[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts 1963 Duncan Tiki mold in action
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
1963 Duncan Tiki mold in action
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-06 12:15 pm   Permalink

yowch!

Sorry about the glaze bubbles - now you can understand why I hate glazing! What kind of "hold time" are you allowing while firing? And are you using cones in the kiln? I'm thinking that you may be firing too hot? I get bubbles if I fire too hot or apply the glaze too thick. If this is a painful subject feel free to ignore this post - I don't want to add salt to your wounds! I am always tortured when I open the kiln, witness a disaster, silently cry for a bit, spend a few hours trying to figure out what went wrong, come up with a solution, get over my pain and loss, then have to revisit the whole dang thing when my Dad stops by and wants to know why the glaze failed!

Love the glaze on the far left! Mahalo for sharing -

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 12:43 pm   Permalink

You could always pass them off as pubescent teen Moai...? I don't think they look bad at all, especially being a first working with molds. That mold is really close to the Danny Balsz Tikis moai....only small difference with earlobe and nose tip.Cool stuff.....

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 3:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 12:15, VanTiki wrote:

What kind of "hold time" are you allowing while firing? And are you using cones in the kiln? I'm thinking that you may be firing too hot?

I believe she was putting them on low overnight then cranking them up by late morning. Cones in the kiln and the switch. The second glaze firing was at cone 05 (the first was cone 06). The overall finish was far better at one level hotter than Duncan specified (Duncan glazes).

Quote:

I get bubbles if I fire too hot or apply the glaze too thick.

That's a possibility. I had three coats on the green guys and four on the other colors. The green came out better overall than the others.
Quote:

Love the glaze on the far left!

Thankfully that was what I used on the majority of them. Better, but not great.

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 12:43, Tom Slick wrote:
You could always pass them off as pubescent teen Moai...?

That's what I was thinking! Easter Island ads for Clearasil!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 09:09 am   Permalink

Despite them not turning out perfect, it shows that the color choices are great.

Hope you figure out what to do to fix this.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 12:01 pm   Permalink

Hey Silverline,

Hope you decide to stick with it. I posted this basic glaze troubleshooting link on another thread. I hope it helps.

http://www.ceramicartspace.com/firing&glazes.php

Best,

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-11 5:22 pm   Permalink

Here's an application for your mold I never would have thought of! They used the image from page one of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqTZvMakwUo

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation