FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Complete Tiki Spain
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Complete Tiki Spain
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-31 10:46 am   Permalink

There is a Tiki Bar on Fueteventura in the Canary Islands called Waikiki, quite a big modern place with a few different bars and a restaurant, they have mugs too.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-02 5:49 pm   Permalink

Thanx CheekyTiki, anymore details? ...

So, BigBroTiki... No Sponsor, no deal? I think we have waited enough on this one. We need a selling pitch anyway. A draft.

95% of Spanish Tiki Bars are long gone anyway.

The four of us, El Maestro, Mister Naufrago, BigBroTiki (you representing the TC clique) and Arizaleta Myself (formerly known as Zeta), could make an OUTSTANDING book with 200+ pages.
I cannot wait any longer. I have to publish that book while the Maestro creator of the Spanish Tiki Art is alive. Right now he is great, but he is in his eighties and anyway, WHY WAIT!?

Nobody sponsor me and my field work. I have traveled far and wide in Latin countries in the search for tiki. It's the time to share it COMPLETELY.

BigBroTiki.
It's our Tiki duty and you know it.
We are waiting for you.
Tiki is in a political immobility crisis!

ˇViva la Tiki Revolución!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 6:00 pm   Permalink

I agree there is no time like now to do it. But it's not like I am sitting on my ass waiting for someone to kiss it. I am simply broke. I cannot travel, and without a few basic lights, I cannot adequately photograph the places. At this point, I would do it to simply document the places and people before they go way, and think about publishing later, but I am unable to do - verdad!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-02 6:42 pm   Permalink

BigBroTiki, I believe you. I am not suggesting you want kiss ass. I don't need to anyway... I need you to make this book as COMPLETE as possible.

If you cannot go to the mountain, let the mountain come to you.
Your German jaw would drop if you saw the art/story/pictures we have collected in a 50+ year period.
All you have to do is exemplify everything tiki outside of Latin Countries (Spain/Mexico mostly). Tell the story of tiki in America before the Spanish contact. Also TIKI IN EUROPE (like in Germany and France). Then, we put it together as a book, then we win.

DO IT.

You know you want it.

We could start a private forum maybe, to prepare the book, as a draft/database.

Tiki Central Unite!!!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 12:22 am   Permalink

The Waikiki Beach Club, Corralejo, Fueteventura

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 11:32 am   Permalink

Tiki Restaurant, Lounge and Bar, Paseo Maritimo 21, Torremolinos.

Don't know much more that the photos.

Books with pictures are nice.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 12:53 pm   Permalink

The way I am envisioning the book is that the only CONTEMPORARY photos in it will be of:

A.) Glamour photos of the many fantastic mugs

B.) Portraits of the surviving artists, and bar owners perhaps

C.) Interiors and exteriors that show ONLY authentic, vintage 70s Tiki elements, so that we do not blur the line between original, unique Spanish Tiki and today's nouveaux Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-04 1:37 pm   Permalink

CheekyTiki, Mahalo for sharing. I have never been there... Seems kinda new. What else do we know about it? Why don't you start a thread.

DustyCajun. Thanks for the support as always. Real tiki diplomat. I agree, books with pictures are nice.
I been to that place in Torremolinos. It's new and "chill-out" "Ibiza" spirited. No tiki mugs. No classic Polynesian cocktails. They have napkins with the logo printed on it put pretty much that's it. The kind of place "normal" people go to. Not my type. Give me dust, give me moldy tikis.

BigBroTiki

A) I want as little contemporary photos as possible. In that, we all agree. The older, the better.
The mugs already have GORGEOUS illustrations and pictures of them in situ. Anyway, we definitively need some of your Hollywood tiki style of lighting for many of them, so don't worry, there's hundreds of them to picture.

B) Portraits of the artist, there's just one main creator, and some other rare cases, but mainly just one person. I have a picture of him from the 70's where he is next to a tiki! Good book material. There's many other artist and famous people related to tiki in spain, but in a superficial way. Visitors, tikiphiles etc...

C)The few remaining Tiki bar owners really take care of their temples, so we can still get mostly unchanged environments, and detail shots. But also, the artist has MANY super high quality concept drawings of the fassades and construction details, decor... There's just so much material to choose from that we could put it all together online... Choosing only the very best.

The way I picture the book is we go Mondo.

Mondo Tiki.

5 continents 1 tiki god

Chapter 1 THE REAL THING / OCEANIA

Chapter 2 between wars avaunt-gardes (dada, surrealism, cubism, etcisms and tiki,) Museum stuff. Gaugain, Picasso, etc...

Chapter 3 New origins. USA the hyper real thing

Chapter 4 Tiki Spain (The cult exemplified)

Chapter 5 Tiki Europe

Chapter 6 Rest of the world Tiki (Mexico, Japan, Middle East, etc...) This chapter with a little help from our tiki friends.

Did you know that the 4 of us, el Maestro, Mr. Naufrago, Bigbrotiki and myself come from 4 different countries? Isn't that cool? International style. NOTE: (The Maestro wouldn't have to appear as one of the authors. He just deserves a whole chapter.)

I need you to orchestrate it. And to be responsible for the rest of Tiki Europe and the USA chapter.

Let's set a date for a first draft. We could publish them as fascicles and in the end bind them together as a book. (just an idea)

Let the new tiki golden age begin!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 07:00 am   Permalink

Zeta, I am very sorry but right now I cannot spend any time on this very worthy project. I have THREE very real deadlines to meet with writing and researching to be done. Plus I need to figure out how to make some money for my mortgage. These are very pressing concerns that need to be addressed first and foremost.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 8:36 pm   Permalink

Bigbrotiki,

after 5 years of privately talking about this book project with you, your answer sucks.

If you plan to write about Tiki in Spain in the future (which I know you will), please ask me first. I'm willing to help. I'm the expert and I legally represent the artist who created 95% of the art. He is still alive and kicking. remember that.

Just like you warn visitors about copyright infringements on your tikieurope.com webpage, I warn you. I will not tolerate fake or false credit on future tiki books, exhibits etc... on the Tiki Spain subject.

The artist deserves his credit. No more pretending he doesn't exist. No more playing dumb like Jay Strongman on his Tiki Mugs book... No more "innocent" ignorance.

Porcelanas Pavon are fake, like your Contemporary Idol mugs. You are stealing from the original artist and that is not cool.

Where is your urban archeologist rigor?
You cannot/should not document Incomplete Tiki Spain. This is the last unexplored tiki region and you know it.

My door is always open for you or anyone who wants to write a serious piece on the subject.

*****************************************************************************************************

WHO WANTS TO HELP ME AND MR. NAUFRAGO WRITING THE MONDO TIKI BOOK? We need/want an American/USA partner. Tiki author wanted. (If nobody is interested, we will do it on our own, but I really want the American collaboration because it's fair, necessary and needed. We want our book COMPLETE.)

Also, Hakalugi, if you could help us organizing a tikicentral group collaboration, I would be really thankful.

TIKI CENTRAL PEOPLE. I need your help to make this book and get it published in AMERICA. Home birth of the new Tiki cult.

This is serious.

Aloha or die.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 12:16 am   Permalink

Look pal, you got the passion, I give you that, but you gotta cut out that paranoid macho B.S.!!! You just accused me of "stealing" on my main public forum! When I had that limited number of mugs produced by P.P. years ago, I knew nothin' of no other artist. And you know what? I still don't know much more, only some vague claims you have been making about you knowing the originator of it all. That is wonderful! Now go do something with it! I have no idea what TikiEurope says, it is not my website. I have never made any "innocent" claims that P.P. or Kon-Ids were originals, because: Who really cares? Until you have not written and outlined the whole history of Spanish Tiki, it does not exist - except in your head. You have to educate and inspire people first to make them care.

I feel your pain for not feeling empowered to do this, but I am not holding some magic key to your ability to do so. I have pledged my support for the project, but first there has to be a project. Second, you gotta drop that persecution complex about the great injustices committed to your friend and get a sense of humor about it all. Tiki culture was also a business, in business there was always competition, and competition also meant copying, which meant stealing. You wanna concentrate on the negative? Be my guest, you and the other miss-understood artists of the world can wallow self-pity, but I tell you what: No one wants to hear it. If I would have written the History of Tiki from that angle, it would have been one long bitch session about how Donn Beach was ripped off by everyone, and how everyone tried to chisel in on everyone else's business, yada yada yada - what a load of fun reading that would have made! A real laugh riot, I tell ya!

Look: I know it's frustrating to have no publisher and no distribution, and I know you feel like time is running out. But I have no magic spell that will make it happen, I only got lucky a couple of times myself. In this world economy, our passion is a luxury that no one wants to go out on limb for. You gotta do it yourself or it won't get done. And I am doing the things that I know I CAN do with my limited resources and that WILL happen. YOU make something happen, I will pitch in, but it's gotta be more than indignant proclamations of all the perceived wrongs perpetrated on you.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 12:48 am   Permalink

I Concur.....

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-29 08:05 am   Permalink

It is 2012 now. Is the maestro still alive?

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 12:25 am   Permalink

zeta, why don't you want to make a book about tiki Spain only ? what's the point of incorporating USA and other countries wich clearly have not the same roots and identity on it ? you could just make an introduction on the tiki movement worldwide, but I don't see the need to talk about European Tiki or Mexico on the same book. Just make a book about the Maestro. When it's done, find a publisher, I'm sure you'll find one. You know we'll all buy it.
Why don't you interview the Maestro for that book, take pictures, then, you'll have all the answers you want and you won't be time pushing.

just my opinion.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-10 1:09 pm   Permalink

Kona Lei
Madrid

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation