FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Cammo's Corner - Volcanoes of the World
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Cammo's Corner - Volcanoes of the World
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 12:23 pm   Permalink

"dig it."

Hey thanx everybody, I dig this too. It came out kind of Beatnik.

Staining done, some of this had to be veeeery carefully painted on with an almost dry 00 brush.

Still have to gloss coat it, Buzzy says to wait a few days first...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 1:20 pm   Permalink

spot on cammo! that mask should definitely hang on public display. should be in a bar or restaurant where everyone can see. great job.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:18 pm   Permalink

Excellent job Cammo, fer a beginner anyway! Really I loved this guy from the beginning, I really respect the time you put into your pieces. Very well done!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:20 pm   Permalink

The mask is awesome.I agree it should go on display somewhere. Excellent work!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-26 5:23 pm   Permalink

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 11:14 am   Permalink

I’ll post pictures of the finished Mystery Mask later – it has 4 coats of wet-sanded poly covering the dark areas now.

First, here is what I’ve been doing the last couple of weeks – making the Volcanoes-of-the-World Series.

The whole idea is to make a series of mugs based on famous or bizarre volcanoes found in the Pacific. They’ll all have a scene from the island on the front and sides, and the name, longitude and latitude on the back. I’m going for an organic look, with a fluted top sliced at a 45 degree angle. They look REALLY different, and the fluted tops mean you can tuck a straw in there real nice....

The first is from Pagan Island, which is a real island! Pagan was evacuated after its 1981 eruption, so it’s currently unoccupied.

It’s also the name of a cheesy-good 1961 movie starring Nani Maka and about 30 girls hand-picked by Bunny Yeager (Bettie Page’s photographer) so I poly-popped up the décor and glopped on the lava. You’ll notice that it’s just starting to hit the head of Nani Maka being sacrificed…

I wanted to play around with the rough, easy grip organic mug and the high-gloss lava drips at the top and inside. So I just hand-molded it, then carved in to get the details. It ends up looking and feeling exactly like carved red stone.

And I like that the whole thing stands on a clean little Japanese-style bottom rim base.

Name, longitude and latitude, just in case you wanna go there:

Laytah!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 2:22 pm   Permalink

Cammo, The lava looks awesome! Great job.
Just looked through this thread for the first time.
I Love your style. Do you have any other threads?
MP

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jab tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 2:47 pm   Permalink

Hey Cam, Nice work on the Volcano Mug series. I like the contrast of the hot lava glaze and the textured mug.
Oh Yeah, Digging the Mask!
-Johnny B.

View Profile of jab tiki Send a personal message to jab tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 6:23 pm   Permalink

Mikester - Thanks, ya big lug. Nope, I don't have any other threads, not about carving or mugs anyway. I can only take so much abuse. (Look at my "Is Star Trek Tiki?" thread in Bilge. Egads.)

Jab - these really feel good in person, I originally made them perfectly round, then just picked 'em up and squeezed and dented until it felt just right in your hand. Japanese ceramics do that all the time for large handmade tea mugs.

They kind of freak out Babalu, which is almost impossible to do. I don't know if he likes them or not!

tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-16 11:53 pm   Permalink

Hey Cammo,
I like the mask you did! Nice clean lines. I made a mask for a friend for Christmas, not nearly as clean as yours though, he wanted one based on an African mask. They look like they could be brothers!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-17 05:58 am   Permalink

Tony - I like yours better! Like the sharp lines. Are those different stains you're using? And is it palm??? Mine took too long to make.

Love them African masks! They're more Tiki than Tiki!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-17 2:31 pm   Permalink

So here's the next Volcano mug.

It isn't a specific volcano, this is the only one that's dedicated to a Volcano Goddess of Fire, namely Pele. Here she is, peeking at the left, a giant cleft running down the front. Her hair wraps around and becomes island foilage.

This is a giant mug, about a foot tall.

She came from Honua-Mea, Tahiti, so I carved a picture of her in a sailing canoe, a sun and a moon above. She travelled many moons to get to Hawaii...

"Pele" has a big lava drip right down the back.

Laytah!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation