FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 09:49 am   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27025&forum=1&137

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-24 10:12 am   Permalink

My bad. I thought it would have been in 'Locating Tiki'.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 5:40 pm   Permalink

About as good as it gets! From a June 1966 Playboy featuring an "Urban Luau" and some fine Steve Crane Ku mugs in action. I saw some other posts about this article but the pictures were missing so here it is again.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 12:42 am   Permalink

The cover of this lp by Don Tiare is credited on the back as having been photographed at the Luau in Beverly Hills.

On the table you can just make out one of the same Luau glasses that Jeff Berry used for the cover of his Grog Log:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 8:41 pm   Permalink

According to Jerry Schilling (one of Elvis Presley's 'Memphis Mafia') in his book 'Me & A Guy Named Elvis', Lisa Marie Presley had her sixth birthday at the Luau, 'one of her favorite restaurants'.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 11:48 am   Permalink

Sabu nice find on that record, great interior shot. How the heck did you pick up that Luau glass in the photo?

Donhonyc, cool story on Lisa Marie Presley.

I scored a set of the diner and drink menus from the Luau.

Here is the larger diner menu.

Nice story and description on the inside of the menu.

Cool rendering of the exterior.

The smaller drink menu with great graphics.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 10:50 pm   Permalink

Here is the full postcard with the exterior photo of the entrance that is at the start of this thread.

Also two more album covers from the Surfers entitled Tahiti and The Islands Call that are credited with being shot at Steven Cranes Luau.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 11:09 pm   Permalink

Nice old coaster as seen on ebay.

Same graphics on the Tiki as the matchbook Taboo Dan posted.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-01-25 23:12 ]

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-07 12:36 pm   Permalink

Found this ad in an old 1962 Los Angeles Dodgers souvenir yeerbook.

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 3:00 pm   Permalink

Love the nautical rope font! That should have been done more often. The "Tiki Tu" apartments in Santa Monica used it on their building, unfortunately it looked pretty frayed by the time I photographed it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 6:58 pm   Permalink

Beachbumz,

Looks like you found some cool ads in the old Dodgers yearbooks. I have seen sports team programs with Tiki ads from several different locations.

I came across this Luau drink menu on ebay a while back...... only thing is it is from the La Jolla Country Club! Another fine appropriation in the grand Tiki Transmission Tradition.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 7:47 pm   Permalink

Ha! They even copied the shape of the building! And the menu icons are from Trader Vic's. And Don's I think.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-10 12:18 am   Permalink

As soon as I can find my box with my old programs and newspapers I'm going to go through them and hopefully have some more luck..
I thought that rope font was pretty cool though..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 08:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-09 18:58, Dustycajun wrote:
Beachbumz,

Looks like you found some cool ads in the old Dodgers yearbooks. I have seen sports team programs with Tiki ads from several different locations.

I came across this Luau drink menu on ebay a while back...... only thing is it is from the La Jolla Country Club! Another fine appropriation in the grand Tiki Transmission Tradition.

DC

Wow, great find! But according to the address on the menu, this was not at the La Jolla Country Club. The location is now a Su Casa restaurant. And it has been Su Casa since at least the mid-1970s.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:13 am   Permalink

I spotted this bit about the Luau in Beverly Hills in the L.A. Times' obituary of Lena Horne yesterday:
--------------

Horne's long-suppressed anger over the treatment of blacks in white society erupted in 1960 when she overheard a drunk white man at the Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills use a racial epithet to refer to her.

Jumping up, she threw an ashtray, a table lamp and several glasses at him, cutting the man's forehead.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-horne-20100510,0,6377622.story

You go, Lena!

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2010-05-12 10:14 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation