FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:09 pm   Permalink

It's time for a round of "I wonder if..."

Just today, a friend of ours stumbled on this wonderful abstract nearly 7ft tall Tiki, just about 20 minutes directly east of where the mighty Leilani once stood in Brookfield...
Unfortunately there wasn't any other information on it.

Needless to say, a deal was struck, and now he's standing in our garage.

It's far from the most "professional" job in the world, so it's entirely possible this was someone's "practice Tiki" they made for their home. From the linear, very minimal MCM-abstract design of it, I suspect it's older (new hobbyist Tikis seem to tend more towards the grinning pineapple-head style), but there's pretty light wear so he's spent his life indoors. It's lightweight and the wood kind of sheds and is splinter-y, so I think it's probably pine or was some kind of fir tree.

So now I wonder IF maybe, just maybe... he started his life at the Leilani?

Another distinct (and perhaps more likely) possibility is the also-lost Mai Khi in West Allis which was also pretty close from where this guy turned up (and that building still stands at 5630 W Lincoln, and was still a bar - albeit a crappy one - up until a couple years ago)

A mystery, regardless, as I've yet to see any photos of the inside of either the Leilani or the Mai Khi when it was still a Tiki bar (or Judges Beyond the Reef... or the Bali Hai, both also in Brookfield many moons ago)

But we certainly couldn't leave him at the price they were asking ... just look at that face!

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 5:50 pm   Permalink

With the bark on it I'd say homebrew.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:11 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Maui Chimes 2016-08-26 05:43 ]

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:17 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Maui Chimes 2016-08-26 05:42 ]

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:35 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Maui Chimes 2016-08-26 05:41 ]

Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Maui Chimes 2016-08-25 22:43 ]

Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 07:34 am   Permalink

Happy Buddah -

I suspect you're right. And, moving it around more, it's definitely palm. Those are clearly not native to Wisconsin (ahem), so there's some kind of fun story hiding there.

Should say, too, the photos don't really do it much good... it's much more pleasant to look at in person! And in the dark of our basement bar, underlit, it'll look fantastic (along with the....uhh...7 other 6ft+ tall Tikis currently in our garage waiting for their time to shine.)

Either way, for $40, we couldn't leave 'im there.

Not saying at all it's from the Leilani (and the Mai Khi would be more probable anyway... I've read this whole thread a several times over the years and am fascinated with the place, the lava carvings, etc) just "wondering if..." like I mentioned. It's fun to think maybe it lived in a back corner by the bathroom there or something, watching Vic Damone from the shadows.

OK... enough of my derailing this thread! Now back to daydreaming about what the inside of this place must have been like...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation