FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kona Kai Apartments, San Gabriel, CA (apartments)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kona Kai Apartments, San Gabriel, CA (apartments)
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-10 5:35 pm   Permalink

Name:Kona Kai Apartments
Type:apartments
Street:6415 N. Rosemead Blvd.
City:San Gabriel
State:CA
Zip:91775
Phone:(626) 286-7828

Description:
Just down the street from the Bahooka, the Kona Kai Apartments is the sister property to the Kona Pali Apartments pictured on pages 222-223 of the BOT.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-10 5:51 pm   Permalink

Well, I searched and searched and even asked someone else to double check for me, and all I could find was something on the Kona Pali with all of the pictures missing.

I was killing a little time Saturday afternoon and decided to stop by the Kona Kai Apartments and take some pictures.

I hung out for a while, but no one went in or out so I couldn't through the door. I thought the mail man would be my way in, but he went off somewhere and didn't come out before I had to get going.

Their are about a dozen tikis running down the front of the building. Each one is different.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-03-10 6:04 pm   Permalink

Nice work Kate. Thanks!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-10 7:24 pm   Permalink

I love those carved beam Tikis at the Kona Kai/Pali. Done by the some artist (Leroy and Bob haven't made up their mind if it was Andy Bumatay) who did the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village apartments (R.I.P. see photos of Tiki beams for comparison here http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24905&forum=1&vpost=319657&hilite=Kona%20Pali ), they are such a great example of modernist stylization. That carver really "got" the various island styles, and the went to town recreating them in his own style.

The entrance way Tikis follow the Pan-Polynesian concept: Hawaiian, Maori, Marquesan,and Cook islands (?) style. Some of the shots in the BOT actually ARE from the Kona Kai. I am happy to see the management is taking good care of theTikis, the paint job looks much better than before.

Here are some unpublished photos from the Kona Pali, taken Sept. '93, before the '94 Northridge quake hit it:

This "Bug Tiki" is why I think Andres Bumatay had something to do with the place.

And the amazing pool hut, only at the Kona Pali. The contrast of the bright sun was so high I underexposed this shot and could not use it in the book. But just now I played around with it and it shows the amazing Tiki panels on the front pretty well, the sides had three stylized Tikis each.

And I also just yanked up the contrast on that shot in the BOT of the entrance gable panels that showed residue of painted masks on them, and now you can see two of them much better...Tiki forensics at work :

These panels were cork, and then had the masks spray painted on with stencils....that's what I am assuming. Like I say in the BOT, this gable must have been a sight to behold, with ca 60 growling Tiki masks greeting the tenant entering underneath.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-03-10 19:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 12:26 pm   Permalink

Great pictures Kate. How refreshing to see a place like this where the tikis aren't either rotted or painted like clowns. I think you should call that number and pretend to be a prospective renter. That'll get you in so you can snap lots of pics for us!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 4:02 pm   Permalink

I am sure the manager is Tiki-friendly, those Tikis on the sign are relatively new. And I think he put up that freestanding one recently. So just ringing the bell and asking to take pics should work, after all you are just advertising the place. I always wonder what attitude owners/managers of remaining Tiki temples have nowadays, some must have gotten past the "Tikis are outdated" stage. Maybe someone even showed him the BOT and he liked it.

PS.: I did make it in there years ago, and there was not much to see, no pool rec room hut like at the Kona Pali. The main advantage is that you don't have to shoot the entrance bridge area with the Islands mosaic thru the front glass. Was there water in the moat inside, and did they have plants around it?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-03-11 16:07 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-11 16:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Was there water in the moat inside, and did they have plants around it?

There was water, but no plants.

Quote:

On 2008-03-11 12:26, GatorRob wrote:
That'll get you in so you can snap lots of pics for us!

I did take a few more shot of the exterior.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 6:35 pm   Permalink

Well, that's it. I'm moving. Kona Kai, here I come! Oh wait. I'm married. And have kids. And a cat. And a mortgage. And two cars. And... nevermind.

There's always the pictures.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-11 7:02 pm   Permalink

Great! EACH one of these designs is sooo cool, some of them are more successful, some less, but they all deserve to be documented. Has anyone been to the Kona Pali recently and can report about its condition?

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-03-11 8:11 pm   Permalink

Kate - thank you for those great pictures of the tikis at the kona kai! Some just look like they would have been a blast to carve! I'll have to stop by the next time around the bahooka during the day...

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 8:19 pm   Permalink

The barely visible Tiki faces remind me of the shroud of turin - was Jesus a Tiki!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 09:07 am   Permalink

$850 for a one bedroom.
That is a great price.
Sorry, no openings

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 03:21 am   Permalink

Belatedly replying to this thread to thank Kate for all the eye-candy. Those are some of the coolest Poly Pop tikis I've ever seen! Pretty amazing to have so many original pieces still in-situ at one location......

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-05 7:38 pm   Permalink

Ok, so I can't move in. I say let's all send 30 ft. carved tikis up the sides of our tract houses & see how much the neighbors bitch . Well I call it home improvement anyway.....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 5:44 pm   Permalink

Since I've recently become more adept at getting people to let me into places where I don't actually belong, I thought I would return to the Kona Kai to try my luck. It was much nicer taking pictures on this side of the glass.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation