FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Complete Tiki Spain
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Complete Tiki Spain
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-19 05:45 am   Permalink

Unfortunately this bar was closed when I discovered it, so I don't really know what's inside... it's located at C/ Francisco Cubells 52 in Valencia harbour area.

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-19 1:29 pm   Permalink

Found a tiki in the Desigual store at Maremagnum shopping mall, Barcelona.

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-30 20:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Cool! How did that tie in to the building -a hotel, I assume?

You are right Bigbro.
Spanish islanders(Canarias $ Baleares) developed their own Tiki style, closer to Tiki americano than to el tradicional Tiki español
Hawaiian art inspiration, faux lava or wood and thatch and are rarely seen on peninsular Tiki but were fairly common on the islands Tiki places

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-17 15:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it...Arte 4 ?

Zeta, nobody seems to be as excited about your posts as I am, so here I go:

Those Spanish designers sure liked that New Hebrides art, going further out there than many of the American mug makers of the mid-century. Here is another one from the book:

Nr. 215 New Hebrides, West-Ambrym, Large Slit Drum, Basel

But they also took the other culture group's designs, like for the giant Maori mug, the big Hawaiian wicker head, and the yellow Chicago Field Museum Tami mask mug from this book. Here is another one, harder to pinpoint, because the mug makers (unfortunately) altered the heads somewhat:

Nr. 399 Hawaiian Islands, Bracelet, Honolulu
-It was made from turtle shell. There is a better, color photo of it in one of the big new Oceanic art books, but I almost like those B&W photos better, they seem more graphic.

Found this "no daisy earrings" version of this bowl, it seems to be a more faithful representation of the original Hawaiian bracelet posted by Bigbro.

I`m curious about that color image.

Bigbro, would you be so kind...?

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 07:26 am   Permalink

Mister N., that is actually the same bowl, with the difference that mine is embellished with a more detailed paint job. That's because it is a sample sent to me by P. Pavon back when I was ordering my line of Kon-Id mugs from them, and they decided to make it "extra pretty"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 09:31 am   Permalink

Actually that bowl was manufactured by Arte 4 and I've never seen a similar PP one.
I think its design is nearer to the original artifact you posted.
That's why I asked for a sharper image of it.
But maybe I'm being geekish and the difference is just that it suffered a severe dishwasher treatment.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-12 09:31, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Actually that bowl was manufactured by Arte 4 and I've never seen a similar PP one.

Well, they -ahem!- "shared" a lot of the molds, didn't they?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-12 12:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-12 09:31, Mister Naufrago wrote:

Well, they -ahem!- "shared" a lot of the molds, didn't they?

It´s all in the mold?
Anyone into Tiki mug metaphysics?

The answer is simpler than the question.
Because of the artisanal quality of the tiki mugs made in Spain there are certain things that can't be “shared” and that´s why you can find substantial differences in Spanish mugs trough the years.

Some things doesn't fit the mold.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-01 09:13 am   Permalink

Aloha amigos,

I have the honor of having the creator of the Original Spanish Tiki Style as a personal friend. He is 84 and a real gent. He would be happy to answer to any questions about his creations.
So go ahead and shoot, what would you ask to El Maestro?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 4:59 pm   Permalink

Thank you Zeta, great to have that opportunity!

If he can remember: Why did he design the heads on this bracelet bowl like he did, different from the photo of the original ?

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 09:41 am   Permalink

Thank you Bigbrotiki, your question will be replied by El Maestro soon.

Everyone else:
Help me by asking questions please. Do not remain as a silent lurker. Participate. This is important for the History of Tiki Worldwide. As the ambassador of tiki in Mexico I invite you to show more interest in super high quality Latin Tiki and participate with me now. One day it might be too late.

Gracias.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 1:24 pm   Permalink

Bigbrotiki or anyone else of the tiki wise men, I have a question for you:

Who introduced receptacles for dry ice in tiki mugs?
Is it an Spanish Tiki Trademark?
I think so...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 4:46 pm   Permalink

Well, yes and no: Being that Spanish Tiki Culture had a time difference of several years to American Tiki, it seems likely that the use of dry ice in volcano bowls began in the U.S., and then probably was brought over by the proprietor of the House of Ming. But the elaborate way dry ice pockets were included into the design of the Spanish mugs is unmatched by any American Tiki vessels, in fact I cannot think of one that had that specific feature.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-07 11:46 pm   Permalink

What about the volcano bowl?
Which was the first flaming vessel cocktail?
Mai kai's mystery bowl?

Here's another big tiki ethnological question:

Have you seen the long straws in a tiki bar outside of Iberia?
I think that's another Spanish mutation...

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-08 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 16:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you Zeta, great to have that opportunity!

If he can remember: Why did he design the heads on this bracelet bowl like he did, different from the photo of the original ?

El Maestro answered:

"Pasemos a la parte técnica. Me preguntas por que no hice las mascaras pequeñitas que lleva esa vasija . En primer lugar he procurado basarme en algo que tuviera sabor Polinesio , pero no hacerlo exacto, esto es, me documentaba, pero luego tenia que aplicarlo a la esclavitud que te impone la materia , en este caso la porcelana. Esas caretitas me resultaban un poco desagradables y al estar sobresalientes de la vasija hubiera tenido que hacer unos moldes por separado para componer toda la pieza lo que aumentaría el precio de la misma y las roturas en el manejo de servir lavarlas etc. hubiera supuesto que no me la comprarían. Al cliente le tenias que dar un producto que fuera bonito y funcional. Podría haber realizado otro tipo de vasijas más arriesgadas, más vistosas pero a la hora de vender todo el mundo miraba que no se rompieran, o lo menos posible . No se si me he explicado bien referente a este punto concreto."

Someone please translate.

Next question?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation