FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-17 16:56, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-04-17 16:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
We want to see PHOTOS of this place in its heyday!

Well you the damned Tiki historian, so where are the photos?

DC

Booohooo....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-17 17:04, bigbrotiki wrote:

Booohooo....

Bigbro,

How about a menu cover to cheer you up?

(Courtesy of Mimi)

Or an ashtray??

Don't worry, somebody will find some pictures some day.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 5:55 pm   Permalink

Sniff...the ashtray helps, thank you.

It's just that it is a sore spot of mine....

Back around '95 or '96, I found that very cool matchbook cover glued into the wallpaper in the men's room of Neptune's Net in Seal Beach (the men's room walls were all wallpapered with matchbooks, the ladies room had all buttons glued on the walls!)

It was like way down by the sink, but being a devoted urban archeologist I crouched down and wrote down the phone number of the place. One day I called the number, and it was still operational. I asked the guy on the other side if they still had any Tiki statues around, and he said no. But then he thought and said that he must have boxes of slides somewhere showing the Tikis being carved by the artist (didn't know he was German!) on the premises. Problem was, at the time there was no internet, no Tiki Central, and I just could not see a chance to make it to Wisconsin or sent someone on a mission. I just did not follow up on it. I couldn't do EVERYTHING! The slides were probably tossed with the tearing down of the place.

That, and that I never contacted George Nakashima are the great regrets of my Tiki life.

Oh, just noticed I am repeating myself from the previous page. Well, nobody reads that stuff anyway...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-17 17:59 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 6:56 pm   Permalink

The Leilani Village And the Cadillac Sands in Mi. Have allot of similarities. Here's Dusty's.

And here's my card of the Cadillac Sands (home of the Aku Aku)

Enough to make me curious

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Enough to make me curious

Coincidence???

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:01 pm   Permalink

Oooh... good call. Right down the the position of the cars in the rendering. Eerie, even.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:04 pm   Permalink

Maybe this was an "off the rack" or standard motel design in the upper mid-west with the pool and restaurant in the rear with skylights above the pool.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-17 19:04, uncle trav wrote:
Maybe this was an "off the rack" or standard motel design in the upper mid-west with the pool and restaurant in the rear with skylights above the pool.

No Way Dude. Gotta be the same architectural firm. Need some investigation here (and some photos for Sven).

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:23 pm   Permalink

Yeah, now we're thinking! Very cool! Lake Surfer, what happened to your further research?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-04-18 06:49 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:29 pm   Permalink

I've got a brother in law who lives up that way, I'll make a call.

Lake Surfer - you started this, where are you?

Sven - I CAN'T believe that you, of all people, used to get phone numbers off the men's bathrooms walls!!!!

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-04-17 19:31 ]

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:36 pm   Permalink

I live about three hours south of the Sand's and have been trying to get up that way to do some hunting for some information on the Aku Aku but haven't been able to make the trip happen yet. Anything on the Wisconsin end may help tie some things together also. I have made some requests for information to the resort about the Aku Aku but have had no reply. Imagine that.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 6:40 pm   Permalink

Nice updates... and I understand your frustration, Sven.

Still following the trail... but those that owned the paradises of the past here are long gone and left little to go by.

I'll try to get out to Brookfield City Hall... I know Pete got the newspaper clippings from the library.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-19 11:19 am   Permalink

Great. Try to find out the architect, and if he's still alive, or has any descendants. Does city hall keep old building permits? Good digging, S.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 08:31 am   Permalink

Any new finds?

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 08:41 am   Permalink

same architects...different building.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation