[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Castaway Kirsten Cargo Craft, Cape Horn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Castaway Kirsten Cargo Craft, Cape Horn
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 10:35 pm   Permalink

I think this counts as one of the stranger thread on TC, from shipwrecks to pipes. I spotted these Marquesan pipes when I was image searching...

Its a pity the British Pipesmokers' Council doesn't do
Pipe Smoker of the Year anymore, we could have campaigned to get Sven the honour.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-16 08:00 am   Permalink

I appreciate that. But I have to admit that, as it turned out, I am not really a pipe smoker. When I discovered the Kirsten pipe, I really dug the whole "Hamburg immigrant turned aeronautics engineer inventing a pipe" history, and the beauty of the object, so I thought smoking a Kirsten while sipping some rum could become a hobby. But, having never smoked all my life, I just couldn't get into the habit. Here is my only live attempt to incorporate the pipe into my public "author" persona, but I dropped the gimmick shortly after that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQxEjcvzPA&feature=related

I take the first puff in mid-clip, and then valiantly try to keep it glowing, but I am sure the seasoned pipe smoker can see that I am a poser.

A Benzart-carved TIKI pipe bowl for my Kirsten though would increase its mana to such a degree that I would certainly smoke it on special occasions!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-16 08:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 11:14 am   Permalink

Aloha Benzart and Torch Guy, how is the Kirsten pipe Tiki bowl project coming along?
In hopes it is, Sven

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-07-21 2:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

In 1963, he even published an autobiography, "Wanderer", detailing his ocean adventures as well as his regret for cooperating with the House Un-American Activities Commission during the McCarthy era."

Hayden's "Wanderer" is an outstanding read (as is his novel), but his HUAC association is a minor sidetrack. It's actually an account of his pre-film sailing life and an "up-yours" escape with his children (whose Mom he didn't bother to brief about the trip), and a reflection on his disappointments with women and Hollywood. It's a glimpse into the life & mindset of an unapologetic & unrestrained male, and I can't recommend it highly enough: it's one of my all-time favorite books.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation