FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
Keeping velvet tiki art alive...? TWO PIECES ARE WRAPPED! YEAH!
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 5:19 pm   Permalink

Grog - it IS about time! I was dealing with a case of LIFE again!

Mike - NOTHING dries in 300% humidity, and only dandelions and mildrew grow.

Wendy - I LOVE that pic, even though I took it! Thanks again for the kind words.

TikiG - thanks so much. This one will be familiar to some, but I'll have new stuff ASAP. This shrunken head piece is a tough, but refreshingly differrent one.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 9:11 pm   Permalink

Robb!! I know the feeling!! I have been distracted by "LIFE" and far less time or passion for fun projects like velvets... Great stuff though as always there buddy!! Wish you were closer to LA....we all need a good Velvet Painting club to let out our qualms in life and bond through the velvet "realities" we all conjure!! ~T

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 5:48 pm   Permalink

THOR - IF I COULD DROP IT ALL AND MIGRATE TO L.A. I WOULD DO IT RIGHT NOW (he says with fingers crossed).

Here's my progress on Vig.4 number two. I'm gonna be a little self indulgent and show more of my world.

Sunday session number one, 10:00am:

I don't remember showing my studio before.

I'm just beginning to show the main lighting. Everything is crude at this stage but I'm defining where things are so I can spruce them up later.

These are the hibiscus shrubs outside the studio window.

Sunday session number two, 8:00pm:

In the foreground is one of the hisbiscus shrubs. The studio window is near my right shoulder.

We finally got a heavy rain shower.

I've got a halloween wig on a tripod to help me do more realistic hair this time.

A recent pic of a similar subject

This is two weeks ago while I was finishing a copy of Vignette #2 (the last of the series). I'm using fake plants as reference. Anything to add a little more realism.

I want to thank anyone who looks at this. It is nice to show some of my surroundings because I like seeing those of other artists and thought I'd share mine. There's even a magazine dedicated to showing artists' studios.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

I personally love seeing pics of artists studios and the works as they progress! Thanks for posting these!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

I personally love seeing pics of artists studios and the works as they progress! Thanks for posting these!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 7:13 pm   Permalink

Robb, this is fun. I'd never thought of using silk plants for reference. I have a lot to choose from. I can use plants from Dan's tiki jungle room. So far I've just used photos from trips. I carry my camera every where we go in case I can use something I see. A terrific tip! Wendy

A small cornor of Dan's tiki jungle room.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-26 10:08 am   Permalink

Robert - Me too, I like knowing what world someone has created to help them create.

Wendy - If I followed the plants really, really closely, I'd spent an extra dozen hours on a painting, so I use em as helpful reference and let my imagination run with what I see.

Monday - 9:45pm:

I worked in my living room for a short session with the hair.

Tuesday (day off) - 10:00am:

This is a park near me we call Lake Mistake, along the Miami River.

I paint under the AK Steel Canopy. While I work the rising sun causes the metal to expand and pop and ping softly.

This color is unintentionally exaggerated, but you can see that the wrapping on the spears is looking pretty good now.

For Ohio this is pretty good scenery. That, and the peacefulness of the area draw me in.

Vig.4 is looking together now. All I have to do from now on is BRIGHTEN and REFINE.

I've been really jamming on this piece because it is a birthday present for someone, and I was very slow to get the email requesting it. My goal is to wrap it this Friday at the DaddyKatz Cruise In and ship it next Tuesday.

Thanks, everyone.

www.robbhamel.com

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:01 am   Permalink

Using FAKE plants to add realism. That's funny!

Looking good, Robbers.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-26 11:34 am   Permalink

Vig.4 is looking beautiful so far! Somebody is going to be really happy receiving it as a present

tiki since '67!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2011-07-26 11:35 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 1:39 pm   Permalink

I finally made my way through this entire thread. I have to say your work is just incredible! It looks like a lot of fun to paint on velvet, I may have to give it a go sometime. I was wondering; does the velvet "fuzz off" as you paint? If so, does it get your brushes all clogged up with fuzz?
Can you use the water mixable oil paints they have out now, or do you have to use traditional solvent based oils? Since velvet has a bit of "give" to it compared to stretched canvas, do you ever find you have stretched it out a little with the painting process? If so, is there anything you can do about it?

Sorry about all the questions, I am very curious about this medium since your results look so phenomenal. I never really cared for velvet paintings before I saw yours, they always seemed like such a kitschy tacky medium to me. You have opened my eyes.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 3:02 pm   Permalink

I just found a black velvet museum in Portland, Oregon on UTube. It's worth watching.

See Rob you are like Lay's potato chips if we start with one of your pages we just have to devour them all! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 10:34 pm   Permalink

Hi...Tiki-Tim doing a remote posting for Robb Hamel from Daddy Katz in Dayton,Ohio.Robb just finished up on his "Tiki Vignette #4",commissioned to Cory in London,England.This is simply an amazing piece of art and you'll love it.Finish time was 9:30 p.m.Here's a few pics of the artwork...

Finished painting going to "Cory" for his birthday

The Master at work

Couple of clowns (Robb and I)

The 3 Tiki Vignette's side by side

"And the Band played on"

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-30 07:47 am   Permalink

"I'm gonna be a little self indulgent and show more of my world"

Thanks Robb, you should do that more often

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 4:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tiki Tim for helping out, and for the support you always give. For those that don't know him, Tim is an amazing conversationalist, he always has great stories and always takes interest in what others have to say. Also, he seems to go to every Tiki event that has ever happened!

Vignette 4 now has to go to sleep for a few days while it dries... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I've always been happy with the design of Vignette 3, but for the third of the set, I did a little remixing of the color scheme.

This is the original one.

Here is the angry looking remix. I haven't finished retouching the pic, but the red in real life is also retina scorching in intensity.

I don't really have a preference, but I'm glad I'm experimenting with the design instead of repeating myself.

Anyone willing to throw their two cents in?

www.robbhamel.com

zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 8:15 pm   Permalink

Great job on that one Robb! Good to see you posting more often! I met Tiki Tim at Hukilau we had a nice chat about Tiki art. He does go to all the Tiki events, and has the video to prove it!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation