FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Got my St. Elizabeth Allspice (Pimento)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Got my St. Elizabeth Allspice (Pimento)
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 5:45 pm   Permalink

yup, that's a tasty formula, i compared recipes here, think i'll update that thread with my st elizabeth tastings.

I got it at a good price- $17. just didnt taste how i was expecting.

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2011-05-29 17:45 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:32 am   Permalink

I've had a few bottles of the St. Elizabeth dram, but recently decided to make my own. I found it straightforward to make, but there's no whipping up a batch; the recipe I followed from Beachbum Berry Remixed takes 6 weeks of "aging" all together.

The result was worth the wait. It's a bit more cost-effective than the St. Elizabeth, and just as tasty. Made up an Ancient Mariner, a 3 Dots and a Dash, a Montego Bay, and a homemade Planter's Punch variant so far. The biggest surprise for me was that unlike making my own orgeat, cinnamon, and passion fruit syrups, this one wasn't dramatically better than "store bought". It actually came out quite similar to the St. Elizabeth. Next up: testing in a Trader Vic's Navy Grog.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-30 11:21 pm   Permalink

did you make the rum-based dram, or the water-based ram?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-05-31 6:14 pm   Permalink

I made mine rum-based; Cruzan specifically.

kevin

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:23 pm   Permalink

huh.

you oughta try the Chuck Taggart recipe linked above (uses brown sugar, and Lemon Hart 151)

heylownine

Posted: 2011-06-01 6:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-31 22:23, thePorpoise wrote:
huh.

you oughta try the Chuck Taggart recipe linked above (uses brown sugar, and Lemon Hart 151)

I think I'd be more inclined to try that recipe were LH151 not in "constrained supply". 2.5 cups is a lot of Hart Of Darkness and 151 Swizzles!

I've bookmarked it to try sometime, probably when (if?) the new LH151 formulation is on the market. Interestingly, the process isn't much different from the Remixed version...mix all-spice berries with rum, let sit, combine with a simple syrup and let sit again.

I want a Navy Grog now.

kevin

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 12:04 pm   Permalink

I'm impatient; i made sample sizes of the various homemade recipes (a few ounces of each), didnt age them at all, and compared them in cocktails the same afternoon.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 12:49 pm   Permalink

My bottle of home brew Pimento, sent to me lo these many years ago by JTD is now down to the dregs. I ordered the St. Elizabeth as it is sanctioned by Martin Cate.

All these lists are missing my new favorite, Jasper's Jamaican. I first made it ages ago as the recipe calls for it and gave it a 4 ( out of 10 ). At the Rumposium at Hukilau, I was served a version made by the Rum Rat Pack and it was a great drink that I came home craving. After a few attempts, I got the taste as they made it by halfing the lime and pimento and doubling the sugar. Excellent! But pimento depleting.

It is such a simple recipe that it will be the benchmark when the St. Elizabeth arrives early next week. I hope it is good as I got 1.5 liters of it! More next week.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 3:05 pm   Permalink

It is very strong- and sort of astringent.

you will definitely want to reduce portion used from that called for in the drink recipes, imo.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 11:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 12:49, Swanky wrote:
All these lists are missing my new favorite, Jasper's Jamaican. I first made it ages ago as the recipe calls for it and gave it a 4 ( out of 10 ). At the Rumposium at Hukilau, I was served a version made by the Rum Rat Pack and it was a great drink that I came home craving. After a few attempts, I got the taste as they made it by halfing the lime and pimento and doubling the sugar. Excellent! But pimento depleting.

checking my bar notes, i did something to similar effect when i made the Jasper's Jamaican-- i doubled the rum!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-16 3:25 pm   Permalink

Jasper's Jamaican is a fine drink. On my favorites list. And if you like St. Elizabeth, give The Bitter Truth Pimento Dram a go as well. It turns the allspice up to "11", so ease it in gently or it will overpower your drink.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-07-16 5:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 12:49, Swanky wrote:

It is such a simple recipe that it will be the benchmark when the St. Elizabeth arrives early next week. I hope it is good as I got 1.5 liters of it! More next week.

Sounds like I've got some Jasper's Jamaican work to do!

Kevin

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 06:39 am   Permalink

Got the St. Elizabeth and it is indeed a good brew. It is not nearly as strong as the home brew I was using, but that is okay as I had to half it in most recipes... My home brew I had a slight hint of cinnamon.

I like it and the Jasper's recipe with it is the same, except use the full amount of pimento liqueur it calls for. Perfect!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-07-22 8:38 pm   Permalink

Finally got to the Jasper's Jamaican tonight (homemade pimento dram)...really excellent indeed. Might try one next with Smith & Cross and see how that bounces off of the allspice.

Kevin

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation