Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music "A Night At The Beachcomber" With Adomono LP
"A Night At The Beachcomber" With Adomono LP
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 5:58 pm   Permalink

While searching through the Princeton Record Exchange this afternoon, I happened upon two Polynesian LPs that, as far as I know, are out of print on CD: "Music Of The Islands" by The Mauna Loa Islanders and "'A Night At The Beachcomber' With Adomono (Guitarist Fantastique)." The first album looks enticing enough, even going as far as to slap the label "A Hula Party" above the RCA Victor label. However, the second LP is what intrigues me. Judging by the liner notes, "'A Night At The Beachcomber' With Adomono" attempts to replicate the live entertainment dining experience of listening to guitariest John Adomono while visiting the acclaimed Don The Beachcomber's in Hawaii. How cool is that? I've yet to listen to either album but will be sure to post my thoughts when I do.

Has anyone here heard either album mentioned above? I'm surprised with all the world music flooding the market that the Adomono album hasn't found its way to CD. It looks extremely promising!
Peace,
Peter

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 7:24 pm   Permalink

The Adomono at the Beaqchcomber LP was on a share around here a long time ago. I put it up somewhere.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 01:52 am   Permalink

I have the Adomono album. As I am into guitar LPs from that era and Tiki this is a perfect match. Its like acoustic surf music, I could imagine Dick Dale getting the inspiration for Miserlou from seeing this guy.

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-04 09:48 am   Permalink

I also have the Adomono.
Did you know his son was also in the music buisness. I had some mail chat with him. He's doing musicians imitations (Prince, Tom Jones, Garth Brooks...).

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-05 7:25 pm   Permalink

"Music of the islands" by The Mauna Loa Islanders is one of my absolute favorite steel guitar Hawaiian albums (and I have 3,000). It's also one of my favorite image covers...very haunting. They use not one, not two, but THREE steel guitars and it is just tremendous mood-inspiring music of a tropical island in the late 1950s early 60s...On a similar note, if you run across any LPs by Malekowa & The Trade Winds, grab them as they are similar in their 3 steel guitar approach.
I should say, the Mauna Loa Islanders follow-up LP, "Hawaiian Punch" was a great disappointment. SAme instrumentation but without the heavy reverb giving it that "far away in the sunset" feeling, it just didn't work...producers fault.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 8:35 pm   Permalink

Now that,s a guitar!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-24 3:25 pm   Permalink

Anybody tried this download for Admono's album?
http://www.swankpad.org/blather/2009/02/09/adomono-a-night-at-the-beachcomber/

I can't access it from my iPhone

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 03:54 am   Permalink

It's down. Maybe Swanky can re-upload it...

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation