar answer (haha, you take glass add rum and put in lot of ice).

My question... Is the Mai Tai that I have grown to love different here in Boston than the rest of the country? I have never been able to reproduce it and I have tried a few different recipes with no success.

Anybody live near Boston and know what I am talking about?

Thanks!!

View Profile of redbeardmcg Send a personal message to redbeardmcg  Goto the website of redbeardmcg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 4:45 pm   Permalink

Jade East in Tewksbury?

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redbeardmcg

Posted: 2008-02-11 4:52 pm   Permalink

Yup!

View Profile of redbeardmcg Send a personal message to redbeardmcg  Goto the website of redbeardmcg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 5:03 pm   Permalink

I don't think I agree that they're all good. This seems about as good a place as any to say this: Sully and I went to the Empire Garden in Boston. The site is impressive; it's an old movie theater. We got the two worst drinks you could imagine. I'd classify mine as the worst drink I've ever had anywhere. I was afraid to drink it so I didn't. It tasted like Janitor in a Drum. Sully drank his and was sick all night (we didn't eat there).

Anyway, the best Mai Tai in NE is made by Judy Chin at Ken Chin's in Worcester. (I'm going on record here.)

Why not just come right out and ask how they make it at Jade East?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-11 16:45, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Jade East in Tewksbury?

Just drove by there on the way home maybe I should try the Mai Tai and see if it passes the non-drinker test?

Welcome to TC, to another local person redbeardmcg!

Beth

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 7:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-11 17:03, pappythesailor wrote:
Anyway, the best Mai Tai in NE is made by Judy Chin at Ken Chin's in Worcester. (I'm going on record here.)

This I gotta try. PLEASE tell me this place is going to be part of the NETT (or at least NETT Jr.)?

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2008-02-11 19:23 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 06:11 am   Permalink

Damn, that's 2 new places I have to try. Well, at least the Jade East is close to home...

Jay, we are going to have to plan a meeting at Ken Chin's, just to test you and keep you honest.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-12 07:22 am   Permalink

Not sure of all the ingredients. Never cared to really pursue it, but the owner of a Chinese restaurant I used to frequent in Bethesda told me that the key ingredient in his Mai Tais was Coca-Cola syrup.

I think if you want to match the Chinese restaurant Mai Tai flavor, you'll have to get yourself some Coca-Cola syrup before you start your experiments.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-11 19:22, leisure master wrote:
PLEASE tell me this place is going to be part of the NETT (or at least NETT Jr.)?

Sorry LM, not on either. We gotta do something to get you up here for NETT3 right? heh heh (next time you get up here give a heads up & we'll take you out)

Actually I think NETT3 is gonna more focused down your way, but I have an idea for another deal next year, starting in central mass, and heading west...out to the Tiki Hotel in Lake George.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
redbeardmcg

Posted: 2008-02-12 1:54 pm   Permalink

Hmm, the coca cola syrup thing is interesting. BTW what is NETT? Am I correct in guessing it is New England Tiki Tour?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 2:10 pm   Permalink

Am I missing something here, or is it too obvious for the aficionados so they don't chime in... I cannot speak for those New England establishments, but the reason MY homemade Mai Tais look dark, and not like lemonade, is because I put PLENTY of dark Myer's Rum in them. Only bleach could lighten mine up!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 2:18 pm   Permalink

Myers'?? Oh, that is SO 1986. Nobody puts it in a Mai Tai anymore.
Just kidding. Yeah, that would be the obvious answer but there's nothing obvious about these Chinese Mai Tais. They're inscrutable. Much like the Chinese themselves...

Yeah. NETT is the Northeast Tiki Tour.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 2:23 pm   Permalink

I've seen ingredients coming out of bottles with Asian markings on them here in New England as well.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 2:45 pm   Permalink

Hmm...I seeee...seeclet inglidient

Could it be...-a jiao zh (ass hide glue pellets) ? ...or -bi hu ( house lizard) ?

... I do believe we can rule out -can sha (silkworm droppings) or -qiu shi (processed urine deposit) for they would make it lean more towards lemonade again, but

-tu bie chong (wingless cockroach), -wang yue sha (hare's droppings), and -wu ling zhi (flying squirrel's droppings) could very well be effective darkening agents.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 05:44 am   Permalink

I think its got something to do with the "secret sauce".

Pappy & I noticed at the Mon Kou, that pretty much EVERY cocktail got at least a partial ladle-full of this strange yellow juice, kept in a wine bucket. It definately ISNT sour mix, nor is it lemon juice....

one of the mysteries of New England tiki. And while not a traditional Mai Tai....they sure are gooooood!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation