FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
The Luau in Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-01 8:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-30 09:04, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are some really nice old photos of the Luau from a historical photo website that sells them.

Great shot of the interior.

S'cuse me, but I cannot concur on this being The Luau, it must be a Trader Vic's. Check out the Janus Tiki table lamps...long ago, these led me to identify the decor of "I am Cuba" as being of Vic origin. And I think I can make out some T.V.'s Salt & Pepper shakers on the table on the right. Furthermore that looks like Chines ovens in the background...and that big Tiki on the left reminds me of the phone pole Tikis outside of the Beverly Hills Trader

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 09:46 am   Permalink

Excellent eye Bigbro! You are absolutely correct. Here is a close up the tables where you can see the Trader Vic's lamp and Salt and Pepper shakers.

You can also see the Trader Vic's coaster on the tables.

The website must have mistaken the photo because of the Tiki poles and railing that look like the ones at the Luau.

So, that leads us to ask "Which Trader Vic's was this?".

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 8:54 pm   Permalink

Looks like these Maynard Parker photos Sabu posted in this thread confirm that shot is from Trader Vic's Beverly Hills.

Here's another angle:

...and the big Tiki Bigbro referenced:

I also recently bought a slide with this image, showing some folks in fancy dress:

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 5:48 pm   Permalink

Nice slide Trad'r Bill. I dug up a few more photos of the Luau (and NOT Trader Vic's!).

Here is a nice photo of the building.

The front entrance sign.

And my favorite, Steven Crane with Earl Muntz and the 1953 Muntz Jet owned by Cheryl Crane parked out in front of the Luau.

Sports cars and Tiki Bars!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 6:45 pm   Permalink

Sports cars are nice, as are Blond Bombshells at the Luau.

Photos from 1958 of Sharon Lee Street at the Luau in Beverly Hills where she had her first date with David Street.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation