FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts custom vinyl painted marquesas figure - page 3
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
custom vinyl painted marquesas figure - page 3
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 06:11 am   Permalink

After my great trip to the US last year [Tiki Mag artshow] and getting to hang out with a lot of amazing talent, I decided to try my hand at painting. Most of my print work is a combination of ink work and digital colour, so getting out the acrylics was pretty daunting.

Started off safe with only 10x8 inch canvasses.

Here, for your entertainment pleasure, are some of my first pieces.

Titled - "Heyerdahl was almost right" - this is an idea that the polynesians did travel the pacific but not using rafts, but huge floating puffer fish, with sails.

Titled - "Invaders" - this is a continuation of some ideas I've had for a invasion from space of war of the worlds style tiki aliens...
I'd like to put the invaders into classic english countryside scenes.

Titled - "Trophy Room" - here I'm featuring a headhunter mask [papua new guinea style] that has been head hunted and made into a trophy? Note the bullet hole in centre of the mask.

Titled - "Welcome to the Sugar Cane" - A gift to the new tiki bar in London, created by Cheekytiki.

I'm working on few more now, planning on making a series of the trophy room idea.

If anyone is interested in one [except the trophy and sugar cane] then please pm me with an offer. I'm getting a bunch of my art pieces together and planning an ebay store. These painting will appear on there, I'll post on marketplace when I have more details.

I'd love to hear any thoughts [Trader Jim - but not everything that goes on inside that pith helmet of yours!!] and feedback. Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiracer 2009-02-15 14:06 ]

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:51 am   Permalink

"Heyerdahl was almost right" -Very Cool!
And the Invaders series should turn out way cool!
Stoked to see you have a go with the brush!
Keep em pumping!
They're way cool!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:56 am   Permalink

very very nice.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-21 08:01 am   Permalink

These are great - Tikiracer!!! Nice job with the paints!!!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-21 6:05 pm   Permalink

Great Blow fish
Love the gold frame

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 2:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great words.

Been doing a lot more sketches on the blow/puffer fish theme, so look out for more.

Sold the blowfish painting today. Thanks to the buyer.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 10:58 pm   Permalink

Hey tikiracer- That War of the Worlds type piece is cool! I've been wanting to do something like that.... maybe a giant killer shrew threatening the neighborhood McDonald's or something.... Very cool stuff you are doing....

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 05:53 am   Permalink

cool - i like the sugar cane tang one.

nice frames too.

wheres the next one?

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-08 06:47 am   Permalink

The pufferfish and the invader paintings have a really nice style. Cool stuff.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 1:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all for the good words.

Here's a new canvass on the way

Cocktail Still Life - This WILL be getting one of the OTT gold frames shown about. Got more to do here, shadows, textures and some colour balancing. Thinking of adding a crackle varnish finish?

Studies-
Been reading and buying up some great artist books, I want my paint style to develop into a contemporary feel but still fit with any tiki collection.

This is an unfinished study of my new resin pendent - out soon

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the blowfish themed painting. I've been doing more sketches to move this series on. Here's a couple of studies.

You should be able to make out the blowfish penciled in the background.

Here's a blowfish in more detail.

Planning a large blowfish piece for the London Luau Artshow. Thanks for viewing.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

I really like the study of the pendant.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 5:05 pm   Permalink

Very nice, Tikiracer! Especially diggin' those blowfish

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 5:19 pm   Permalink

Good stuff man, keep it coming. Look forward to more of the headhunter pieces.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 09:32 am   Permalink

Got a special headhunter piece on the way.

I'm very lucky to live very close to the Pitt Rivers Museum, so went there in the week and got to see some masks for real.

Thanks for the cool words.

Devil Reef Bar Blog

tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 12:36 am   Permalink

Ok so I've kicked off a new painting, in the blowfish theme.

Want this to have a real feeling of scale. I'm enjoying using the slightly larger canvas.

Wasn't too happy with the sky at first, went back to my reference and ...

Much better.

Then rough in the blowfish. Next will be roughing in the ship to get the balance between them right.

Thanks for swinging by.

Devil Reef Bar Blog

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation