FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-14 7:59 pm   Permalink

A pair of photos taken one night at the Luau, Beverly Hills in 1970 both came up on eBay together. I managed to grab the one with the girl and volcano drink because it was well-hidden, without any good keywords. The other, however, was a little more public and was snagged by a friend. Here are the auction photos. When mine arrives in the mail, I'll try to get some close-ups of the details.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 11:53 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Great score on the photo. First time I have ever seen those big yellow diner menus from the Luau. I have the smaller red drink menu that has the same PNG graphics. Look forward to some close ups when you get the pic.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-06 10:50 pm   Permalink

This is a great photo of Jack Lemmon and friends at the Luau that I grabbed from the web a while ago, just found it. Really good shot of the Tiki lamp.

I also spotted these Luau highball glasses on ebay, first time I have seen them. Anybody got one in their collection for a closer look?

Lastly, I had to include the photo of a young Stephen Crane being greeted by Don the Beachcomber at a party held at Don's house in 1946. An early influence for Stephen no doubt.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 10:45 pm   Permalink

Another one of those cool Polaroid photos of the Luau popped up on ebay, this one with the ladies getting their drinks.

Still waiting to see one of those yellow dinner menus up close.

Here is a story and photo from the 1962 LA brochure that was recently posted on TC showing the interior of the newly remodeled Luau Garden Room.

This was the era when the old bamboo style that looked like this...

Turned into the new Tiki style that looked like this.

DC

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 4:46 pm   Permalink

Who are the people in the Polaroids ?

Could that be Steve Crane (circa 1970) and some of his "girls" ?

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-05 5:41 pm   Permalink

Here's a story to go with all the great images of the Luau in this thread...

Beverly Hills Weekly July 6, 2000

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
goldila

Posted: 2011-07-22 11:48 pm   Permalink

The original Luau was the best. Ate there many times. Loved the decor; it really felt like you were off in a tropical paradise. Never ate at the new one but heard it wasn't very good.

View Profile of goldila Send a personal message to goldila      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-04 1:56 pm   Permalink

Here is the front of a matchbox I just came across (the other side was blank)...

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 9:12 pm   Permalink

Tiki Tom D, thank you for that great Steve Crane article. A well written piece (interesting that in July 2000, the word "Tiki" was nowhere mentioned in connection with Steve Crane).

I was especially glad to find out more about Lila Leeds, because I had been curious about it ever since DC had posted the photo of her with Steve Crane. I had known of her and her drug bust with Bob Mitchum for years, from a vintage men's mag.

She was a real hottie,

and I was fascinated by her good looks in the courtroom photos:

That Marihuana bust with Robert Mitchum was really milked by the media...

...and it ended up to be her most enduring role:

...while Bob continued to have fun with the ladies:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-30 09:04 am   Permalink

Here are some really nice old photos of the Luau from a historical photo website that sells them.

Great shot of the interior.

Exterior

I never noticed this Luau sign in any of the old photos before.

DC

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-12 7:51 pm   Permalink

Steve Crane enjoying a Scorpion Bowl. Dated 1967.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2012-01-12 23:16 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 05:47 am   Permalink

Considering some people's penchant for cannibal tiki on here I was damned surprised no one had posted this matchbook. Well here it is.

interior

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 12:24 pm   Permalink

I picked up this old news-wire clipping showing Steve Crane and a nice Tiki at the Luau Restaurant in Beverly Hills.

The photo was from a 1958 story on his daughter's murder of gangster Johnny Stompanato.

DC

Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

Photo from Los Angeles Public Library Collection. January 14, 1960 reads, "Walter Reade Jr., left, president of Walter Reade Inc. and chairman of board of Continental Distributing, Inc., lights exotic incense candle as Charles ("Chuck") Weiss, creator of AromaRama, holds incense burner. Occasion was luncheon at Luau Restaurant in Beverly Hills where Reade announced Los Angeles premiere of first scented motion picture, "Behind The Great Wall," Friday at Four Star Theater."

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-01 1:45 pm   Permalink

Digging through some my old restaurant industry magazines I came across these few items.
A pic of the controller of the Luau on location, speaking out on the hassle of credit cards-1967

Then this article about Stephen Crane's new concept "The Californian"-1969

OGR

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Did some straightening. - 2013-03-01 17:44 ]

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation