FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Leilani... Brookfield, WI
Bail Tekey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-28 4:53 pm   Permalink

I am please to say that the Wisconsin Brookfield Leilani TIKI is alive and well. With that said it is also in very good hands. The current owners (collectors of photography) and really not "TIKI" collectors by their own admission do understand historical preservation and the importance of such objects to individuals like you and me. They are not willing to sell this 300lb+ TIKI anytime soon. However, i am keeping my fingers crossed that someday they will call and consider my offer.
The owners shared with me that they bought this tiki from a local yard sale years back, from an elderly man whose house was also for sale. The man stated that the realtor told him the TIKI must be removed from the front of his home or else she would not help him sell the house in fear that the tiki would scare any potential buyers. So he decided to sell the TIKI.

Please enjoy the photos!

Aloha!

Menu cover for reference:

More Tiki Images:

[ This Message was edited by: Bail Tekey 2010-06-28 16:55 ]

View Profile of Bail Tekey Send a personal message to Bail Tekey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 5:00 pm   Permalink

Bail Tekey,

WOW, that is awesome, thanks for posting the photos. Always great to see and old Tiki from a long gone establishment still alive and kicking.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

YAY!! I hope the current trend of awesome Tiki's coming out of the shadows continues.

Great post Bail Tekey!

Thanks

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 9:16 pm   Permalink

Very cool! I always wondered if that was a real carving, or just an illustration.
That's a familiar face, huh?

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 11:27 pm   Permalink

Excellent! I never would have made that connection in a million years, the colors were just too blinding. But there it is!

And now I seem to remember that crazy grin and snub nose from some other image....???

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-17 3:23 pm   Permalink

On Sunday while out and about, I thought I'd check out an anonymous bit of rumor that some carvings from the Brookfield, WI. Leilani could be found located south of Waukesha, WI.

I did pass them up several times, but finally spotted them. Not the Hawaiian style shown being carved in the newspaper article, but the postcard shows at least one smaller carving. These are Moais about 5 or 6 feet tall, black(lava?) on stone or cement bases. Not sure of the Leilani credentials, but definitely not indigenous to the area - farmland USA. I'm not sure if this is a residential or commercial building, though it is among other residential properties.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 04:34 am   Permalink

Great find. Those have to have a Lelani connection. Here is a quote from the newspaper article about the sculptor "The lightweight rock he is using actually is lava. Its porosity makes it easy to work. Saws, axes and knives replace the traditional hammer and chisel. Kroll expects to work a large pile of the stones into figures in about two weeks." You may be able to find some answers by asking the building owners or some folks in the area that may remember when and why these came to be in front of the buildings. Any way we can get some closeups as well? Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your find.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-11-18 04:37 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 09:11 am   Permalink

Would it be possible to ask the owners of the building about their history?
Unfortunately we have not heard back from the TC member who had found the wife of the sculptor, and was trying to get material from her. Apparently she did not understand out interest.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-19 08:12 am   Permalink

I wish I'd have found out about these earlier. Due to health problems and winter bearing down on us, I would have had more time to flesh this out. It is my intention to find out more info, and whatever that information turns out to be...I'll post it here first thing.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creature from the Slack Lagoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-04 11:41 am   Permalink

Wow! What a great find!

View Profile of Creature from the Slack Lagoon Send a personal message to Creature from the Slack Lagoon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bail Tekey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-19 1:27 pm   Permalink

Wanted to share a recently found architectural rendering. I believe its watercolor and pencil on crescent illustraion board, Dated 1961.

View Profile of Bail Tekey Send a personal message to Bail Tekey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 1:56 pm   Permalink

Wow, very cool!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 2:47 pm   Permalink

This is odd, it looks like someone copied the professionally done rendering somewhat less skilled:

...and added a row of Motel rooms on the left, in place of the heli-pad

Bail Tekey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-19 3:10 pm   Permalink

I did noticed that the intitals A. L. W. stand for the Architect and designer Alen Wiederman. The detail up close is very good. Could have this been a different design option that was shown to the client? Another interesting difference is the signage is quite different. Who is creditied with doing the other renderings? Maybe a different draftsman from the firm? I also wanted to add that this rendering is fairly big the atual size is approx. 29" long x 10.5"H.

[ This Message was edited by: Bail Tekey 2011-02-19 15:15 ]

Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-19 5:50 pm   Permalink

Big Bro Tiki,

I find it funny that you are calling the actual designer/architect "less skilled" then the other so-called "professional" rendering. What information do you have that backs that the other rendering with a helicopter pad is more professional? Are you basing this on artistic ability? Being an Engineer/Architect myself the type of image that was posted earlier today seems more in line with what is actually presented to a client in a design development type of application.

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation