Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Tour of San Diego
Tiki Tour of San Diego
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-01 8:19 pm   Permalink

SOHO San Diego is hosting "A Guide to San Diego's Tiki Modern Architecture" on March 16 as part of its annual Historic Home Tour Weekend.

More about the event at the link below (scroll down to "Tour D"):

http://sohosandiego.org/march_event/2008_tours.htm

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-01 8:38 pm   Permalink

Here is the text from Arriano's linky.

$50 for SOHO Members $65 for non-members
Tour Guides: Alex Bevil & Jaye Furlonger
2-7pm (Boarding at 1:45am)

Join urban archaeologists on a guided tour in search of San Diego's Tiki temples. See the hidden gardens of the Hanalei Hotel, walk under the soaring Half Moon Inn's porte-cochere, and wonder: "What ever happened to the Kona Kai?" More than ten diverse sites will be featured, culminating in a short presentation on Tiki and cocktail party at the Bali Hai, and a chance to mingle with local historians to talk about the city's unique Tiki Modern architecture.

Alex Bevil is a California State Parks historian, adjunct professor of the San Diego New School of Architecture and Design, and author of several award-winning articles on San Diego's architectural and military history in the Journal of San Diego History.

With a Masters Degree in Public History from USD, Jaye Furlonger is an authority on San Diego's bygone Hollywood Burlesque Theatre and works as an architectural historian for IS Architecture in La Jolla.

Weekend Wrap Up Cocktail Party
5-7pm
$30 for SOHO Members $40 for non-members

After three days of tours, lectures and shopping for your favorite architecture books, relax and have a little fun while learning a bit about an often overlooked piece of San Diego's historic architectural legacy. You will be greeted with a world famous Bali Hai Mai Tai and Pu Pu appetizers to enjoy while overlooking San Diego's beautiful bay front, a perfect ending to a weekend in paradise.

Note: No sales at the door. Advance RSVP ONLY.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-02 08:13 am   Permalink

Sound like fun anybody going ?

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 11:50 am   Permalink

Sixty-five clams for the two hour tour, 40 clams for a party afterwards? And you get one drink and (share?) an appetizer plate for that? Can we just crash in on the afterparty and buy a drink for 6.95 instead? That would be a savings of, um... lemme see, $98.05.

I applaud the whole idea, but the price is way too high for strolling through 10 places we've no doubt already been to. I'd sure like to see the exact list of the places visited, which doesn't seem to be provided....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

yeah the price is a bit steep for my blood. I will be at the Bali Hai that morning for my monthly trip with friends for brunch though. This sounds great but $65, eek.

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 6:56 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I thought it was a little bit steep as well. But thought I would post it just in case anyone was interested. Maybe I'll just show up and lurk around in the back.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2008-03-02 18:57 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 10:25 pm   Permalink

too rich for my blood, ill just be cruzin around to all the stops playin my uke and laughing at everyone who droped that much cash "haha i got here for free"

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 08:21 am   Permalink

Hey, I'll drive a party of four in my car to all the Tiki Locales they want if somebody will play bongoes and uke in the back seat and buy me a Rum Collins at the Bali Hai.

If you split the Collins, that'll be about 1.98 each.

The catch is, you'll have to put up with me talking about the Tiki places we visit....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation