[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts 1963 Duncan Tiki mold in action
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
1963 Duncan Tiki mold in action
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 10:51 am   Permalink

Some may consider this a form of sacrilege, but I'm using a mold I recently bought at an estate sale to cast a couple-dozen mugs. I knew almost nothing about doing this when I started but am learning a LOT as I go along. I'm able to get two mugs per 24-hour period cast easily. 30 minutes of slip in the mold seems to give me the proper wall thickness. I'll be cleaning these up before firing of course, and I have a food-safe glaze selected already. These won't be award winning mugs by any stretch, but they're fun to do and I may get the itch to design and mold my own mugs down the road. Any tips and tricks others have learned along this path would be VERY welcome!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 11:10 am   Permalink

and I thought they just made yoyos. They look pretty good to me. Nice work.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-20 10:51, SilverLine wrote:
Some may consider this a form of sacrilege, but I'm using a mold I recently bought at an estate sale to cast a couple-dozen mugs.

Using a mug mold to make mugs? Unspeakable!
Seriously, I'm not too sure what you meant there...do you mean to say its collectible value might outweigh the functionality? I would kill for some sort of vintage mug mold, and you better believe I'd be pumping out my own army in double-time and building little ahu all over my house! I've seen 3 or 4 other TCers using vintage Duncan molds they've scored with some very nice results. Looking forward to the final product!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 11:21 am   Permalink

I don't know what the hard-core "muggers" (can I say that) are going to think but I think these are great.

Keep us updated in how they turn out, I might want to get my hands on one.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 11:52 am   Permalink

as devo would say " it's time to go beyond the normal thing, and do the super thing!!

which basically means...kick it up a notch after you do the mugs and make some salt and pepper shakers, some ceramic lamp bases and whatever the hell else you can with it...

most folks are content to just make mugs and leave it at that...it gets real stale, real quick. use your imagination to squeeze the maximum yield out of that mold and continue your good work....

those mugs look nice....i hope you make some with a flat glaze like munktiki.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-20 11:52, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

kick it up a notch after you do the mugs and make some salt and pepper shakers, some ceramic lamp bases and whatever the hell else you can with it...

Hmmm . . and I need a couple lamps. Good thinking!

To infinity .. and BEYOND!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:24 pm   Permalink

Those look great!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-20 11:10, pappythesailor wrote:
and I thought they just made yoyos. They look pretty good to me. Nice work.

good eye !

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 08:34 am   Permalink

The Moai army is nearly ready for battle in the fiery kiln! Here are 18 cleaned and ready to go after Jennifer makes the final Quality-Control check. The other six have yet to be cleaned up, but that will happen today and tomorrow. First firing to commence later this week. Hopefully the army suffers few losses in battle.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 09:47 am   Permalink

That is a REALLY nice looking mold! Go easy on it - let it dry out every few days and maybe don't pull two-a-day, or it'll start getting crumbly.

Hey, and I'd suggest going crazy with glazes. I got a big gallon bottle of clear glaze for the inside (pour it in, count to 10, pour it back out) and painted the outsides wild colors and textures. You can get Duncan colors in little 4-oz bottles.

There are those flat, stone-colored glazes that have hardly been experimented with around TC, go to it brah!

Please - just don't glaze 'em all honey brown!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-24 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 08:34, SilverLine wrote:
The Moai army is nearly ready for battle in the fiery kiln!

yeah, you don't want to be around moai once they get fired up! (ugh...sorry).

Great work and good luck - those mugs look like they are going to be winners.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2008-02-24 09:50 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-25 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

Hey, and I'd suggest going crazy with glazes. I got a big gallon bottle of clear glaze for the inside (pour it in, count to 10, pour it back out) and painted the outsides wild colors and textures. You can get Duncan colors in little 4-oz bottles.

There are those flat, stone-colored glazes that have hardly been experimented with around TC, go to it brah!

Please - just don't glaze 'em all honey brown!

I agree, have some fun with the colors. It's a nice simple design so some fun with the colors will would really add some flair to them.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 3:38 pm   Permalink

Along the mold-preservation line . . I'm thinking of trying to cast a master to make more molds from. It would need to be a sand-able material, maybe some kind of resin, so I could work out the imperfections that have developed over time. Does anybody know what would work well for this without (maybe) destroying THIS mold?

poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 08:50 am   Permalink

SilverLine,

How sweet. I don't know what kind of slip you're using, but if it's a high fire variety there are some exciting reactives that would do well on the simple Moai design. What a cool opportunity for you.

One way to get a master out of the original is to mold soap the inside real well and pour molding plaster in it as if you were pouring slip. Let the plaster set and remove. You can do all the repair, and detail work in the plaster master and pour a new mold from it.

The original mold would require a good cleaning to remove the mold soap before it will work for slip again. There are other ways to go about it, so don't think this is the only option.

I picked up a mold at Goodwill, came home and poured pieces from it. It wasn't Tiki oriented but it was fun to do. Mold cost $2, reward, priceless.

Keep us posted.

[ This Message was edited by: poptiki 2008-03-02 08:52 ]

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-07 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-02 08:50, poptiki wrote:
One way to get a master out of the original is to mold soap the inside real well and pour molding plaster in it as if you were pouring slip. Let the plaster set and remove. You can do all the repair, and detail work in the plaster master and pour a new mold from it.

Thanks for the tip Poptiki. I think this is what I'm going to end up doing.

Update time: The army has returned from the kiln without a single casualty! These little dudes are TOUGH!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation