FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 12:00 pm   Permalink

Hey Jared,

I focus on fading not just because because UV is especially bad at bouncing off the ground and through windows to fade art, but because halogen lights pump it out in high amounts - and those are what many people use in their dark tiki rooms!

Another factor is that environmental laws have forced fabric many manufacturers to switch to environmentally safer dyes - which, of course, fade easily.

Let's protect the value of our work by being aware of issues of permanence.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 12:23 pm   Permalink

Here's a little 8x10 velvet I did for the lovely and talented Ken Ruzic:

It was fun to do a small painting, something that didn't take so long to create!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 12:34 pm   Permalink

While I've got some time, here is my Tiki Mag Show work just before I packed it for shipping:

Ignore the geek hangin' out around my art, that's my loser identical cousin Larry-Bobb.

www.robbhamel.com

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 04:03 am   Permalink

Nice. Looks like a Gustave Dore print, but in color. Go small, Robbie Bobbie.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 05:42 am   Permalink

Thanks, Cammo, I love Dore!

Here's my Tiki Mag Show work, which no one could see because they were in the dark:

"A cool pad, baby 2"

"Burichapi blows it's lid"

"Tiki vignette 2"

www.robbhamel.com

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 06:04 am   Permalink

Hey Rob,

I have got to get back to the Rooth Gallery and take a closer look at these. It was sooo packed opening night that it was hard to move around in there. Hot too. I spent most of my evening outside talking with folks.

I have to say, your work is just stunning! I'm "over the top" blown away with it.

I know that it is very tough to paint on velvet. If you get a little paint smudge or some kind of mark placed in an area that you don't want it to be in, is there some way you can you take it out, or is that just it...painting done?

Man, keep pumping these out...you are "really" rockin the house!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 06:08 am   Permalink

god, I love tiki vignette #2. Fantastic.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 06:11 am   Permalink

oh, and the geek have a nice shirt.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 07:24 am   Permalink

Robb, I really enjoyed seeing your work at the Tiki Mag/Planet Rooth gig, even without good lighting they seem to be self illuminated, like you could see em with the lights off...

I found my eyes constantly drawn to them even with the rucus and chaos in the gallery.. I would seriously love to own one of your paintings in the not too distantant future

VERY classy stuff...

Cheers

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 09:33 am   Permalink

Gustav Dore on velvet indeed!
with those atmospheric clouds and soft waves lapping the shore...
you're too cool for school Robb!
friggin beatiful man!
BTW
Tiki Vignette and the Tiki moderne pieces are too stunning!
They belong in a respectable Tiki establishment....NOW!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 3:01 pm   Permalink

THANKS EVERYONE! I FEEL DA LUV!

Thanks Babalu - there is a way to remove paint from velvet... it is the one secret I will probably take to my grave! I'm thrilled you liked my work, but if you go back to the gallery, be careful, they have messed up, "I'll open the gallery when I feel like it," hours.

Virani - it's always nice to hear from you.

Tiki Trav - thanks for the boost on how my stuff looked at the gallery, I've been sweating that pretty hard since the same thing happened at the Hukilau.

llt - the Tiki Mod piece singed my soul, but I finished it! I also have another mod I finished at the same time that is waiting, waiting....

Thanks everybody!

www.robbhamel.com

Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 10:36 pm   Permalink

Rob, you have added some truly amazing beautiful pieces to your legend!

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 1:08 pm   Permalink

I just noticed you called me "lovely"
gee......thanks.

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-18 5:49 pm   Permalink

ok first of all, u may not use the term LOVELY in conjunction with a statement about Mr. Ruzic. you MAY use TALENTED along with the following approved adjectives: FEISTY, CRACK-ADDLED, SURLY, DEVIOUS, TAWDRY, MARMOT-LIKE, KOOKY and STICKY. I can add to this compilation upon request (i kid because i love).

but on a serious note. Your black velvets are just stunning. and a great counterpart to the more campy velvets of Ms. Watts and Mr. Murphy.

And thank the aforementioned Mr. Ruzic for offering to bring his easel down to the show, because when Ken, Brad Parker and I were hanging the show, we couldn't find well-enough lit spots on the wall for all of them. The easel was a great solution to give your tiki modern painting the focus it needs!!! i hope someone posts a photo for you.

congratulations on coming through in a big way for the show!

Mad alohas, tom

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 06:30 am   Permalink

Thanks Kahu, it's good to hear from another North Coast inhabitant. We should meet sometime at Bill Winger's shop, esp. if you haven't been there yet.

llt: "lovely is in the eye of the beheader," or something.

Big Toe... "Marmot-like?" That's killing me! "Sticky" is the one that gets my wife - she thinks you could do a great, "Ken Ruzic Madlib!" Ken's rescue efforts get a big thanks from me. I haven't thanked you yet, so... Thank You! We needed guys like yous guys there for those artists that couldn't defend their own art from all the laziness and negligence.

www.robbhamel.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation