FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Great Book On The History Of The Coco Palms Hotel
Great Book On The History Of The Coco Palms Hotel
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-27 7:21 pm   Permalink

Picked this up in Kauai on a recent trip.....370 pages loaded with photos. Have not had a chance to read it yet, except for the tidbit about the involvement of Lyle Wheeler (South Pacific art director and Aloha Jhoe's owner). He was one of the archetect-designers for the Island Holidays Plantation Hotel in Hanalei. I recommend it just for the pix.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-27 9:06 pm   Permalink

That book was written by my Uncle David!!!!!! He was born and raised in Kauai... he's written a few books loosely based on his experiences growing up on the Islands, but The Story of the Coco Palms Hotel is his first published non-fiction work. Cool to see a TCer bought it!!!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-27 10:41 pm   Permalink

Way to keep the legacy alive, Kahaka

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-28 04:59 am   Permalink

Any ideas how to get it? It's unavailable on Amazon in the UK. I have a couple of close friends who got wed there ... it'd make a super gift for them.

[ This Message was edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-02-28 05:02 ]

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-28 05:37 am   Permalink

Very cool that your Uncle wrote that book Kahaka. What other books has he written? I got my copy at the Lihue museum gift shop and later saw it in another shop. It was printed in Hawaii. 54....he thanks Borders Books, so you might try their website otherwise this place has a lot of Hawaiian books including this one....

http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bhh/414799.html

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-28 10:52 am   Permalink

Seeing that book and reading what Jeff Berry wrote about Grace Guslander in Sippin' Safari really makes one realize how much many of our favorite Polynesian Paradises were tied to the work and presence of unique individuals...almost to the degree that bringing them back might seem futile.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 10:04 am   Permalink

Just checked out the newly 'revised' edition at Borders the other day.
What a great book!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-04 11:18 pm   Permalink

I recently read this book "cover to cover" and really enjoyed it. I honeymooned in Kauai in 1987 and could have stayed at the Coco Palms but chose the Sheridan Princeville instead. How foolish was I back then! Now that I'm into Poly Pop I really enjoyed turning the clock back a few decades and living the history of the Coco Palms, in great detail. After having read this book I feel like an old-timer who was there for every ceremonial palm tree planting! The stories of the antics of the staff and celebrities that stayed there was very entertaining. Grace had quite an imagination but I can see how it would make for a very engaging experience.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-05 7:29 pm   Permalink

We had planned to stay here for part of our honeymoon way back when ... we have the book though, and it's a great read ... hopefully they can find new owners that will be respectful of the history of the hotel and the desires of the local community.

Aloha

View Profile of Hanalei Tiki Send a personal message to Hanalei Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 7:56 pm   Permalink

I can't imagine why no investors have realized this opportunity?
It picturesque location and storied history seems like the sky's the limit on the investment return.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 7:56 pm   Permalink

Excellent photos of Coco Palms:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29331&forum=2&hilite=coco%20palms

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation