FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Any other 'Davy Jones Locker' type bars around?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Any other 'Davy Jones Locker' type bars around?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-15 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-10 22:35, Koolau wrote:
How did this become a pirate bar thread?.

One of Davy Jones' primary characteristics is as a pirate:

Davy Jones’ Locker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Davy Jones' Locker)

For the villain in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, see Davy Jones (Pirates of the Caribbean). For the fictional place in the third film, see Geography of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Davy Jones’s Locker is an idiom for the bottom of the sea — the resting place of drowned sailors. It is used as an euphemism for death at sea (to be sent to Davy Jones' Locker).[1] Where as the name Davy Jones is a nickname for what would be the devil/saint/god of the seas. The origins of the name are unclear, and many theories have been put forth, including incompetent sailors, a pub owner who kidnapped sailors, or that Davy Jones is another name for the devil – as in, “Devil Jonah”. This nautical superstition was popularized in the 1800s.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-15 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2008-03-10 22:35, Koolau wrote:
I think Okolehao was mostly asking about subterranean bars with windows looking into an adjoining pool, as that was the main feature of Davy Jones Locker. You'd think there would be something like this in Vegas, but I've never heard of it.

Try the Albion Hotel in Miami Beach.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 01:08 am   Permalink

Vintage postcard

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 09:33 am   Permalink

unfortunately there will never be a bar like davy jones again.this place was the most fun in the 8o's..Waikiki beach fall into davys and then back for more sun and fun.
some of the best memories of my twenties.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-04 09:40 am   Permalink

They had great photo albums of some of the more memorable folks in the pool also. It was great going from the beach to the dark cool dungeon-like bar.

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 11:29 am   Permalink

There is this place in Oceanside.

http://www.myspace.com/hauntedheadoside

I've been in there once, too busy for my taste. It was decorated with lots of skeletons and fake gold (Pirates of the Caribbean kinda look)

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-04 5:34 pm   Permalink

The old Brookdale Lodge, just south of Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz Mountains, had a pool that could be viewed from below in a room called the Mermaid Room where they used to have a mermaid show. A 13 yr old girl drowned there in 1972 forcing the room to be closed. Supposedly the room is haunted by her ghost as well as by another young girl of one of the lodges owners who drowned in the creek (Clear Creek) that runs thru the dining room of the lodge...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-05 03:18 am   Permalink

The old Hacienda Hotel on Hwy 99 in Fresno had a bar with a pool window and a "mermaid" show. It was called - what else - the Mermaid Room! My parents used to tell me about it but I never found a picture until recently.

[ This Message was edited by: Fres-tiki 2009-04-05 03:29 ]

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 08:51 am   Permalink

The Underwater Bar at the Jules Verne Room in Florida

The Wreck Bar - final show last Friday.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 9:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-10 18:53, Hakalugi wrote:

There's a Poop Deck in Hermosa Beach...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/poop-deck-hermosa-beach

Closed two weeks ago.

Check out the poly-pop elements evident in this bamboo and carved wood beam:

Anyone been there lately? Or know anything about the Beach Broiler that used to exist nearby?

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation