[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Rugbymatt Visiting Bay Area
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rugbymatt Visiting Bay Area
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-29 1:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

I will be out in San Francisco all next week for work and planned to stay over until Sunday. I was hoping to hook up with the local ohana for the 7th and 8th.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 3:17 pm   Permalink

Out-of-town Ohana are always welcome. Can you make to Forbidden Island Wednesday night?
I'm way over due for a Monkey Pod.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 7:15 pm   Permalink

Man, we're going to be out of town around that time...need to check the calendar. If we can make it we'll be there.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 10:08 pm   Permalink

Matt,

Wish we could make it up, but were there the following weekend. Have a great time and grab some meat pies at the New Zealander in Alameda!

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-02 2:34 pm   Permalink

Any suggestions on the what nights are better at which establishments? Friday at Forbidden Island and Saturday at Vic's or the opposite?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 10:44 pm   Permalink

Best nights at FI are Tues - Thurs..and Sunday. Fri and Sat are very packed.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 3:59 pm   Permalink

unless you are there early.
The 1st time I went to FI at 6:30 it was a ghost town.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 4:57 pm   Permalink

Ahhh, I'm now on a computer with a properly functioning keyboard.

RM, Fridays and Saturdays at FI bring out many of the rah rah crowds, to put it politely, those who are there to PAHRTAHY and get pissed...rather than enjoy the ambiance and drink quality. Which is okay for a business...but annoying to those who want to take in the place. The lines to get in start between 6:30 - 7:30 and continue until about 9:30 or 10:00. Usually no entry waiting lines on other nights.

If you can only do Friday or Saturday at FI, I suggest and agree with Jeff, go early, like at 5:00 when it opens. That's your best chance of enjoying the place, soaking in the ambiance, and talking with the bartenders -- and Jim of Trader Vics fame, one of the original FI bartenders who is now managing FI weekends. Hopefully there won't be a party (first come basis, so large groups get there early to secure seats together). Martin is usually at FI Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday.

Trader Vics Emeryville is fine either night. I suggest if you can, go on Saturday around 3:00 if the weather is good and sit out on the patio. It's really a great view and environment....that is after touring the place of course.

You should at least view the inside of the Kona Club when you're here too. It's down the street from Mt. View cemetary where Trader Vic is buried. Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al did the interior and it's beautiful. The drinks aren't fantastic though, so save your drinking for FI and TV. if you're pacing yourself.

Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-03 8:17 pm   Permalink

Rugbymatt, I will be at FI on Saturday at around 6, celebrating my getting older day. I will be partying(drunk), probably drinking in the ambiance like so many many times, and might even say rahrah! If you see a drunk, slick haired, tattooed, Japanese/Hawaiian guy, please say hello. Anyone willing to brave the weekend crowds(it really does get way crowded) should stop by as well. Very thirsty now.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-04 09:59 am   Permalink

Okay now that I am out here and getting adjusted things are falling into place. Here is a tentative plan:

Thursday evening (6:30 ish) Forbidden Island dinner and cocktails but I gotta work the next morning so I'll take it easy (no more than 6 drinks).

Friday evening (6:30 ish) Kona Club and then Trader Vic's

Saturday afternoon check out the cemetary and then on to Trader Vic's

Saturday evening Forbidden Island to meet up with the birthday boy

Please feel free to critique this plan as my ignorance of Bay Area logistics could make this untenable.

I need to move hotels on Saturday for my final night. Any suggestions? My flight out of SFO is on Sunday at noon.

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-04 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-04 09:59, rugbymatt wrote:
Okay now that I am out here and getting adjusted things are falling into place. Here is a tentative plan:

Thursday evening (6:30 ish) Forbidden Island dinner and cocktails but I gotta work the next morning so I'll take it easy (no more than 6 drinks).

Friday evening (6:30 ish) Kona Club and then Trader Vic's

Saturday afternoon check out the cemetary and then on to Trader Vic's

Saturday evening Forbidden Island to meet up with the birthday boy

Please feel free to critique this plan as my ignorance of Bay Area logistics could make this untenable.

I need to move hotels on Saturday for my final night. Any suggestions? My flight out of SFO is on Sunday at noon.

The Kona Club is within shouting distance of Trader Vic's resting place. You should combine the two! And...does Forbidden Island sling grub now? You need to hit the Conga Lounge as well! It's not far from the Kona Club.

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 10:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-04 10:17, SoccerTiki wrote:
[

The Kona Club is within shouting distance of Trader Vic's resting place. You should combine the two!

That's a good plan. Make sure you get in and out of the cemetery by sundown, though. They shut the gates promptly at sundown, and lock you in. [I know from personal experience; we had to call the police and got written a ticket.... ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-04 10:22 am   Permalink

Here's some of the places we hit:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22871&forum=16&hilite=woohoowahine

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 10:25 am   Permalink

No Tonga Room?
If you haven't been there, it's a must stop.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-04 10:41 am   Permalink

FI doesn't have dinner, but salty fried things are well represented. For dinner in the immediate area(though documented in another thread) I can suggest L&L Hawaiian BBQ for your basic plate lunch(go for the laulau and kalua pork combo), Kamakura on Webster St(for mellow sushi/Japanese food dining), also Bowser's(for thin crust pizza slices and pies) just to name a few. Remember to drive the speed limit in Alameda- the cops will pull you over in a second if you don't. See you Saturday!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation