FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Got my St. Elizabeth Allspice (Pimento)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Got my St. Elizabeth Allspice (Pimento)
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-10 11:07 am   Permalink

Picked up a bottle of the St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram for my Birthday Friday. Man that stuff is good. Unfortunately it also carries a $38 price tag. ouch. If you can afford it, you won't be dissapointed in the quality or flavor.

Lee

(I-Tiki)

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 11:52 pm   Permalink

Have you previously made your own Pimento Dram? If so, how does home-made compare to the Made-in-Jamaica stuff?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 08:54 am   Permalink

I picked up a bottle here in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Little better on the price but still steep - around $24.

It compares with the Berry Hill and could substitute in a pinch, but its not as strong and is lacking the other spices of the Berry Hill (and the Berry Hill is a lot cheaper if you can get it).

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 7:59 pm   Permalink

Leisure Master,

Where in NYC did you find it? I've been keeping my eye out, but haven't spotted it.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-13 05:49 am   Permalink

Here's what I found online:

Shopper's Vinyard (Clifton NJ) has the 750ml size for $27.99, does mail order. Nice price right now on the Kubler Absinthe at ~$40.

In NYC, Crush Wine and Astor both have the 375ml at $23.99.

If comparing to other Dram, it may be more helpful to compare to home production/recipes and older/historic bottles of the Jamaican pimento dram. The Berry Hill has a strong molasses that seems be unique to the newer productions of Berry Hill. The spirit base is also different.

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-12 19:59, paranoid123 wrote:
Where in NYC did you find it? I've been keeping my eye out, but haven't spotted it.

Paranoid - van oosten has it right - I got it at Astor (Lafayette & E3rd I think) for about $24 bucks. Its pretty good, but a small bottle for the price. You may want to check out that deal in NJ or contact Reggae Treats to see if you can get some Berry Hill for half the price.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2008-03-13 06:26 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:45 am   Permalink

Leisure Master - if you know how to get Reggae Treats to sell the Berry Hill at half price, do let us all know! They've got some rums I can't get in my lousy home market.

The best price I could get with Reggae Treats was with three bottles and shipping by sea, came to $34.50/bottle ($28.50 + $18/3 bottles shipping). The Shopper's Vinyard 750ml came to $33.99/btl ($27.99 + $18/3 bottles shipping).

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 10:54 am   Permalink

van Oosten - whoa, I agree with you!

Its been a while since I ordered pimento (I bought 4 bottles almost a year ago) and they have really raised the price! I do like it a lot, but $28.50 is pretty steep, especially before shipping. I think I paid like $14 per bottle last year (like $20 each with shipping).

Sorry for the outdated info.

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2008-03-13 10:55 ]

tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-20 08:00 am   Permalink

Hi, Just picked up a bottle of St. Elizabeth, Wow a little goes along way. I added an 1/8 of a tsp. to a Bai Hai Mai Tai, and it was tasty and different. I've got all of Beachbum Berry's books, and found four or so recipes calling for Pimento in them. Anybody have any more, or is it kind of like experimenting by adding a little here and a little their to existing cocktails..Thanks for the help.

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 12:07 pm   Permalink

I really look forward to when i`ll get a bottle of this!
According to Eric, St Elizabeth uses a very high grade Jamaican Allspice that is only from Jamaica and an old-fashioned, high ester Jamaican pot-still rum. The cane sugar is from Europe and also the water.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 8:51 pm   Permalink

I picked some St elizabeth dram Allspice ($24) up today at Morell in NYC in rockfeller center (ONE rockfeller PLaza) they have velvet falernum ($17) en route too! this week.

you can buy from their website too.

falernum:
http://morrellwine.com/search.php?cat=wine&textfield=falernum&GO=%3E

Party on!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

Hi, Sneaky J, was that 750ml or 375ml on the St. Elizabeth? Thanks!

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:32 pm   Permalink

Morrell has the 375ml Allspice. More of the 750ml will arrive in mid-May. So if you like it, you'll probably have to ask your store to order in the larger bottle (as most retail likes the half-bottle to start).

hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-11 04:44 am   Permalink

For folks in the Boston area, I just ordered a half bottle of the St. Elizabeths from Cambridge Wine & Spirits next to the Whole Foods in Fresh Pond. They may be a source for others in the area too. They said the distributor didn't yet have access to the full bottles.

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-16 2:22 pm   Permalink

Again for those in the Boston area, I just picked up a full bottle of the St. Elizabeth's at Marty's Fine Wines in Newton (next to the Newton Whole Foods). They had a few bottles on the shelf at $35.

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation